The Band

goodhonk

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34 View Post
Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.
Yeah, on the CS model it's done with a push/pull which is how the original one was done. From Guitar Player 1976:

Robbie, on your red Strat there's a small grey object right in front of the bridge pickup.

Robertson: That's the one modification that I have on my guitars. I can pull the rear knob up so the guitar is in a straight Strat pickup line; if I push it down it kicks in that rear humbucking pickup.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by mdrake34 View Post
Yeah I knew he moved the middle pickup and had it "tied to the bridge pickup" (his words), i.e. wired in series. I would love to have a series blender pot wired into my strat, but I can't find a schematic for one.
Yeah, on the CS model it's done with a push/pull which is how the original one was done. From Guitar Player 1976:

Robbie, on your red Strat there's a small grey object right in front of the bridge pickup.

Robertson: That's the one modification that I have on my guitars. I can pull the rear knob up so the guitar is in a straight Strat pickup line; if I push it down it kicks in that rear humbucking pickup.

• Members

Comment from the Youtube video that Phil posted:

"This is my first time listening to this album. I just finished. I've never been so profoundly moved by an album before and I just got done crying. This...this is music right here. Thanks for the upload.?"

That about sums up my feelings. The self-titled album is a great, good-time rock & roll album, but I find "Big Pink" to be profoundly moving (same with the first Little Feat album, for that matter).

• Members

Comment from the Youtube video that Phil posted:

"This is my first time listening to this album. I just finished. I've never been so profoundly moved by an album before and I just got done crying. This...this is music right here. Thanks for the upload.?"

That about sums up my feelings. The self-titled album is a great, good-time rock & roll album, but I find "Big Pink" to be profoundly moving (same with the first Little Feat album, for that matter).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soapbladder View Post
I like their work backing Dylan, like John Wesley Harding, most of all.
Planet Waves is probably my favorite studio album they did with Dylan. Thinking about it that may be the only 'studio' album they did together, unless you count Blonde on Blonde as a "Band" record or The Basement Tapes as a "studio" record. I suppose maybe Self Portrait?

I have Like a Rolling Stone on 45 and it's b/w Please Crawl Out Your Window which never made it onto an album but is a really cool track. There is a version floating around with Bloomfield/Kooper and the Bringing it All Back Home/Highway 61 players but the single version with The Band was really raw and a great track.

I do have the tapes from John Wesley Harding that Garth and Robbie played on but I don't believe any member of The Band was actually on the released record. IIRC it's some of the people from Blonde on Blonde (Charlie McCoy, etc...).

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by soapbladder View Post
I like their work backing Dylan, like John Wesley Harding, most of all.
Planet Waves is probably my favorite studio album they did with Dylan. Thinking about it that may be the only 'studio' album they did together, unless you count Blonde on Blonde as a "Band" record or The Basement Tapes as a "studio" record. I suppose maybe Self Portrait?

I have Like a Rolling Stone on 45 and it's b/w Please Crawl Out Your Window which never made it onto an album but is a really cool track. There is a version floating around with Bloomfield/Kooper and the Bringing it All Back Home/Highway 61 players but the single version with The Band was really raw and a great track.

I do have the tapes from John Wesley Harding that Garth and Robbie played on but I don't believe any member of The Band was actually on the released record. IIRC it's some of the people from Blonde on Blonde (Charlie McCoy, etc...).

• Members

Self Titled is definitely my favourite of the two.

I love every single track on that album, I've listened to it a million times. The production and the sounds are fantastic, and the multi instrumentalism on that album is phenomenal, especially Garth Hudsons Piano, Accordion, Organ, and Horn playing..........

• Members

Self Titled is definitely my favourite of the two.

I love every single track on that album, I've listened to it a million times. The production and the sounds are fantastic, and the multi instrumentalism on that album is phenomenal, especially Garth Hudsons Piano, Accordion, Organ, and Horn playing..........

• Members

Get both. While you're at it, don't neglect Stage Fright or Cahoots. Cahoots is probably my favorite out of all, and full of worthy songs that don't get much play but I have a hard time finding a song I don't like off of any of their first four studio albums.

• Members

Get both. While you're at it, don't neglect Stage Fright or Cahoots. Cahoots is probably my favorite out of all, and full of worthy songs that don't get much play but I have a hard time finding a song I don't like off of any of their first four studio albums.

Archived