One of HENDRIX MARSHALLS up for sale on EBAY !!!!

Dr. Tweedbucket

• Members
Originally posted by Marshall Freak

Even if the amp, isn't Jimi's amp, to say "I'd only pay 400-500 for it" is retarded. The amp, alone, without being owned by Jimi is worth about 10 times that much.

Seriously, that thing is beat to death. I wonder if it even works? :confused:

I would be ashamed to pull that heap out on stage and then expect it to last the night........... :o

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread is so full of stupidy it's {censored}ing incredible, it's like every single one of the biggest retards that read this forum posted the dumbest thing he could think of in this one thread.

• Members

Originally posted by ptah

This thread is so full of stupidy it's {censored}ing incredible, it's like every single one of the biggest retards that read this forum posted the dumbest thing he could think of in this one thread.

Are you a politician?

• Members

I stress the fact that this Amplifier was listed with every intention of selling it, Very quickly we realised that there was a great deal unknown about what we had. After a meeting with Marshall amplification we took the decision to remove the item from the auction to enable us to gather all the available information to give everyone the chance to be sure of what we had. This seems to be the only fair way to proceed.
This item will go back on sale at some point but we are currently unable to speculate as to the time and place.
Any relevant information regarding this matter as a whole will be placed on our web site as and when it becomes available.
A copy of this is on our web site.
www.dfuk.org.uk

• Members

Good luck with your ordeal Rich. People always ask me why I don't put a certain item up on Ebay - now I can just give them a copy of this thread and the one that was deleted over at the FDP and say "THIS is why".
Cheers, Trev

• Members

Originally posted by ptah

Absofreakinglutely! I cannot believe some of the off the wall comments I am reading about this amp.

If this amp is the real thing, it is a collector's piece, the value of which is in the (past) ownership and not the way it currently sounds. While it is possible that a big-named recording artist could purchase it to use in a recording environment, more likely this will be purchased by an affluent Hendrix collector or by a museum. Establishing the provenance of the amp (i.e. that it is unquestionably what it is purports to be) back to date of original purchase will be the key. At these dollar levels, old stencils do not cut it for me. Supposedly there is a photograph of Hendrix with an amp with the same/similar damage. This would be very relevant, but not absolute, proof. I'm not sure I would even accept the recollections of a burned out ex-Hendrix roadie. This amp must have been serviced by someone at some point to correct all the damage. Those records, if found, might be conclusive if they show the name of the owner who brought it in for servicing. Of course, the best proof is a sales receipt showing purchase by Hendrix or someone in his employ.

• Members
Originally posted by Dr. Tweedbucket

Seriously, that thing is beat to death. I wonder if it even works?
:confused:

I would be ashamed to pull that heap out on stage and then expect it to last the night...........
:o

Beat to death? because it's got a few tears, and the Marshall emblem is broken? You don't know {censored} about Vintage amps do you? You might be ashamed to pull it out, but I bet it will outlast any amp you've got. {censored}, let's see what your amps look like in 40 years?

• Members

Originally posted by DRIVING FORCE

I stress the fact that this Amplifier was listed with every intention of selling it, Very quickly we realised that there was a great deal unknown about what we had. After a meeting with Marshall amplification we took the decision to remove the item from the auction to enable us to gather all the available information to give everyone the chance to be sure of what we had. This seems to be the only fair way to proceed.

This item will go back on sale at some point but we are currently unable to speculate as to the time and place.

Any relevant information regarding this matter as a whole will be placed on our web site as and when it becomes available.

I know I've given you flack for the spelling on the auction; I've just seen a lot of obvious scams that've had pretty bad spelling. I haven't seen anything to indicate the amp itself isn't the real thing, though.

I know this thread has had some pretty bad moments. Hopefully, if nothing else, you might be rewarded with more proof/authentification and command more out of the amp. If you're an honest guy (and I haven't seen anything to indicate you're not on this thread), I hope everything works out well for you, and you might even find a better venue for selling it.

• Members
Originally posted by Marshall Freak

Beat to death? because it's got a few tears, and the Marshall emblem is broken? You don't know {censored} about Vintage amps do you? You might be ashamed to pull it out, but I bet it will outlast any amp you've got. {censored}, let's see what your amps look like in 40 years?

It IS basically beat to death ..... looks like YOU don't know much about vintage amps :o some are beat to death and some have been well cared for ......... I prefer the latter....... :cool:

I guess you missed all the close up pictures on it..... :D

I doubt it will last another 6 months ........my amps will have no problem. I bet if you plug it in, and if it fires up .... you are pretty lucky. :)

.....who knows if those 40 year old transformers are going to blow ....... could blow any second..... :confused: ...... not to mention 40 year old solder joints ...... old electronics are shaky at best.

...... :o

• Members

Originally posted by DRIVING FORCE

According to your listing, you've been in possession of this amp since 1971. Now you claim that 8 days after posting it for sale on ebay, suddenly there's "a great deal unknown about what you had, and information needs to be gathered?" Yeah. Okay...

• Members

It's really lame to put an Item up for auction and then withdraw it. Ebay should not allow it. IMO it's not really an auction if the seller can change his mind at any time. I know there was a disclaimer that said the amp might be withdrawn, but its still Lame!!!!

