Should I get a Univalve?

skippydmongoose

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No clean headroom. No way to swtich between clean and dirty sounds. Huge volume discrepency between clean and dirty inputs. Fizzy distortion. No effects loop. No reverb. Many better sounding, more versatile options for less money. Tube swapping is a gimmick with no practical application.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

No clean headroom. No way to swtich between clean and dirty sounds. Huge volume discrepency between clean and dirty inputs. Fizzy distortion. No effects loop. No reverb. Many better sounding, more versatile options for less money. Tube swapping is a gimmick with no practical application.

LOL!!! A man with a mission.

• Members

Man, when I played one, this isn't what I experienced at all. Did yours have some sort of defect?

• Members

Originally posted by skippydmongoose

Man, when I played one, this isn't what I experienced at all. Did yours have some sort of defect?

Nope. You experienced, lots of clean headroom, channel switching, an effects loop, no noticable difference in levels between the inputs? Wow.:eek:

• Members

I did own a univalve about a year ago and found it to be anything but fizzy, i think it`s a great little amp. As with most single channel amps you can get some really cool sounds using your volume and tone controls on your guitar. I`d say go for it :)

• Members

Nope. You experienced, lots of clean headroom, channel switching, an effects loop, no noticable difference in levels between the inputs? Wow.
:eek:

Headroom depends on the tube compliment, as does the distortion. It's not meant to be a channel switching amp. I didn't notice that big of a volume difference. And so what if there was a volume difference, that fact that you aren't switching channels shouldn't matter.

• Members

Headroom depends on the tube compliment, as does the distortion. It's not meant to be a channel switching amp. I didn't notice that big of a volume difference. And so what if there was a volume difference, that fact that you aren't switching channels shouldn't matter.

Trust me, you're wasting your time.

• Members

My reasons for not owning one:

1. 15 watts is too loud for some applications (playing at home) and not loud enough for others (clean headroom when playing with a drummer.) 15 watts is kind of a No Mans Land wattage-wise, IMO.

2. EQ controls don't do enough for my taste. I was always trying to dial back to the top end more than the controls would allow.

Aside from those two things, I think it's a great amp.

• Members

What would one suggest in the way of a low watt amp.

And btw, what low watt amp has tons of headroom?

To answer your first question, I wouldn't. With master volumes and hot plates and other ways to deal with volume, I think it's better to "err" on the side of too much wattage rather than not enough.

I think your second question was rhetorical...

• Members

FWIW mine was stolen and i`d still have it otherwise, i think the fact that it isnt a channel switching amp doesnt mean jack. It sounds great and has it`s own unique voice and the tube swapping is anything but a gimmick, i had a 12AT7 in the pre amp along with a 12AX7 with a SED winged C EL 34, now that sounded nice!!!!

• Members

I don't have a mission, but if somebody asks, I'll reply.

I personally think your issues with the UV are perfectly valid *for you*. But man, I have to agree with Bob here. The way you jump on any UV thread and the tone of your posts, it sure sounds like you're "on a mission." Just my perspective, no offense intended...

• Members

What would one suggest in the way of a low watt amp.

And btw, what low watt amp has tons of headroom?.

Depends on the application

and

none.

I use 20W and smaller amps with my band and crystal clean is not on the menu really. - Altohugh the overdriven tones are great. Can't have everything with one power section.

• Members

Smooth overdrive, clean to a point but edge of break up. Small gigs. I have a pa, so volume's not that big of a deal.

Low wattage amps I've used and liked. Gibson GA-15RV, Deluxe Reverb, Peavey Classic 30, Crate V3112, Traynor YCV20WR.

My perspective on the UV comes from the fact that I spend almost all my playing time on a stage. When you're performing, tube swapping is useless. You're not going to pull a tube between songs. Maybe for recording it has a purpose, but with things like the Tonelab available, tube swapping seems pretty limited in comparison. I also need to go between substantial amounts of gain and very clean sounds at equivalent volumes. The UV can't do that. Not many single channel amps can. Where the UV differs from other amps is with most amps, you can dial in a good clean sound and get dirt from pedals. The UV however, lacks the clean headroom to do that. If all you want live is a crunchy to fairly high gain sound, I suppose it's okay, but for regular club work, at least for what I do, it is seriously lacking in versatility.

• Members

Yes.

- Great sounding amp.

- Excellent as a pre-amp. (my favorite feature)

- I get lots of different sounds with different tube setups.

- Built like a tank.

- Great customer support.

- Simple in controls, but LOTS of options.

I could NOT be happier with my UniValve.

I love mine for what it DOES, I don't care what it can't do.

michael

• Members

I gigged quite happily with mine when I was playing a more mellow rock/blues gig. Used a variety of power tubes depending on stage volume needed (anywhere from a 6V6 to a KT88) and had the gain about 1/2 way up. I could turn the volume on the guitar down to clean it up, and hit it with a fulldrive II for leads.

Bitching about clean headroom on an amp that is low wattage is pretty stupid imho - that's like buying a plexi and then complaining that it doesn't have channel switching, reverb or an effects loop.

The Univalve is what it is - a fun amp for recording and low stage volume gigs. I'd probably still own one if I didn't start building amps myself.

Pete

• Members

My perspective on the UV comes from the fact that I spend almost all my playing time on a stage. When you're performing, tube swapping is useless.

I'd feel pretty dumb had I bought an amp for live performance and expected tube swapping to be useful. But, that's just me...

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

I'd feel pretty dumb had I bought an amp for live performance and expected tube swapping to be useful. But, that's just me...

I dunno, you could always play with an oven mitt on your right hand, then run to the amp between songs. With practice, you might be able to switch the power tube for solos!

Pete

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

That's not why I bought it. I buy and sell and try different equipment all the time. Several years ago the UV was getting serious hype for its sound here, so I bought one and used it for a few months. I never expected tube-swapping to be a major feature. Some people do however, and I'm pointing out that in my experience, it isn't.

Here's a thought. You post what you like and I'll post what I didn't. People can read both perspectives and decide for themselves.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Bitching about clean headroom on an amp that is low wattage is pretty stupid imho - that's like buying a plexi and then complaining that it doesn't have channel switching, reverb or an effects loop.

Pete

There are plenty of low-wattage amps with way more clean headroom than the UV. If somebody asked why not buy a plexi, I could give plenty of reasons there too. You guys don't need to be so defensive. The poster asked for the downside. I replied.

Archived