NGD: Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster. With Video Demos.

Noise...

• Members

I'm picking one of these up next month, once my Musician's Friend employee discount kicks in :thu: They caught my eye as soon as they were released on the GC and MF websites. I've never been a huge fan of the JM bridges, but from what I've read, the bridges on the Blacktops keep intonation better than the Classic Player JM and the MIA re-issues.

• Members

Well. I went and tried a sunburst one out at a local shop here on my lunch break.

They are definitely made well. The finish and fit were top-notch. The sunburst was perfect, and the back of the neck was beautiful. The fretboard was nice and dark, and all of the hardware was solid. The action on the one in the shop was a little high, and the rolled edges weren't as smooth as I had hoped.

I played it through a small Vox Nighttrain tube amp, and it sounded really good. The humbucker was definitely... uhmm.. humbucker-y? The neck pickup sounded fantastic, and I definitely agree with OP that the 'middle' position sounded fantastic.

Things I didn't like about it... The tailpiece couldn't be 'locked' like a normal jag/jazzy. Lack of tone circuit. No gig-bag included. No "headstock swirl". Regular tuners instead of vintage tuners.

That sounds bitchy, and I know most of not all are cost-cutting measures, I would have shelled out an extra $50-75 for a few upgrades.

Just my 2

• Members
Well. I went and tried a sunburst one out at a local shop here on my lunch break.

They are definitely made well. The finish and fit were top-notch. The sunburst was perfect, and the back of the neck was beautiful. The fretboard was nice and dark, and all of the hardware was solid. The action on the one in the shop was a little high, and the rolled edges weren't as smooth as I had hoped.

I played it through a small Vox Nighttrain tube amp, and it sounded really good. The humbucker was definitely... uhmm.. humbucker-y? The neck pickup sounded fantastic, and I definitely agree with OP that the 'middle' position sounded fantastic.

Things I didn't like about it... The tailpiece couldn't be 'locked' like a normal jag/jazzy. Lack of tone circuit. No gig-bag included. No "headstock swirl". Regular tuners instead of vintage tuners.

That sounds bitchy, and I know most of not all are cost-cutting measures, I would have shelled out an extra $50-75 for a few upgrades.

Just my 2

• 2 years later...
  • Members

I play Rockabilly'ish music and love my tele sound so.. And traded a G&L tele for a NEW blacktop on CL.. after a good set up and string change I took it to practice to compair next to the tele.. first off, this guitar is Awesome. Trem is decent, Like stated" neck is super fantastic. balance is acceptably. but the HB only sounds awesome when ripping a LEAD with the overdrive going..  It really does fall short when playing clean and switching from neck to bridge.... the treble on the neck P90 kicks the HB's azz. Sparkly and tone rich.. HB is muddy Mid'y and way quieter. But using the Middle position you can actually hear the beauty of the HB..

The action was way out of whack.. lowered every sadel, and then raised the bridge.. adjusted the neck a half turn tighter, and all set.. The biggest problem was the G-String intonation, had to take it almost all the way back, so I had to cut the spring in half to get it to go all the way back, and once I got it back that far, the end of the screw was sticking up far enough to touch the string, so got out the dremil and had to cut the screw in half...

I've decided to put the P-Rail pick-up in it, with a switch to choose the P-90 or the Rail... seriously digging the guitar, just have to mod it some.... the tone pot is almost useless, between 10-3 it make very little change, then completely falls off fast, I use tone a lot because my tube amp is so bright and crisp.. so this issue might need to be addressed when I mod the pickups.. I'm guessing the pots are 500k and maybe a .047 cap might do the trick..

Archived