I played an entire set using the 'wrong' sound last night

Lanefair

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

View Post

I played a set last week where no matter how many times I went to tune my guitar, everything just sounded a hair off. I'd tune, get everything PERFECT, strum a few chords before the song to check, and then still be off just enough to keep me making stinkfaces and asking everyone else to tune thier {censored}. Last song in, I realize the tuner on my M9 has had the reference pitch knob turned somehow from 440hz to 445hz. Needless to say, I didn't tell anyone and just quietly turned it back. facepalm.gif nothing more offsetting than playing a set just a little sharper than everyone else.

Oh yuck, did anybody in the crowd notice? I always feel like that kind of thing is super noticeable and then people tell me how awesome the set was.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by TomVanDeven

View Post

I played a set last week where no matter how many times I went to tune my guitar, everything just sounded a hair off. I'd tune, get everything PERFECT, strum a few chords before the song to check, and then still be off just enough to keep me making stinkfaces and asking everyone else to tune thier {censored}. Last song in, I realize the tuner on my M9 has had the reference pitch knob turned somehow from 440hz to 445hz. Needless to say, I didn't tell anyone and just quietly turned it back. facepalm.gif nothing more offsetting than playing a set just a little sharper than everyone else.

Oh yuck, did anybody in the crowd notice? I always feel like that kind of thing is super noticeable and then people tell me how awesome the set was.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by valvestate

View Post

Well, not really entire set but most oftentimes, I forget to turn off my Wah after I use it... killing a few seconds of supposedly, the 'right' sound that I should play smile.gif

This happened to me once for half a set. I left my wah on after the last song of our rehearsal before our next show which was backlined. I kept thinking, "Damn these amps are really {censored}ing bright". It took me a while to get a sound that worked and it was still pretty bright. About the 4th song in I went to go hit my wah and the sound got really dark and no wah. Totally lame. facepalm.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by valvestate

View Post

Well, not really entire set but most oftentimes, I forget to turn off my Wah after I use it... killing a few seconds of supposedly, the 'right' sound that I should play smile.gif

This happened to me once for half a set. I left my wah on after the last song of our rehearsal before our next show which was backlined. I kept thinking, "Damn these amps are really {censored}ing bright". It took me a while to get a sound that worked and it was still pretty bright. About the 4th song in I went to go hit my wah and the sound got really dark and no wah. Totally lame. facepalm.gif

• Members

I have yet to play guitar live so I don't really have any pedalboard mishaps. Up till now I've only played keyboard and bass in bands that played out. But I do have couple of "wrong sound" stories.

The guitarist in my old band has a vintage Fuzz Face that is really crucial to his sound. We were doing a lot of 60's psychedelia-type stuff. During soundcheck it stopped working. This was about 5 minutes before we were supposed to go on and it was a huge crowd with local TV and radio people in it. We pulled the pedal apart and found the black battery snap wire had broken off the PCB. The sound guy, amazingly enough, had a soldering iron. In about 2 minutes I made the repair put it back together and we went back on stage. Talk about stress! He steps on the pedal and still no sound!! He ended up playing the whole gig using the distortion on his amp with no footswitch by manually switching channels. That sounded like ASS! Next week at practice it fired right up! No idea why it didn't work that night.

The other story is a keyboard story. In that same band I used a laptop with an M-Audio keyboard controller running a bunch of softsynths. During one gig it just started master detuning roughly 1 1/4 steps. Sound wasn't too good so I couldn't tell what was going on but I knew something was off. But when the song was over it was fine. Then during the next song I think it did it again. Then it was fine for the rest of the night AND next practice. Next gig, OF COURSE, it did it again in the first song and this time I figured it out because it stayed that way for a while. Unfortunately, there was no way to tune it up roughly 1 1/4 steps so I was {censored} out of luck. It was just randomly going in and out of tune. I ended up sitting the rest of the show out. That was not fun. I threw it out and bought an Akai MPK. Much better board and has never let me down.

• Members

I have yet to play guitar live so I don't really have any pedalboard mishaps. Up till now I've only played keyboard and bass in bands that played out. But I do have couple of "wrong sound" stories.

The guitarist in my old band has a vintage Fuzz Face that is really crucial to his sound. We were doing a lot of 60's psychedelia-type stuff. During soundcheck it stopped working. This was about 5 minutes before we were supposed to go on and it was a huge crowd with local TV and radio people in it. We pulled the pedal apart and found the black battery snap wire had broken off the PCB. The sound guy, amazingly enough, had a soldering iron. In about 2 minutes I made the repair put it back together and we went back on stage. Talk about stress! He steps on the pedal and still no sound!! He ended up playing the whole gig using the distortion on his amp with no footswitch by manually switching channels. That sounded like ASS! Next week at practice it fired right up! No idea why it didn't work that night.

The other story is a keyboard story. In that same band I used a laptop with an M-Audio keyboard controller running a bunch of softsynths. During one gig it just started master detuning roughly 1 1/4 steps. Sound wasn't too good so I couldn't tell what was going on but I knew something was off. But when the song was over it was fine. Then during the next song I think it did it again. Then it was fine for the rest of the night AND next practice. Next gig, OF COURSE, it did it again in the first song and this time I figured it out because it stayed that way for a while. Unfortunately, there was no way to tune it up roughly 1 1/4 steps so I was {censored} out of luck. It was just randomly going in and out of tune. I ended up sitting the rest of the show out. That was not fun. I threw it out and bought an Akai MPK. Much better board and has never let me down.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Milkman

View Post

I definitely noticed, but it took awhile to find out why. Thankfully that was set 1 of 3 that night so it was nice and short and I caught the problem. Kind of lame they put that knob in the tuner mode on the M9.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Milkman

View Post

I definitely noticed, but it took awhile to find out why. Thankfully that was set 1 of 3 that night so it was nice and short and I caught the problem. Kind of lame they put that knob in the tuner mode on the M9.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL

View Post

I have been involved in terrible 'wrong' sound situations when I used to gig. But alas, my sound is always 'right' now because in my old age I've become a bull{censored} bedroom wanker.

Pretty much same. In my harder, younger years, after checking all my pedals etc before playing I'd always step into the first song with some delay left on and spend 30 seconds up and downing my rig before realizing. Can't say a whole set tho.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BAXANDALL

View Post

I have been involved in terrible 'wrong' sound situations when I used to gig. But alas, my sound is always 'right' now because in my old age I've become a bull{censored} bedroom wanker.

Pretty much same. In my harder, younger years, after checking all my pedals etc before playing I'd always step into the first song with some delay left on and spend 30 seconds up and downing my rig before realizing. Can't say a whole set tho.

• Members

I've done the Wah thing and the EQ pedal thing, many times. The most irritating was a quick loadin gig- I did the whole gig thinking the monitor was way too bright... Then when I was packing up, realized the amp high EQ knob accidentally got maxed out. I usually run it just under noon.

Archived