Should I get a Univalve?

skippydmongoose

• Members

Originally posted by acousticvoodoo

I like the normal sound of the UniValve into a cab.

But, I think my UniValve sounds best as a pre-amp... The instrument level LineOut output knob seems to have less negative impact on the sound as the volume is decreased compared to the built in HotPlate alone. It's also completely variable, while the hot plate goes in "steps"... not quite as easily adjusted.

BTW, using it this way allows me to add time based effects "between" the UniValve and my other amp. I most often use a Line6 MM4 delay, and I really like how simply and easily it works and how great it sounds. Basically my "own" effects loop.

One "hidden" advantage to running into the line in on a regular guitar amp is that you may be able to use the amp's built in reverb and presence, (like I do with my HR Deluxe), in addition to the added power and speaker options of the amp. It CAN still sound pretty good straight into the amp's input, but you have to deal with two eq's, (the Uni's and the other amp's).

Another volume thing... you can run a UniValve as BOTH a pre-amp AND as its own amp. The outputs and volume controls for the outputs, (the line out level control and the hotplate control), can be used at the same time.

This can add a lot of volume, allow for speakers on both sides of the stage, (or wherever), and creates a cool wet/dry setup for the sound.

It's been real easy to balance the volume levels on both sides, so getting a "bigger" sound and lower volumes has been easy!

You don't mention whether you have an existing amp or not... but if you do... this is one way to try a UniValve you might find is your favorite.

Great info! I almost forgot about the great slaving clips I've heard of the UV line out into other amps. Extremely awesome.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

LOL!!! A man with a mission.

I would say so. With comments like "The Univavles are among the most useless, overhyped amps out there" and

" tube swapping is a gimmick"

I've seen him talk people out of buying the univalve before.

• Members

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but I hated the built-in HotPlate. I now have a real HP and I love it, I wish I still had the UV to give a try. I ended up selling it and I really don't miss it. I'm having lots of fun with my DC5, F50, RV and TSL60.

• Members

Originally posted by Hi-Gain

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned, but I hated the built-in HotPlate. I now have a real HP and I love it, I wish I still had the UV to give a try. I ended up selling it and I really don't miss it. I'm having lots of fun with my DC5, F50, RV and TSL60.

Built in hotplate on the univalves is basically a rheostat... not really a reactive load. It works ok to take the edge off, but if you crank the univalve and dump the 'hotplate' control to whisper quiet, it sounds like crap like any attenuator does.

Pete

• Members

I've had a couple of these amps. I bought ratter's UV. He had a pretty broad selection of preamp and power amp tubes with it to try out. Personally, I thought the tube swapping thing was overrated. The preamp tubes changed the gain and sensitivity. The power amp tubes changed the feel a little but you had to use tubes that were extremes from each other like a 6V6 and KT66. You're not going to hear much difference, if any, between a 6L6 and EL34. At least I couldn't. The voicing of the amp is the same no matter what tubes you use. Personally, I liked the clean input the best. I didn't have much use for the hi gain channel. To me, the amp was a cross between a Vox and Marshall. Kind of cool, but I didn't have much use for it.

I've noticed for some reason there's a lot of attitude when discussing these amps. Especially on the HC reviews. It's like people take it personal if someone doesn't like it. If someone didn't post a favorable review everybody jumped all over them. One guy even posted he could get any distortion sound he's ever heard. That's just a stupid and untrue thing to say. It's not a modelling amp. It has a certain voicing and you're not really going to change it no matter what tubes you use. Personally I think people overhyped it for what it is. If it works for you that's great. But it's not what people were making it out to be.

• Members

Originally posted by jsmineer

I've noticed for some reason there's a lot of attitude when discussing these amps. Especially on the HC reviews. It's like people take it personal if someone doesn't like it. If someone didn't post a favorable review everybody jumped all over them. One guy even posted he could get any distortion sound he's ever heard. That's just a stupid and untrue thing to say. It's not a modelling amp. It has a certain voicing and you're not really going to change it no matter what tubes you use. Personally I think people overhyped it for what it is. If it works for you that's great. But it's not what people were making it out to be.

