Help me choose my compressor

Nellster91

• Members

Hi everyone, 

First post so lets jump right on in. I'm upgrading my pedal board at the moment to true bypass single stomp boxes and am in need of a compressor. Currently running a Boss CS-3 but have been looking at the following options-

Keeley Compressor

Diamond CPR-1 Compressor

Route 66 Compressor

Barber Shop Tone Press

Mad Professor Forest Green

JHS Pulp 'n' Peel (favourite so far)

I need quite a versataile pedal as I play in a function band but don't want anything too squashed sounding, I prefer open compressors. Has anyone had any experience with these pedals and would like to share their opinions. Many thanks.

You'll find a lot of people around here really like the Diamond Compressor. The Barber Tone Press has a lot of fans here too. Compressors with blend controls are pretty popular here in general. Really though, there's not a dog on that list.

Probably the closest thing to my "go to" compressor pedal on your list would be the Pulp 'N' Peel. Unlike the other pedals on your list, I've never tried the JHS, but like that pedal, the comp pedal I use the most is also based on the old Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer. It's definitely a bit different than the more commonly used MXR Dyna Comp / Ross compressor circuit.

• Members

diamond is not aquishy, and is why I like it. stops your cleans from soundin enimic, brings out the higher strings on the bridge pickup and best of all feels amazing when you play. The thing I really find important in regards to compressors has a lot to do with what it feels like to play through one. If that makes sense. 

Archived