Should I get a Univalve?

skippydmongoose

• Members

George Benson uses a univalve too and I am pretty sure that George is looking for a useable clean sound in his amps.

Anyways, I have had several run in with GCDEF regarding his mission so I will not get involve with that arguement. Nice to see others are recognizing his patterns too.

I love my Univalve! I play everything from a jazz with an archtop to shred with a scalloped pointy headstock monster and I have found excellent tones for all. Typically at home I use a 4 watt 6K6 tube (I agree that 15 watts is too loud for home) which allows me to get excellent useable tones for both recording and playing at lower volumes using a THD 2x12 cabinet. For loud cleans I switch the tubes to 6550's with a couple of old 12au7s and I use a Katana boost...excellent sound and loud. If I need to be any louder I use the lineout and send a line to the board which allows me to be as loud as I could ever want. You can also slave the uni to a power amp and get amazing amazing amazing sounds.

THD as an awesome company and I couldn't be happier with my Univalve. I owned approx 20 amps in the 2 years previous to the Univalve while searching for the right amp. The Univalve stopped my search.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by jonny guitar

George Benson uses a univalve too and I am pretty sure that George is looking for a useable clean sound in his amps.

Anyways, I have had several run in with GCDEF regarding his mission so I will not get involve with that arguement. Nice to see others are recognizing his patterns too.

I love my Univalve! I play everything from a jazz with an archtop to shred with a scalloped pointy headstock monster and I have found excellent tones for all. Typically at home I use a 4 watt 6K6 tube (I agree that 15 watts is too loud for home) which allows me to get excellent useable tones for both recording and playing at lower volumes using a THD 2x12 cabinet. For loud cleans I switch the tubes to 6550's with a couple of old 12au7s and I use a Katana boost...excellent sound and loud. If I need to be any louder I use the lineout and send a line to the board which allows me to be as loud as I could ever want. You can also slave the uni to a power amp and get amazing amazing amazing sounds.

THD as an awesome company and I couldn't be happier with my Univalve. I owned approx 20 amps in the 2 years previous to the Univalve while searching for the right amp. The Univalve stopped my search.

*sigh* it still doesn't have an fx loop. Or channel switching.

• Members
Originally posted by Stratotone

i would have liked my mark iv except it had too many channels, a loop (hate those), that dumb graphic EQ, too many power configurations, voicing switches, too much control over tone and volume... definitely all reasons not to get the amp, right? i only wish i had known about all that stuff before i bought it! i really expected it to be a single channel non-MV amp with only three knobs. now, it is my duty to warn others of these serious grievances and design flaws.

:rolleyes:

• Members

You know, you guys have a pattern too. Somebody asks about the Univalve. I mention why I didn't like it. I did use it live for 4 months you know, then you all pounce on me like a pack of rabid dogs.

Instead of sitting around with your knees all a-jerking, why don't you actually answer the original post, as I did.

I didn't like it. Get over it.

• Members

I set the amp to just breaking up; use my guitar volume to totally clean it up; use a boost pedal to get it really nasty; run effects into the front. It sounds great using this.

Also, using it as slave allows you to put all your effects between it and the power amp which eliminates the need for the loop.

I don't miss either of the above at all....though most of my previous vintage amps didn't have them either.

• Members

Pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce, pounce... Repeat and rinse as necessary.

• Members
Originally posted by jonny guitar

I set the amp to just breaking up; use my guitar volume to totally clean it up; use a boost pedal to get it really nasty; run effects into the front. It sounds great using this.

Also, using it as slave allows you to put all your effects between it and the power amp which eliminates the need for the loop.

I don't miss either of the above at all....though most of my previous vintage amps didn't have them either.

I was being sarcastic. I really liked mine - and would probably still own it if I wasn't able to build my own one channel amps easily.

:)

Pete

• Members

I was being sarcastic. I really liked mine - and would probably still own it if I wasn't able to build my own one channel amps easily.

:)

Pete

Oh, so you're saying you can easily build a Univalve? I suppose next you'll be saying your amp can change tubes on the fly!!!!

• Members

I've done the "change tubes in a live setting" thing.

I recently did a gig where we broke it up into two parts... one set of blues and jazzy stuff... and two with more rock oriented stuff.