Thanks for jumping in. I was feeling pretty lonely here. I've posted negative comments about other products I've tried and didn't like, but none of them seems to generate this kind of reaction. Some of these guys are acting like I insulted their mamas. I don't get it.

• Members

And you complain about UV issues that make no sense, at every opportunity, like a bitter old lady.

Give it a rest Bob. You continually hype an amp I found useless, but I don't take it personally. You shouldn't either.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Give it a rest Bob. You continually hype an amp I found useless, but I don't take it personally. You shouldn't either.

No thanks, I wanted the last jab.

And again, I don't take it personally, but see, you don't listen so the fact I've already let you know that doesn't register.

I have no problem with you not liking the UV. I have other amps I use that work far better for what I need. It's your mission and silliness of most of your complaints I take issue with. Of course, none of this will register, and you'll yet again claim I'm taking you not liking the UV, personally.

Babble on...

• Members

I've had a couple of these amps. I bought ratter's UV. He had a pretty broad selection of preamp and power amp tubes with it to try out. Personally, I thought the tube swapping thing was overrated. The preamp tubes changed the gain and sensitivity. The power amp tubes changed the feel a little but you had to use tubes that were extremes from each other like a 6V6 and KT66. You're not going to hear much difference, if any, between a 6L6 and EL34. At least I couldn't. The voicing of the amp is the same no matter what tubes you use. Personally, I liked the clean input the best. I didn't have much use for the hi gain channel. To me, the amp was a cross between a Vox and Marshall. Kind of cool, but I didn't have much use for it.

This is great info, and logically i can see where it makes sense that any amp has a certain voicing and without modding the amp itself, you're basically saddled with that characteristic no matter what tube combo you throw at it.

Great info. Thanks.

• Members

No thanks, I wanted the last jab.

And again, I don't take it personally, but see, you don't listen so the fact I've already let you know that doesn't register.

I have no problem with you not liking the UV. I have other amps I use that work far better for what I need. It's your mission and silliness of most of your complaints I take issue with. Of course, none of this will register, and you'll yet again claim I'm taking you not liking the UV, personally.

Babble on...

Nothing you can say will override the experience I had with the amp. I've been playing a very long time. I had several discussions with Ed and tried all his suggestions. My actual experiences with the amp registered. Nothing you can say will override that.

• Members

Originally posted by Hi-Gain

I use the stand alone HP with my UV and like it a lot better than the built-in one.

• Members

Nothing you can say will override the experience I had with the amp. I've been playing a very long time. I had several discussions with Ed and tried all his suggestions. My actual experiences with the amp registered. Nothing you can say will override that.

Then how could you not get decent clean headroom with tube swaps and the lower gain input? I could get mine to be as loud as a '68 princeton reverb I had.

Regarding the guy who said he couldn't hear the difference between an EL34 and a 6L6 - I sure could!

Pete

• Members

I believe that even a professor of advanced logic could not make you understand and "override that."

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Then how could you not get decent clean headroom with tube swaps and the lower gain input? I could get mine to be as loud as a '68 princeton reverb I had.

Regarding the guy who said he couldn't hear the difference between an EL34 and a 6L6 - I sure could!

Pete

You're wasting your time Pete.

As to the tube changes, I could hear the difference too. Obviously, the amp has its own voicing and isn't a modeler, but I don't think it's a giant leap for anybody to figure that out, before buying it.

• Members

When guys are saying "I put in a Yellow Jacket and it sounds just like a Vox" or they use a 6V6 and it sounds like a Deluxe, those statements are misleading to someone that blindly buys a UV because there's noone in their area that carries them. Actually, they're not misleading, they're downright BS. As I said, to hear a substantial difference in power tubes I had to go from one end of the spectrum to the other to hear the difference. As the example I stated, a 6V6 and KT66. There were very subtle differences between a 6L6 and EL34 but you're never going to hear them in a band situation. I had no problem with the voicing of the amp. I liked it for what it was but not enough to keep it. The clean channel sounded great. The gainy channel sounded too boxey for me. I never used it to gig with. If I did, I would have had to use a lot of pedals.

Another thing I didn't like about it was on the hi channel, I couldn't hear the pure sound of my Strat when I put the pickups on the in between sounds. Sounded like mud to me. My Boogies and Rivera do a way better job of that.

