NAD: Voxy Heritage Beautifulness

Josh33

• Members

Snagged a really great deal on an amp i've wanted for years but have never had the cash or the stones to get. Well a guy on craigslist was selling one and we were able to make a deal. A very good deal in fact!

It's an ac15 Heritage handwired series that were discontinued a few years ago, right before vox released their current handwired series.

I love it!

voxxy

It's in great shape overall. Sounds wonderful. Everything i was worried about with this amp (Would the volume be controlable, would it be too bright, etc..) have been completely settled. It's actually very usable. No matter how i dialed the tone in, it sounded great. The breakup is wonderful, but it really is LOUD when you get to that point. luckily ill probably be using it for a clean tone with just a hair of breakup so it shouldn't be a problem. This amp shows me how much i need a tube swap and a new speaker in my deluxe reverb. I haven't heard how it takes pedals though. I will find out today and report back tonight!

I'm glad I didnt get the ac30 version. That would have been way too much amp.

anyone else have one of these?

• Members

Class A, all around!

Which translates to mean larger/heavier transformers, in particular...to dissipate the heat of running in full conduction 24/7.

Congrats, and I wish I had one too...I mean, the Goldtone is a glorious 30W semi-vox, but there are often times when I'd prefer it was 15...maybe even 5 watts...too bad we end up changing the EL's  bias and voicing characteristics each time someone comes up with a moar reduced-output roarmachine. 

• Members

Yep, it has the EF86 as Tom said. I'm going to try and do a short video today (the people in my apartment complex want to kill me) and then ill take it down to the studio sometime this week so i can really crank it. This amp has the celestion alnico Blue in it. Correct me if im wrong anyone, but i think when these came out originally you could go with the alnico blue or a lesser quality speaker. Everything i have heard and read told me to get one with the blue, and after experiencing it myself, I see why. I've played many different speakers over the years, but nothing of a really good quality and i can't believe the difference.

the other thing that has surprised me about this amp is the power scaling. I was a little skeptical and worried that there would be a large loss of response and tone, but there is almost none! What differences there are, sound great. I know this amp is a completely unrelated different beast compared to my AC4, but the power scaling in the AC4 is just okay. There is a huge difference in tone and headroom in the ac4 (understanadble for a 4 watt amp) but i thought that vox would have put a little more effort into actually making it sound nice. With this ac15 though.. they really got it right.

Archived