For the blues side I used a KT-88 setup with hi-v and used the roll channel with the gain cranked. I ran the line out into my HR Deluxe, and MAN did it sound FAT, LOUD and CLEAN!

Both my strat and McCarty sounded great with this setup, and I could really vary my tone by simply using my volume control.

Before the rock set, I switched the poweramp tube to a 6v6, changed to low-v, and now used the rock channel. MAN did it sound FAT, LOUD, and OVERDRIVEN!

The tubes cool off enough in 15 minutes or so, that only a rag or something is needed to pull the tubes without burning my digits.

Loved both setups. Maybe someday I'll have two Uni's...

My current live setup uses the UniValve / HR Deluxe for overdrive tones... and a Dr Z Carmen Ghia for my cleans. An A/B/Y switch allows me to select one, the other, or both.

Yes. It sounds: FAT, LOUD, CLEAN, and OVERDRIVEN! :D

I don't mind comments from people who don't like some amp, guitar, or whatever. Everyone's entitled to their opinion... If they're honest about what they did or didn't like about it... fine!

I've never seen anyone else playing live with a UniValve, so I guess it might not pass the "what big name players use a UniValve" test... But I bet a lot of "name" players use them in the studio.

I personally prefer NOT to have the UniValve as my one and only amp... I can make that work when I want... but a two amp setup is currently my favorite... and what I would suggest to any prospective UniValve buyer.

michael

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

You're probably one of those snobby types that uses a mit with individual fingers instead of the traditional thumb/finger style, aren't you????!!!??

Hey, thats me:D

....but I am a chef so I am allowed to have fancy cooking gloves (pizza oven gloves to be precise).

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

No, it was a counter argument to Potatoes when he said "i've never met a capable player who disliked the univalve.". I'm just asking conversely for a well-known capable player has chosen UV.

Jeeze you guys are defensive though. If it works for you, great. One more time, the poster asked for negatives. I provided them. So far, I'm the only one in three pages to actually answer the poster's question.

But, your negatives were not all really valid. You expected things from the amp that it was never designed, nor advertised, to do.

You complained about headroom, but did you ever try a KT88 or 6550 in the UV for increased headroom to match the other low-wattage amps you liked better for headroom? If not, then your complaints about headroom are invalid. The UV is capable of accepting power tubes that will make it anything from a 3W amp to a 25W amp (or thereabouts). Changing to lower gain preamp tubes also increases headroom. If you need more wattage than that, then you never should have purchased the UV to begin with.

You complained about it not having channel switching, but it was not designed to be a channel-switching amp, nor is it advertised as one. It's a single-channel amp with high and low gain inputs. Therefore, your complaints about volume differences between channels and the absence of channel switching are also invalid.

You complained about fizzy distortion, but did you ever try a different tube complement and/or speakers? Out of the box, with the stock Svet EL34s, mine sounded a little fuzzy and rough too. But, switching to EH-EL34s made it smoother and switching to EH-6L6s with Ei-ECC83s and JJ-12AX7s in the preamp made it cream heaven! Running into a 16 ohm cab also increases smoothness and fatness. If you never tried any of these things, then your complaints about fizzy distortion are also invalid.

So, can you not see at all how you may have unfairly characterized this amp?

• Members

Originally posted by euclid

Geez, since when did opinions become "correct" or "incorrect"?

Alot of ball-breaking going on and I don't even understand why. The original question was "Why shouldn't I buy one of these?" GCDEF merely stated his opinion, big woop!

You're right, you don't understand.

• Members

I think the Univalve is an awesome amp... I love mine.

Why shouldn't you get it? That's a tough one... I guess if you find the amp's features and tones agreeable, then there is no reason not to get one.

If you're not sure, try to demo one somewhere... if not, go for a used one on Ebay... they go for about $550-650, you could always sell it if you don't like it.

• Members

Originally posted by Pavel

I think the Univalve is an awesome amp... I love mine.

Why shouldn't you get it? That's a tough one... I guess if you find the amp's features and tones agreeable, then there is no reason not to get one.

I agree with this. I love mine and the amp is great as a recording tool and within a band as well.

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

But, your negatives were not all really valid. You expected things from the amp that it was never designed, nor advertised, to do.

I complained about nothing. He asked why he shouldn't get one. I pointed out what I thought was lacking based on my experience.

{censored}ing get over it already. Damn:mad:

Archived