PA system....better than expensive amps?

rrguitarbumrr

• Members

today i was rehearsing at church..and my friend plugged my gt3 and my guitar into the PA system alone..without running it throught the sound table.......

i wanted to buy an amp...but could i buy this system instead?

http://www.music123.com/SoundTech-S20-i131742.music

i really like how the guitar sounded...and those are like very loud.......so i am guessing i dont really need an amp right? just hook my guitar to one of the channels

• Members

long story short-i play @ these loop festivals here in california(loopersdelight.com) and almost all the "guitarists" have a mixer and play thru the p.a.
to me as a guitar player i dislike that sound!
for me a guitar players SOUND is based on 50% guitar 50% amplifier and 50% speaker(s) plus the player of course...
P.A.s are eq'ed and engineered differently from a guitar amp-and i think a guitar player should always have his sound based on the sound of his amp and those other things...
but...HEY thats just me:)
YMMV
s:cool:

• Members

Hell yes. I usually don't do it stand alone unless I'm goofing around. But you can easily do it, hell most of the amps onstage for the big bands are just there for looks. They have those HUGE PA Cab systems hung over the stage. So you know it works. But a good PA costs as much as a kick ass amp. Sometimes a little more. I do have a couple amp set ups I use too. But I have the #1 output of my Morley Tripler to my GNX3 which goes out in stereo to my PA. Great tones. But it can't dupe the two amp setups I use. One Amp at a time and the PA. A little Delay and your playin' two guitars each with a diferent tones. And if ya use a panner or a fazer in stereo through the stereo PA the swirling sound is.... Let's just say way cool.

• Members

I have seen a few guys doing this....Playing an effects pedal board or a modler into a PA. with PA speakers...Ive seen ppl use A pod into a PA type setup and use the Direct Outs straight to the board for front of the house speakers..>Honestly I dont really think that it matters how you get your sound as long as you get it then it is yours.

• Members

if you plan on playing guitar for a long time i would reccommend getting an amp. Eventually you will grow out of liking that pedal, everyone grows out of liking different things. In the end almost everyone goes to tube amps. since ur short on money, i would suggest going peavey. I've heard good things about the classic series amps. I may be going to check one out soon to have as a practice amp. They seem to be just enough power to cut through in a band situation.

Alternatively, if u dont plan on playing guitar for a long time, or playing seriously, then by all means go with what is cheapest.

• Members

Originally posted by rrguitarbumrr

today i was rehearsing at church..and my friend plugged my gt3 and my guitar into the PA system alone..without running it throught the sound table.......

i wanted to buy an amp...but could i buy this system instead?

i really like how the guitar sounded...and those are like very loud.......so i am guessing i dont really need an amp right? just hook my guitar to one of the channels

It is all about what you like, if it works for you then by all means use it. I use a Line6 PODXT into a Mackie powered PA speaker way more often than I use my Mesa. It sounds pretty darn good and it's versitile.

• Members

Originally posted by Stink Monkey

Hell yes. I usually don't do it stand alone unless I'm goofing around. But you can easily do it, hell most of the amps onstage for the big bands are just there for looks. They have those HUGE PA Cab systems hung over the stage. So you know it works.

A good lot of the time the PAs are mic'ing up the high-end amps so they get a good even fill in the room. PAs are important, but for a long term guitarist, generally speaking, a real amp is a good investment

Archived