Pedalboard-friendly summing / mixing boxes

To the pro audio crowd, that box will seem super cheap. To the pedal crowd, not so much.

Quite right. The Roll Folcrom is $775 new. Even the SM Pro Audio PM8 is $400 or so "street." Compared to that, this is quite inexpensive... but to the pedal community, $150 for a box that "doesn't really do anything" seems kind of high.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Nice suggestion - thanks.
:cool:

Passive or active? Or is it a passive summer with an active gain make-up stage?

Oh and - I agree - the case looks fantastic. Great job on the finish! :phil:

Both, sort of. The toggle at the back switches between passive, and passive summer with active make-up.

• 1 year later...

jdlmpls wrote:

I think this might be the most cost-effective solution:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/projects/15-boostersrouters/68-mini-mixer-project

Looks pretty easy for anyone that can melt solder...

I have not built that, but I did have a quick look at the schematic. It would probably work fine for many people, and it would be a relatively easy DIY project, just as long as you know how to solder. Even a complete beginner could probably get that built without too much trouble if they practice their soldering on some scrap parts and wire for a bit before attempting the actual build.

Thanks for the link! Are you considering building one? If so, please let us know what you think.

PS Welcome to HC. :)

• Members

DRGUN wrote:

so more or less something like this, powered, can set input/output gain, sum from stereo to mono and isn't a $3000+ rack unit...
sumbox.jpg
?

this sums a stereo signal to mono. I think phil wants stereo summed to stereo?

Yo Phil, assuming the reverbs end of chain going into 1 amp. Whats the benefit of sending a stereo signal, into a mono reverb like this?

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I have one of those 6 channel Rolls MX28 mini VI mixers. Its got 3 stereo pair line level inputs and one stereo out, pan and volume knobs. I found it handy for mixing several keyboards together. Don't see much use for it with pedals. I do run dual amps and I do separate some of the pedals to run separately on each amp but a line level amp is too hot for pedals. It might work for rack gear connected to amp effects loops but I cant think of many uses in a pedal chain.

Archived