I want an old Selmer amp. Badly.

NITEFLY182

• Members

Im going to a music store to look tomorrow. I know of a head and 2x12 cab by some off-brand that sounded great but it was $399 for the pair and Id rather pay less. There is something about these amps where its 100% treble and no bass that appeals to the lo-fi lover in me.

• Members

Im going to a music store to look tomorrow. I know of a head and 2x12 cab by some off-brand that sounded great but it was $399 for the pair and Id rather pay less. There is something about these amps where its 100% treble and no bass that appeals to the lo-fi lover in me.

Selmer amps are definitely NOT all treble and no bass. The few I've heard are like the bastard son of an AC-30 and an old Marshall- all the bass and grunt of the Marshall with more vicious Vox high end. Not all the models have tremolo either of course, but then you knew that I guess.

Most of the time I see them on UK eBay, you can add at least another $1000 to the price your local guitar shop wants, so if it is a Selmer, and it is that price, and it's fairly original, you should be able to flip it to a collector for more money. I know that SirHC (who probably spends all his time over at Haunting Mids now) is into crusty old british amps- I swapped the non-working croc-skin Selmer head I bought from a pawnshop for my Jazzmaster...

• Members

you might be the guy to ask then - There's a Selmer Leslie cab(/amp?) near me that i'd quite like to try out.. any idea what the model might be? or how much its worth?

its about 2 foot square.. maybe i'll try and take a pic this weekend..

• Members

^ are you sure it's Selmer, not Sharma? I know that Sharma were a british competitor to Leslie, but I haven't heard of Selmer rotary speakers before, which means next to nothing, since I'm not a Selmer expert by a long shot.

There seems to be a really wide gulf between what old stuff like that will sell for on eBay (where the collectors are, and the people who know what they're selling) and what you might pick one up for from the average guitar shop or Freeads or whatever. I'd base your decision on whether or not it works and seems like a fair price rather than what it might sell for- Selmer is like most other companies that have been around a while, it has its more and less desireable/collectable periods, so tread carefully if you think you're entering into a collectors' market rather than a pawnshop score :thu:

• Members

The croc skin ones are a year or so later than that bluegray ones I think from what little research I did into them, and they are more sought after. That price is ridiculous though, I think he's a bit of a chancer asking that. I also believe the Beatles used the thunderbird which might cause the price of those amps up.

now you've got me tempted by some of the T&B heads on ebay again :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Selmer, go for the later black ones for sound alone (look for 4 preamp tubes). The reverb on their amps sucks, not worth the effort, and all that I have had had reverb on the channel that did not have trem. The Trem *is* usable, so that is fun. Beyond that, the later metal faced ones are a bit lower gain from what I have had, but they all have a great Syd Barrett era Floyd grind. Very Marshall-y. English Bob, still have the croc one, lovely amp.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I want an obscure old selmer tube amp for long winded repetitive arpeggiating with tremolo and reverb. That is all.

I have an original Selmer Mark 2 ('63-'65)T&B 50 for sale in excellent working condition.

Not a museum piece as crock-skin has worn off but, a great sounding pro amp in VG condition. Recently serviced by one of country's best tech. Quite loud.

One channel sounds like old Marshall, the other like old Bassman. Currently