• Members

It IS basically beat to death ..... looks like YOU don't know much about vintage amps
some are beat to death and some have been well cared for ......... I prefer the latter.......
:cool:

I guess you missed all the close up pictures on it.....
:D

I doubt it will last another 6 months ........my amps will have no problem. I bet if you plug it in, and if it fires up .... you are pretty lucky.
:)

.....who knows if those 40 year old transformers are going to blow ....... could blow any second.....
:confused:
...... not to mention 40 year old solder joints ...... old electronics are shaky at best.

:rolleyes:

• Members

It would be so simple to retro your own amp. ....let's take a look here, shall we? :confused:

1. Go to Home Depot and buy some aluminum and a jug of muruic acid. Take the aluminum to some shop where they bend metal up and have em bend it to old Marshall chassis specs..... :o

2. Drill a bunch of holes where ever you need to put tube sockets or transformers.

3. Go buy a Hoffman plexi PTP board and go buy some old crispy 60s TV set out of the penny saver. Grab all the carbon comp resistors and old parts off of there. Build the board up using the old TV components.

4. Buy some NOS mustard caps and some old Mullards off ebay and install them.

5. Buy a real 67 or 68 Marshall plexi off ebay and grab the lay down power tranny and the OT, discard the rest..... :o

6. Finish the tag board and chassis up and set aside. :) Go find an old house that they are tearing down and grab some old lumber to build a case.

7. Order some NOS Marshall tolex and cover the case. Take it outside and scuff it up on a driveway somewhere to make it look old. :)

8. Buy a stencil kit and some white krylon. Spray paint 'Hendrix' across the top of the amp and then half heartedly try to rub it off when it is dry.

9. Build a small shed, set the amp in there and then dump about a gallon of acid in there ..... let it fume up and corrode the amp for a couple of days. :o Pull the amp out and rinse it off with salt water. :)

10. Plug in and get the most INCREDIBLE HENDRIX TONE you've EVER heard. !!!! :eek: .........Then hype it up and sell it on ebay for $ 150,000..... :cool:

....see how easy that was ...... ? :)

• Members

.......oh, I wasn't whining .......no-no ......... no whining at all .......
:)

....... hey ! maybe I will do one and then post some pics ........
:cool:

please do, there is a good demand for Hendrix amps as this has proved. You could even sell them as hendrix "replicas" and still make a killing on them.....infact....... good idea :cool:

• Members
Originally posted by rushtallica

No doubt~!
:eek:

But you think someone putting up an amp that will command a lot of money and respect might bother to proofread their listing:

"This is an EXTREMELY RARE
oppertunity
to win one of very few existing Jimi Hendrix' Amp's.

It is a Marshall Super 100 Plexi Head which has been in my
possetion
since 23/9/71. I still have the Original bill of sale from then and the Amp has been 'verbally' authenticated by both Jim and Terry Marshall in 94. There is no way of getting proof of
it's
history buecause of the fact that no records were actually kept from that time. The serial numbers indicate that the amp is approxomately a 1965 build, and that all the marking's are
'as near as damn it' defenitely
a hendrix owned head. Due to
jimi's
destructive temperament this head is not original out of factory spec. it is as follows: The front and back panels do not match, probably because of a hasty rebuild after a show in the back of a bus...... This amp has an alloy chassis which suffered also from jimi's attacks, no 1 input is damaged probably from the head hitting the deck with a jack plug still in it. Marshall re-biased it for 6l6GC valves in 94 but now KT66's are available it can easily be converted back. I still have some of the original KT66's it came with.

What does it sound like?

This amp is unbelievably LOUD, it has a warmth and a percussive punch that makes my hair stand on end, When
i
(Very Occasionally) Fire it up! Very emotive of Jimi's sound."

And look at this:

"This truly is
(probably)
a once in a lifetime, unique opportunity."

Probably?
:confused:;)

Miss another "approxomately":D

• Members

Probably belonged to Jimi.
Probably!!!!!

Why not wait until is it verified then sell it for ten times as much.

Why? the obvious answer is:
it's a fake, this clown wants to sell it quick before it is debunked.

Oh, and he has not committed fraud because he admits he does not know for sure if it is genuine.

I wonder if the bidders are real.

This is probably a scam.:rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by gdwill2u

Probably!!!!!

Oh, and he has not committed fraud because he admits he does not know for sure if it is genuine.

This is probably a scam.
:rolleyes:

That is what I though from the start. I mean look at all the misspelled words and all ...... looks like a Jr. High school kid wrote up the auction. ......not in line with a highly sought after historical piece...... :o

• Members
Originally posted by gdwill2u
Probably!!!!!

This is probably a scam.:rolleyes:
[/quote

I posted this before reading the whole thread, now I suspect someone at Marshall called this guy and said they would expose him if he refused to hand the amp over for indentification.

BUSTED....

The guy got some cheap exposure for his band, maybe that was the gig all along.

I still say the amp ain't the real thing, why did he hold it for over 30 years? Why didn't he authenticate it first before he tried to sell it?

• Members

Originally posted by pro1-54

Good luck with your ordeal Rich. People always ask me why I don't put a certain item up on Ebay - now I can just give them a copy of this thread and the one that was deleted over at the FDP and say "THIS is why".

Cheers, Trev

You would let a thread like this affect what you put up for auction on ebay? That seems strange, or wimpy, or something... I'm not quite sure.

Archived