Should I get a Univalve?

skippydmongoose

• Members
Originally posted by euclid

Geez, since when did opinions become "correct" or "incorrect"?

Alot of ball-breaking going on and I don't even understand why. The original question was "Why shouldn't I buy one of these?" GCDEF merely stated his opinion, big woop!

Thank you. :)

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Actually, I've remained cool and calm, you're the one who started crying from a crotch burn.

You pretty much started in with the condescending posts from the get go. I guess opinions are only valid it they agree with you. Please post all your opinions on everything so I can be sure not to ruffle your feathers in the future.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

You pretty much started in with the condescending posts from the get go. I guess opinions are only valid it they agree with you. Please post all your opinions on everything so I can be sure not to ruffle your feathers in the future.

I've been around and around with you on this and how ridiculous some of your so called "opinions" on this topic are. I'm not investing any more time into it, because you don't get it. Dave and others pointed much of it out to you yet again, to no avail.

Nonetheless, you truly are a man on a mission.

• Members

It's amazing how personally you guys are taking my dissatisfaction with this amp. I post about a lot of amps I did and din't like. This is the only one that seems to bring out the attack dogs.

I couldn't care less that you don't like the amp. Is that O.K. with you?

• Members

I've been around and around with you on this and how ridiculous some of your so called "opinions" on this topic are. I'm not investing any more time into it, because you don't get it. Dave and others pointed much of it out to you yet again, to no avail.

Nonetheless, you truly are a man on a mission.

No I guess 35 years of playing and somewhere between 4 to 6 months of owning and using the amp and I didn't get it. :rolleyes:

Dave and whoever can point out whatever they want as often as they want which won't change the fact that I found the UV to be pretty much useless for what I do. It also won't stop me from posting my opinions on this amp any time somebody asks. So please, you know my position, I know yours, let's just post our opinions and let the poster decide. Piling on me because I don't agree with the politically correct opinion around here is assinine.

5 pages of this thread and only one real answer to the question asked. Sheesh.

• Members

No I guess 35 years of playing and somewhere between 4 to 6 months of owning and using the amp and I didn't get it.
:rolleyes:

Dave and whoever can point out whatever they want as often as they want which won't change the fact that I found the UV to be pretty much useless for what I do. It also won't stop me from posting my opinions on this amp any time somebody asks. So please, you know my position, I know yours, let's just post our opinions and let the poster decide. Piling on me because I don't agree with the politically correct opinion around here is assinine.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine that you're an axe grinder on a mission. We can both state our opinions. The so called pile-on is because you don't make sense. I can't keep others from telling you that, to think otherwise is assinine.

• Members

You're entitled to your opinion, and I'm entitled to mine that you're an axe grinder on a mission. We can both state our opinions. The so called pile-on is because you don't make sense. I can't keep others from telling you that, to think otherwise is assinine.

I make plenty of sense.

Does the amp have an effect loop? No.

Is that important to some people. Yes.

Does the amp have channel switching. No.

Is that important to some people? Yes

Can you get good clean headroom out of it? No.

Is that important to some people? Yes.

Does it have reverb? No.

Is tube swapping something a live performer will do a lot of? No.

Is it worth paying for? Perhaps not.

If all those limitations aren't important to you, go for it. They were show stoppers to me that I didn't fully consider before I bought it. Nobody told me about the volume disparity between inputs. Nobody told me plugging into one input disabled the other so you couldn't A/B between the channels. Nobody told me it wouldn't clean up with a guitar's volume nearly as well as some amps. I learned the hard way.

Somebody just looking at it may not be aware of, or may not have considered those limitations compared to other amps, which is why I assume the question was asked in the first place.

Everything I say is true. It's up to the reader to decide if it's important.

• Members
Originally posted by acousticvoodoo

So ummm.
skippydmongoose

What happened dude?

You started this thread with a problem...

Have you been "talked out of" a dip in the UniValve pool?

Or have you "bought into the hype"?

This thread is starting to become pointless...

Without CLIPS!
:D

michael

Well, still not sure. I didn't think it would bloom into the thread that it's become. I've checked out the clips via Bob's website and compared them to the THD clips. They sound great. True, there's a lot the uni won't do. The work involved in getting different tones is intense as is the money involved in tubes, but it's no more than any other amp I guess. Tons of features don't concern me, nor does an effects loop. I've had amps with loops, I never used them. Just looking for decent overdrive and tone at low volume.

• Members

I make plenty of sense.

Does the amp have an effect loop? No.

Is that important to some people. Yes.

Does the amp have channel switching. No.

Is that important to some people? Yes

Can you get good clean headroom out of it? No.

Does it have reverb? No.

Is tube swapping something a live performer will do a lot of? No.

Is it worth paying for? Perhaps not.

If all those limitations aren't important to you, go for it. They were show stoppers to me that I didn't fully consider before I bought it. Nobody told me about the volume disparity between inputs. Nobody told me plugging into one input disabled the other so you couldn't A/B between the channels. Nobody told me it wouldn't clean up with a guitar's volume nearly as well as some amps. I learned the hard way.

Somebody just looking at it may not be aware of, or may not have considered those limitations compared to other amps, which is why I assume the question was asked in the first place.

Everything I say is true. It's up to the reader to decide if it's important.

You do make some good points, but you have to assume that I've read a little about it. Simply pointing out that it has no effects loop, reverb etc. as negatives, didn't help. The fact that you couldn't get a good distortion without having referenced that you'd tried different tube combos and cabs leads me to believe that maybe you didn't put forth the effort, time, or money it takes to coax the sounds out of it.

