Should I get a Univalve?

skippydmongoose

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

There are plenty of low-wattage amps with way more clean headroom than the UV. If somebody asked why not buy a plexi, I could give plenty of reasons there too. You guys don't need to be so defensive. The poster asked for the downside. I replied.

I could get clean headroom with the low input and a 5751 in the preamp slot...

I just don't understand someone complaining about clean headroom on a low wattage amp. That's like bitching about gas mileage on a humvee.

Pete

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love the Univalve.
It is a fantastic tool for studio work....it has a beautiful roundness to it when put to tape.
The tube swapping is a blast too. You can really hear the different tones between el34's, 84's (need adapter), 6v6, 6l6 and so on..
Cram an old Mullard 34 in there with a mullard pre and hold on!
Pure tube tone at its best! :)

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

I could get clean headroom with the low input and a 5751 in the preamp slot...

I just don't understand someone complaining about clean headroom on a low wattage amp. That's like bitching about gas mileage on a humvee.

Pete

Again, the original question.

Question: "Why shouldn't I buy one of these things?"

Answer: for live performance, it lacks clean headroom.

Why is that hard to follow?

• Members

Again, the original question.

Question: "Why shouldn't I buy one of these things?"

Answer: for live performance, it lacks clean headroom.

Why is that hard to follow?

Shouldn't that be a given since it's a 5-15 watt amp, depending on the tubes used? Figured that one was common sense.

Pete

• Members

I recommend playing one to decide for yourself. I owned one and regret selling it. Here are some thoughts on the issues previously discussed.

1.) Clean Headroom: Not an issue for me, even when gigging at outdoor festivals. I used the amp in two different ways:

a.) As a high gain lead & crunchy rhythm dirty amp, as part of a two-amp rig, A/B'ing to another amp for cleans. Awesome tones. The only downside is hauling the extra gear.

b.) As a clean, one-channel amp with pedals for distortion. Awesome tones again. No real downsides here for me. I picked a tube complement and/or attenuator setting that gave me just enough clean headroom for my gigs, but allowed me to overdrive the amp with pedals to blend some amp distortion with pedal distortion for leads. The big gigs were mic'ed, so headroom was never an issue, even with a 6L6. Plus, switching to a 6550 increased the wattage and headroom even more, but I never needed it.

2.) Fizzy Distortion: Certain tube/speaker/cab/impedance combos could sound fizzy with higher attenuation settings. However, with an Ei-ECC83->JJ-12AX7->EH-6L6 tube complement into a 16 ohm cab with broken in Classic Lead 80 and Vintage 30, the distortion tones were smooth as butter, but could be made a lot more aggressive with the Attitude knob. If you don't know how to tweak an amp to get your tones, then the UV may not be for you.

3.) Tube Swapping: I found this feature indispensible in getting the amp to sound exactly the way I wanted, as in #2 above. It was never meant to be something you used "on the fly"!

4.) No Channel Switching: The UV is a single channel amp with low and high gain inputs. If you don't know how to use that kind of amp, you should never buy one! I never hear people complain that the Dr. Z Maz 18 (for example) doesn't have channel switching, so why would anyone in their right mind complain about the UV not having it?! For ways to get the most out of the UV in practical rigs, see #1 above.

• Members

Here's a thought. You post what you like and I'll post what I didn't. People can read both perspectives and decide for themselves.

That's fine, but I can still laugh about your comments.

Oddly enough, you seem to be a fairly rational, intelligent person in most threads, so UV thing somewhat perplexes me. My guess is that there's some bitterness, but either way, your posts about the UV are fairly humorous to me.

• Members

Originally posted by Stratotone

Shouldn't that be a given since it's a 5-15 watt amp, depending on the tubes used? Figured that one was common sense.

Pete

Again no. I've used plenty of 15 watt amps with lots of clean headroom. Traynor's YCV20WR is one.

• Members

There are plenty of low-wattage amps with way more clean headroom than the UV.

You mentioned liking Deluxes, but with a 6550 or KT88, the UV can produce more clean headroom than a Deluxe! I know, because I owned them both (actually, an Allen Accomplice, which is a Deluxe clone) at the same time and gigged them both side-by-side onstage! I also owned a Maz 18 Junior at the time and could configure the UV to get as much headroom as that amp too. So, anyone considering any of those low-wattage amps could safely consider the UV too.

But, with all that said, the argument you make is ridiculous to begin with because people buy low-wattage amps specifically for the reduced headroom! If you want headroom, buy a Twin!

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

That's fine, but I can still laugh about your comments.

Oddly enough, you seem to be a fairly rational, intelligent person in most threads, so UV thing somewhat perplexes me. My guess is that there's some bitterness, but either way, your posts about the UV are fairly humorous to me.

You must be easily amused then. I'm not bitter. I really wanted to like the amp and I gave it 4 months. Whenever people fall over themselves praising a product, a little perspective can be a good thing. Every point I made is true. Whether they're important to you or the person asking the question is up to them to decide. Its features obviously work for some people, but not me. No need to get so worked up because I don't like it. It's not a personal indictment of you.

• Members

But Dubya loves the UV...

You must be easily amused then. I'm not bitter. I really wanted to like the amp and I gave it 4 months. Whenever people fall over themselves praising a product, a little perspective can be a good thing. Every point I made is true. Whether they're important to you or the person asking the question is up to them to decide. Its features obviously work for some people, but not me. No need to get so worked up because I don't like it. It's not a personal indictment of you.

• Members

Again no. I've used plenty of 15 watt amps with lots of clean headroom. Traynor's YCV20WR is one.

Again, stick a 6550 or KT88, or even a KT66, in the UV and you've got just as much headroom as the Traynor and the other low-wattage amps you mention. The advantage of the UV, however, is that you can change the wattage (and tone) so easily! You can't do that with the other amps you mention. Once you buy 'em, you're stuck with 'em in it their stock wattage and power tube style...unless you pay a tech to change them for you! So, you're actually making an excellent argument in favor of the UV, without even realizing it!

• Members

Originally posted by maz_master

So...you only give credence to amps that are played by your heros?

No, it was a counter argument to Potatoes when he said "i've never met a capable player who disliked the univalve.". I'm just asking conversely for a well-known capable player has chosen UV.

Jeeze you guys are defensive though. If it works for you, great. One more time, the poster asked for negatives. I provided them. So far, I'm the only one in three pages to actually answer the poster's question.

• Members

Originally posted by potaetoes

i've never met a capable player who disliked the univalve.

Ouch.

And I agree. Much like old Marshalls, it's very responsive, but it ain't gonna play itself (like a high gain amp).

I preferred the BiValve I played to the UV. For whatever reason, I thought it had more ass.

• Members

:rolleyes:

Name one big name player that uses them.

what relevance does that have?

you knock the amp based on features that you knew about before you bought it... that's dumb. your only legitimate complaint is about the distortion character - cool, that's personal taste - but other than your concerns about the distortion, there's nothing else you couldn't have figured out before you bought it. yet you bought one anyway... :confused:

did you expect it to magically sprout a second channel, a loop, some extra power and various other non-stock features? do you think the person starting this thread really isn't aware the amp has one channel, no loop, and that swapping tubes mid-song isn't practical? having an issue with the sound is one thing, but having issues with features that any literate person can read on a spec sheet, and then regarding them as flaws after the fact, after you bought one despite those same lacking features, is just kinda nuts.

the amp didn't sound like you wanted - fair enough. the rest of what you're saying just makes you look like you have some kind of grudge.

Archived