Which era is the classic Jazzmaster sound?

Cliff Fiscal

• Members

Used to have an AVR Jazzmaster, and though I never had an actual vintage jazzy to compare it to, I REALLY liked that guitar. I'd assume it's as close as you can get to the classic specs as far as new non-CS goes...

Anyway, I sold that one, fooled myself into thinking I could get by with just a tele and a strat. Which isn't impossible, but still, neither can do what a jazzmaster does.

So I got a mij instead, the version with the bound/inlay'd neck. The stock faux jazzmaster pu's honestly weren't awefull imo. More strat-like than anything else, but in a rather good way imo. I still replaced em with the same pu's that were in my old AVR jazzmaster though, for a more jazzmastery tone. Nice improvement, but Phil might have a point there. I wouldn't be surprised if swamp ash or really dry old alder or whatever make a nice difference compared to basswood.

Anyway, those fender jazzmaster pickups are nothing to sneeze at imo. I haven't tried ALL the jm pickups out there, but as far as bang for the buck goes, I bet its hard to beat the Fenders and the Seymour Duncans...

• Members

Used to have an AVR Jazzmaster, and though I never had an actual vintage jazzy to compare it to, I REALLY liked that guitar. I'd assume it's as close as you can get to the classic specs as far as new non-CS goes...

Anyway, I sold that one, fooled myself into thinking I could get by with just a tele and a strat. Which isn't impossible, but still, neither can do what a jazzmaster does.

So I got a mij instead, the version with the bound/inlay'd neck. The stock faux jazzmaster pu's honestly weren't awefull imo. More strat-like than anything else, but in a rather good way imo. I still replaced em with the same pu's that were in my old AVR jazzmaster though, for a more jazzmastery tone. Nice improvement, but Phil might have a point there. I wouldn't be surprised if swamp ash or really dry old alder or whatever make a nice difference compared to basswood.

Anyway, those fender jazzmaster pickups are nothing to sneeze at imo. I haven't tried ALL the jm pickups out there, but as far as bang for the buck goes, I bet its hard to beat the Fenders and the Seymour Duncans...

• Members

My CIJ has a Japanese JM pickup at the bridge and an American JM pickup at the neck.

Contrary to most opinion around here I like the Japanese JM at the bridge, which gives me lots of goods sounds for my "old school "punk covers band.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phil O'Keefe

View Post

Do you know what year your Jazzmaster is, and what type of wood it's made out of?

I ask because some MIJ / CIJ guitars are basswood, and on some of those, a pickup swap won't give you the "classic sound" you're after. At least IMO.

I think it's alder.

• Members

I went through the same thing with pickups. I have a CIJ jazzmaster with Q serial number, so it is made of alder with the nice thick rosewood board. I ended up buying some antiquity II because of the demos and the price, and I couldn't be happier. The trick is to use your volume knob as a tone control. It will sound a bit harsh with the volume full up, but when you turn it down a notch or 2, it sounds perfectly balanced and a more rounded, even tone. The volume is still very healthy as well, so you won't lose any gain.

Archived