Old wood...

companyman

• Members

...big moving out of gear post holidays for me, sold my Orange rig, buncha pedals and guitars, picked up a '48-ish Harmony Broadway archtop, and a Teisco Spectrum 220, along with my 70's Mij Pan semi-hollow, I think I have been bitten with the "Old Wood" syndrome, call it mojo or what you will but the Brazilian Rosewood fingerboard on my Broadway feels like velvet! Birch is a new kind of wood for me, it sounds different than Mahogany Spruce and Maple, the ladder bracing is a funky reverby sound , my only recent guitar left is my Sg Special.... Thinking about selling it to buy an old Valco or Kay....I'd post pics but I use a mobile device......anyway is the old growth wood better or is it hype?

• Members

I make my bowls out of Gaboon Ebony or African Blackwood now. Its density, resistance to rot and heat is second to none.

For the main body, I can use anything from redheart, applewood, maple, and marblewood.

As long as you've got a good piece it really doesn't matter, I don't think. Right piece for right job though.

Go with what looks/feels right to you.

To me, birch is kind of mid-way between mahogany and maple - not as dark / warm as mahogany, but not as bright as maple.

Older wood often certainly does have a certain mojo to it... it's better quality wood (a lot of the really good stuff has been used up and not replaced) and it's had years and years of seasoning. IMO, it often makes a difference.

• Members

Lefort1 knows....crikey that is a lovely lot that! I like to think that old guitars have stories left that they need to tell, with the right kind of guitarist picking up on the vibe. The day I got my Broadway I wrote a sort of primitive bluesy sorta fiddle tune country cluckityfunktion ... Never done this kinda thing before, it came with the guitar.....and suddenly I can play slide like I mean it....yep came with the guitar .

• Members

companyman wrote:

Nice, yeah mine has a different style of lettering, more blocky, which I have read online means late 40's ...

Yup,

Mine has the 'Steel Reinforced Neck' stencil, which pegs it to the 50's, maybe 60/61-ish.

I hesitate to show a pic of the entire thing...I did a CL-rescue from a drughouse...thought I might die in there, but the guy only wanted $35...It's (almost) the most scarred-up thing I've ever played.

Not too bad from the front:

Broadway1

But she's been rode hard / put away wet more than once:

Broadway2

...damn meth-head luthiers...

• Members

Older wood often certainly does have a certain mojo to it... it's better quality wood (a lot of the really good stuff has been used up and
not replaced
hasn't had a chance to regrow as we cut down the planet's forests in a ferocious desire to sell millions of dumpster-bound Starcasters every XMas
) and it's had years and years of seasoning. IMO, it often makes a difference.

Fixed!

Archived