• Members

As I said, to hear a substantial difference in power tubes I had to go from one end of the spectrum to the other to hear the difference. As the example I stated, a 6V6 and KT66. There were very subtle differences between a 6L6 and EL34 but you're never going to hear them in a band situation.

That was my impression too. I expect them to come along and insult our hearing any minute now.

• Members

When guys are saying "I put in a Yellow Jacket and it sounds just like a Vox" or they use a 6V6 and it sounds like a Deluxe, those statements are misleading to someone that blindly buys a UV because there's noone in their area that carries them. Actually, they're not misleading, they're downright BS. As I said, to hear a substantial difference in power tubes I had to go from one end of the spectrum to the other to hear the difference. As the example I stated, a 6V6 and KT66. There were very subtle differences between a 6L6 and EL34 but you're never going to hear them in a band situation. I had no problem with the voicing of the amp. I liked it for what it was but not enough to keep it. The clean channel sounded great. The gainy channel sounded too boxey for me. I never used it to gig with. If I did, I would have had to use a lot of pedals.

somebody that buys an amp because they think an EL34 makes it sound like a Marshall, a 6l6 makes it sound like a Fender, an EL84 makes it sound like a Vox, etc. is ignorant. You cannot stop those people from believe information from people don't seem to be listening, and claim tube changes cause that dramatic of an effect.

I certainly hope you didn't buy the amp because you believed that.

As far as hearing a difference between tubes such as an EL34, 6L6, KT66, etc., I heard a significant difference, but it's significant in the context of the amps voicing. As inferred above, the voicing of the amp dictates it's base sound, not the tube type.

• Members

Stop crying, mmkay, whiney boy?

I got the insult part right, didn't I. You came by right on cue. Funny, I always thought of you as a little more tightly wrapped than you appear to be. Insulting me because my opinion of an amp differs from yours seems a little juvenile, don't you think?

• Members

Yeah, for me I heard anything from minor to huge changes in sound depending on the tubes used, but that was only when playing alone. I found that when jamming with a band I would use a KT66 or a 6550 or anything that I could shove in there to get more volume and oomph. Probably didn't help that I was using a 1x12 cab at the time, too. That's when I realized that I preferred bigger amps and cabs and that trying to save on size and/or volume by using smaller amps and cabs just isn't fun for me.

• Members

Well, most new amps to hit the market are overhyped, so that's not unusual. But, to call the thing "useless" is just as inaccurate.

Regarding the different tones available by swapping power tubes, I found huge differences myself. When I first plugged into mine, I was ready to send it back! The stock Svet EL34 sounded way too harsh for my tastes. But, an EH-6L6 made it pretty darn sweet and I decided to keep it. So, to my ears, it was the difference between returning and keeping!

One thing that I think confuses the issue is the built-in attenuator. It really sucks tone and can make "bad" tube combinations even worse. With the attenuator bypassed, I think it's one of the best amps I've ever heard, regardless of tube choice. But, then, the Rock channel (with high gain dialed in) is too loud for most applications. So, some sort of attenuation or slaving is required.

So, IMO, the only downside to the amp is the built-in attenuator. Compared to the stand-alone HP, it sucks and really detracts from the amp's great tone, unless you're barely attenuating.

• Members

Thanks for jumping in. I was feeling pretty lonely here. I've posted negative comments about other products I've tried and didn't like, but none of them seems to generate this kind of reaction. Some of these guys are acting like I insulted their mamas. I don't get it.

It's because you've called the amp totally useless (NO amp is totally useless!) and refuse to address any of the solutions to your original complaints about the amp! Can't you see how that would create a strong reaction? It's called trolling. It's like what Terje does with the volume thing. He makes totally ridiculous comments for the sole purpose of drawing attention to himself and stirring up the pot.

• Members

I got the insult part right, didn't I. You came by right on cue. Funny, I always thought of you as a little more tightly wrapped than you appear to be. Insulting me because my opinion of an amp differs from yours seems a little juvenile, don't you think?

You were asking for it, weren't you? Funny, I always thought you were more tightly wrapped than you appear to be. Thinking somebody is insulting you for a difference in opinion because you're not smart enough to figure out it's not a difference of opinion. Quite ignorant, don't you think?

Archived