I played an entire set using the 'wrong' sound last night

Lanefair

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

View Post

I played a set last week where no matter how many times I went to tune my guitar, everything just sounded a hair off. I'd tune, get everything PERFECT, strum a few chords before the song to check, and then still be off just enough to keep me making stinkfaces and asking everyone else to tune thier {censored}. Last song in, I realize the tuner on my M9 has had the reference pitch knob turned somehow from 440hz to 445hz. Needless to say, I didn't tell anyone and just quietly turned it back. facepalm.gif nothing more offsetting than playing a set just a little sharper than everyone else.

real lolz

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, never left a pedal on unknowingly, but a couple shows ago, I was playing my Cyclone II, and accidentally hit the pickup switch (there are three pickups, and three switches, each an on/off for it's respective pickup) so my signal cut out. I didn't realize what I had done and was freaking out. Checked the usual suspects guitar>board cable, board>amp cable, then went and jiggled every single patch cable on my board... realized after the song was over.

facepalm.gif

• Members

so many moons were play San Francisco civic/Bill Graham Civic Auditorium now, for about 15000 folks, and the fuse blew in my 2210, had to mic the jambox, and get down just the same, oh yeah the jambox is a sony boombox w/two " speakers, it sound like ass, but the show must go on...

• Members

playing live with my old band we hit the middle 8 of a song where it dropped down to me playing an arpeggio on my own. The last part I had played was an octave up part with my whammy. I didn't realise but instead of turning it off I'd missed the switch and moved the treadle to some random point so when I start my arpeggio it's just a horrible dissonant mess. Embarrassing

• Members

my bandmates were supposed to grab all my gear for me, forgot my pedal board and the power cable to my keyboard. I generally use a decent amount of effects, delay, fuzz, reverb etc....

Played the whole set with nothing but an amp and a guitar, turned out good, but I had to get pretty loud to drive my amp enough.

It sure makes you feel naked not having pedals.

• Members

We played Voodoo Fest on the main stage this year. The biggest gig of our careers and my fuzz pedal for some reason didn't give me any fuzz. Just a loud, almost clean tone. 90% of our set is played dirty and I was using a Fender Twin. The only pedal I had was my Catalinbread Silver Kiss. Great pedal but doesn't get near the amount of distortion I need for most of our set. I had to make it work though.. played the whole set with light overdrive. The show went fine but it definitely ruined my fun.

Fuzz pedal worked perfectly next time I plugged it in, by the way.

• Members

i think i left my octave on for half a song once.

i didn't really notice 'cause i was half drunk and thrashing about,

but someone standing in front of my board (it was a floor show) told me after we finished the song.

must have sounded {censored} considering we're decently riffy.

i also got my cable stuck on my mic stand and knocked it over at around the same point in the set.

that show is in my top five though fersher.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by omni

View Post

I'm sure the 5 drunks in the bar did not notice the difference.

This, always this. Increase the number to taste. In New England, even when you have a decent draw the stage is still small and awkwardly shaped.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Max Factor

View Post

yeah... left my wah on for a set. thought my guitar sounded weirdly mid-rangy and thin, but figured it was just the in-ear-monitor set up that the sound guy couldn't seem to get right.

he was a problem too, but the wah thing was all me.

Did you let him know why?

• Members

^ At least you know that's how it works, and I'm sure your bandmates know that you know. It's annoying when a bandmate goes into a gig with fresh strings, all confident that he did it right, and you keep asking him to retune and he says "Why?".

And you're reluctant to ask him to stretch the strings because 1) He won't believe that's a normal thing to do, and 2) He'll probably break one or at least overstretch.

• Members

its insane how many guitarists dont know how to properly restring their instrument. and i mean, considering how easy it is, every guitarist should know how to properly set up their instrument as well.

people pay repair dudes silly amounts of money to do {censored} they could do themselves. i know, i do setups all the time at work.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by echodeluxe

View Post

its insane how many guitarists dont know how to properly restring their instrument. and i mean, considering how easy it is, every guitarist should know how to properly set up their instrument as well.

people pay repair dudes silly amounts of money to do {censored} they could do themselves. i know, i do setups all the time at work.

yo bro, ever cut a graphtech xl nut from scratch???

I got a pre cut ima gonna radius/shape/depth in the morn, and see how it goes...

never used one before, but I want the best tuning stability possible for the strat...

tell me moar...

Archived