April new gear thread

hogberto

• Members

If anybody is interested in my repair progress on the OB-SX, I put up a

I'm pretty busy with other projects so this will probably be updated once a week.

I love this kind of stuff. Thanks for keeping us all up to date, MC! Also, sorry to hear you had to visit the medicinal practitioners, I hope you're doing OK.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I've been away from the bench and the OB-SX restoration project due to a visit to the hospital. Felix knew I wasn't feeling well so he propped himself on my shoulder the day I came home. When I said he liked to perch on my shoulder I wasn't kidding. Funny how pets can sense the well-being of their owners.

felix-on-bed-shoulder-2-resized.jpg

Mmm, cat butt near nose :p

• Members

Here is my new baby...
qsm-2.jpg
And she looks more BLACK to me than the so called "Nextel Blue"! I compared some colors up to the finish and I would say it's a dark charcoal gray color, which I really like. Definitely not "blue", to me anyway.
Sounds wonderful.
J.

• Members

Beautiful synth. Congrats! :thu:

If it's "nextel blue" the surface will be a very dark gray with an almost "rubbery" feeling semi-matte finish. "Nextel" is an industrial surface coating and not a normal paint.

Developed my 3M, NEXTEL Coating is a unique surface finish composed of microscopic neoprene granules in a special carrier medium, the finished coating has a soft warm texture, almost like a fabric. The composition of NEXTEL gives an entirely glare free finish, a matt quality that lasts throughout a long working life.

Both my Microwave XT, and now my Q, have this weird finish that was supposedly originally designed for the space shuttle. :lol:

There was a lot of talk about this on the Waldorf list for years since the debut of the Q in 1999. If your Q has a Nextel finish, its either "yellow" or "blue"...that's just what they called it. ;)

If your Q is painted, its either "classic yellow" (a semi-gloss bright yellow finish) or "classic blue" (which is satin gloss navy with silver flecks) - the painted "classic blue" has very light gray graphics instead of orange.

Both the Qs and Microwaves went through a number of Knob changes as well during their production life.

• Members

Yep, that be it. I love it. Not that I don't like the yellow, but I am quite happy with this color. I love how Waldorf had issued so many different colors/finishes and knob changes for the same synth. Brilliant idea. My friend has an XT with the cylindrical knobs and a plastic facade over the screen, mine does not have the screen cover and tapered knobs. Then they have the clear vs. solid red patch/program knob. - J.

• Members

Back to work on the OB-SX, with help from Felix. The li'l sh!t helped himself up and I had my camera handy for a self portrait.

felix-bench-shoulder-4-resized.jpg

I think it was a mistake to wear flannel. Cats like warm flannel shirts.

felix-bench-shoulder-6-resized.jpg

"MC, there's another bad opamp down there I can smell it burning"

felix-bench-shoulder-5-resized.jpg

Sorry, these were too cute not to share. Back to the new gear.

• Members

, which I really like. Definitely not "blue", to me anyway.

Sounds wonderful.

J.

I knew my eyes were not deceiving me!, mines definatley black too :lol:.

Congrats and welcome to the Q-Club!

(are your end cheeks varnished? mine are matt)

• Members
Fandabbydozzy Tom!!
:cool:

But star of your rack for me is Mr EX-8000.
:love:

Boy, do I want one of those! (If you ever feel the need to sell it ....)

Thanks :) I'm not planning on selling it anytime soon though, but I'll keep you in mind :D

• Members

Despite all the people attacking me for asking questions, I bought an XK-3c to replace my PC3 that arrived DOA.

So far, I really dig it... much better than the XK-1 I remember playing at the music store, a lot of fun. Bigger than I expected though, not sure if I'll get the lower manual in a few months or not ($$$).

Seems like I need to tweak the Leslie options to make them sound more noticeable, but other than that, good stuff.

Archived