Thanks though.

• Members

Originally posted by skippydmongoose

You do make some good points, but you have to assume that I've read a little about it. Simply pointing out that it has no effects loop, reverb etc. as negatives, didn't help. The fact that you couldn't get a good distortion without having referenced that you'd tried different tube combos and cabs leads me to believe that maybe you didn't put forth the effort, time, or money it takes to coax the sounds out of it.

Thanks though.

I tried a few tubes. I guess I don't think coaxing good sounds out of an amp should take a whole lot of work and money beyond its purchase price. There are plenty of amps that sound as good or better right out of the box.

Overall, I don't think it sounded bad. The gain was decent and modern sounding in a good way if you like that kind of sound. I'm after more an old-school kind of sound though. My beef as you probably know by now, was with its lack of flexibility on stage.

• Members

No clean headroom. No way to swtich between clean and dirty sounds. Huge volume discrepency between clean and dirty inputs. Fizzy distortion. No effects loop. No reverb. Many better sounding, more versatile options for less money. Tube swapping is a gimmick with no practical application.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind.

I think you forgot things like the isolated line out that is adjustable so you can use the amp as a preamp into a clean amp such as a Fender Twin and get more distortion that just about anything out there.

The built in hot plate.

A wonderful recording tool.

And many other plusses for sure.

• Members

Originally posted by Myles

I think you forgot things like the isolated line out that is adjustable so you can use the amp as a preamp into a clean amp such as a Fender Twin and get more distortion that just about anything out there.

The built in hot plate.

A wonderful recording tool.

And many other plusses for sure.

The question was "Why shouldn't I buy one of these things?"

• Members

Originally posted by skippydmongoose

Well, still not sure. I didn't think it would bloom into the thread that it's become. I've checked out the clips via Bob's website and compared them to the THD clips. They sound great. True, there's a lot the uni won't do. The work involved in getting different tones is intense as is the money involved in tubes, but it's no more than any other amp I guess. Tons of features don't concern me, nor does an effects loop. I've had amps with loops, I never used them. Just looking for decent overdrive and tone at low volume.

I like the normal sound of the UniValve into a cab.

But, I think my UniValve sounds best as a pre-amp... The instrument level LineOut output knob seems to have less negative impact on the sound as the volume is decreased compared to the built in HotPlate alone. It's also completely variable, while the hot plate goes in "steps"... not quite as easily adjusted.

BTW, using it this way allows me to add time based effects "between" the UniValve and my other amp. I most often use a Line6 MM4 delay, and I really like how simply and easily it works and how great it sounds. Basically my "own" effects loop.

One "hidden" advantage to running into the line in on a regular guitar amp is that you may be able to use the amp's built in reverb and presence, (like I do with my HR Deluxe), in addition to the added power and speaker options of the amp. It CAN still sound pretty good straight into the amp's input, but you have to deal with two eq's, (the Uni's and the other amp's).

Another volume thing... you can run a UniValve as BOTH a pre-amp AND as its own amp. The outputs and volume controls for the outputs, (the line out level control and the hotplate control), can be used at the same time.

This can add a lot of volume, allow for speakers on both sides of the stage, (or wherever), and creates a cool wet/dry setup for the sound.

It's been real easy to balance the volume levels on both sides, so getting a "bigger" sound and lower volumes has been easy!

You don't mention whether you have an existing amp or not... but if you do... this is one way to try a UniValve you might find is your favorite.

• Members

I complained about nothing. He asked why he shouldn't get one. I pointed out what I thought was lacking based on my experience.

{censored}ing get over it already. Damn:mad:

The fact that you didn't like it is not the problem. Nobody likes every amp! But, you painted a completely inaccurate, misleading and unfair picture of the amp. To say you didn't like the tone is one thing, but to complain about headroom (for example) and then compare it to amps like the Fender Deluxe is extremely misleading. The UV, with a simple tube swap, will yield just as much headroom as a Deluxe...or more! You never informed the original poster that using a KT88 or 6550 in the UV will indeed give him the headroom you claimed the factory setup was lacking. How is that doing him a favor?

• Members

No I guess 35 years of playing and somewhere between 4 to 6 months of owning and using the amp and I didn't get it.
:rolleyes:

Dave and whoever can point out whatever they want as often as they want which won't change the fact that I found the UV to be pretty much useless
for what I do

Well, "for what I do" are the key words. No one can argue with that, even though I made suggestions for using the Uni-Valve that would have satisfied every one of your complaints about it! You obviously didn't try any of those suggestions on your own before forming an opinion. Or, maybe you did, but just didn't like the overall tone and/or the fact that so many other people praised it. You've been totally silent regarding the workarounds I provided for your complaints, so I'm beginning to believe that you truly do have some kind of mission.

It also won't stop me from posting my opinions on this amp any time somebody asks. So please, you know my position, I know yours, let's just post our opinions and let the poster decide. Piling on me because I don't agree with the politically correct opinion around here is assinine.

In general, opinions are cool, but your opinions were misleading and incomplete! I'll mention the headroom issue again, as an example. Did you ever try a KT88 (or other higher wattage tube) in the Uni-Valve to solve your headroom issues? Please just answer that question. If the answer is "No", then your headroom opinion really doesn't hold a lot of water. Can't you understand that? I can make the same argument for most of your other complaints.

Not true! I saw lots of informative replies from former UV owners, including mine.....well, unless your definition of "real answer" is actually "misleading negative opinion".

Archived