PLanet Waves Pedalboard Kits

satannica

• Members

I have this one:

prise5.jpg

Super satisfied with it. I made cables for my pedals, and also leads for my guitar to board/board to amp.

I have tons of spare cable left over as well, all I'd need is some more jacks to expand on it. The cable is stiff but not overly so, its dead simple to work with, and the jacks are a nominal size that fit well on a board and feel secure when theyre all done up. It's killer!

• Members

Blue is older I believe. Just different colour jacks.

Yes the jacks are bigger than the solderless Lava and George L's, but I prefer the Planet Waves if you're going the solderless route. Much easier to put together and faster. Never once had an issue with them. Lava is more finicky and a bit more complicated to assemble but hey, you save a few millimeters.

I've got multiple PW Pedalboard kits, including both "colors" - the only difference is that the plugs are slightly different in terms of color and cosmetics. Either plug type will work with their cable from either kit.

The secret to the PW stuff is to make sure you push the cable into the plug far enough when assembling things. Don't push until you feel resistance - push past that. Once it's fully seated, hold it in place with one hand while tightening the screw with the other hand. When I make them this way, they are rock solid - I've yet to have a single failure.

As far as the size of the plugs, they're no worse than most other right angle plugs. If you want them really small, then go with Switchcraft pancake style right angle plugs... short of that, the Planet Waves plugs are about as thin as everything else out there that I've tried.

• Members

This is great. Thanks for your input Phil. I think I'll go with these!

I use a big Gator Pedal Tote which has more than enough room for a little plug real-estate. I was considering soldering some up, but the parts come up to more than a PW kit and it's less faffing.

• Members

bad luck with solderless stuff, specifically coreX2 and not the PW stuff. but i just find, personally, more reliability out of soldered stuff.

my advice would be to buy one or two of these solderless kits for the few years it takes to really finalize your board how you want it, then cut and solder cables to fit, only having to make new ones if you buy a new pedal with jacks in a different spot or something.

speaking of which, 2016 presidential election will depend on the candidate's stance on establishing a global jack-location standard. top or side?

• Members

Personally, with the solderless stuff if a cable dies on me I can just unscrew, trim an 1/8th of an inch out, and reattach the plug and she's working again. This takes maybe 30 seconds at a show vs. however long it would take with a scratchy soldered cable to open up, fire up the soldering gun and dab a blob on there to fix. If you ask me, it's a far more practical system. I can keep the extra cable, screwdriver and the trim tool in the front pouch of my Pedaltrain case and not really ever have to worry about buggy cables.

• Members

Personally, with the solderless stuff if a cable dies on me I can just unscrew, trim an 1/8th of an inch out, and reattach the plug and she's working again. This takes maybe 30 seconds at a show vs. however long it would take with a scratchy soldered cable to open up, fire up the soldering gun and dab a blob on there to fix. If you ask me, it's a far more practical system. I can keep the extra cable, screwdriver and the trim tool in the front pouch of my Pedaltrain case and not really ever have to worry about buggy cables.

there is this.

but the tradeoff is that theoretically, if you do it right, you dont run into that problem in the first place.

Archived