Guess we have a situation here.

Ancient Mariner

• Members

Looking forward to the pics and clips! Glad to hear it worked the first time out for you as well, good stuff!

Edit while I am thinking of it,

How would you rate this kit over all, considering the instructions ease/complications of contruction, v.s. the finished product, and any sense of acomplishment with putting the kit together?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Well done mate! That looks phenomenal!

I'm not suprised it worked first time, looks like the work of a brain surgeon right there!

If you need help recording clips and stuff, I can lend you some gear, like a mic or sommat. Let me know!

Or if my paycheck finally comes through (Reed = totall assholes) then I'll have me own kit... bwu hahahahahaha!!!

Jon dude

• Members
Originally posted by Duesentrieb

Hey Toni, looks very cool.

One suggestion though: take out the big ass insulated star-ground resistor and wire a direct connection between the insulated ground and the chassis ground.

You tell me that NOW!?

;)

Out of interest, why? I can easily wire a bypass if I need to, as I soldered all the tags for the star together (I don't believe in the long-term conducting of interference fit connections).

Pics:
Completedinside2.jpg

Completedinside.jpg

Completedtopside.jpg

There are a few 'interesting' things that came up while building the amp. Wiring the tone controls and switches for channel 1 and gain for channel 2 is a mouse-milking operation. Without a good pair of fine, long nosed pliers it would have been impossible, as there's almost no space. The mains socket was made of a plastic that melts before the pins get hot enough to allow a solder connection. And as mentioned already, the wiring plan isn't clear about where the white wires sometimes go - I had to keep checking the schema to be sure.

I'm very pleased that it seems to be working, so there's a huge sense of achievement. It was a LOT more complex than the last amp, and some of the wiring was much harder to complete due to lack of space. I only managed 5 mins with it last night, but the tones sound like they're going to be great. I'd be quite happy with the clean channel in a little tweed amp - from memory it had that class A/B characteristic wiriness - or maybe that's just my 'honeymoon' experience from last night.

I've got a music practice this evening, and I'll take it along to see how it copes with a larger space.

• Members

OK, thanks for that.

The one other thing I wondered about was the 125E OT, and whether it would cope with the bass frequencies adequately if I cranked the amp? It's unlikely to get cranked hard most of the time, but I just wondered.......

I'd say Martin's done a good job with that design, and the kit just needs a couple of tweaks to the instructions to make it easier. Re-positioning the main board 1cm further into the chassis would help wiring, as would putting the earth rail below the board, rather than level with it. Alternatively turning the pots up the other way and re-arranging the wiring sequence would also fix it.

• Members
Originally posted by TheDarxide

Bugger me, well done! I must say though, from reading the updates, and looking at those close ups, that I'm a little put off having a go myself....
:confused:

I can solder, but i dunno if i can solder *that* good.....

I'm definately going to have a go and I'm by no means an amp or wiring god.

Will let you know how it goes, sir!

Jon

• Members
Originally posted by satannica

Jon

I'll let you do it wrong first :D

I should be getting some cash for amps in the next week or so, and I was planning on ordering a kit for the xmas holidays....

• Members

Originally posted by satannica

Jon

I'm certainly not either.

The trick for me was to take my time and work through carefully. Before I started I went through the entire bill of materials, checking off every component (there are a lot!). I collected all resistors into sets of the same value and put masking tape on them showing the value AND the R numbers they related to. Ditto for caps. It's also a good plan to tick off each component on the BoM when you use it so that there is an automatic checking process - if you think there should be 3 1meg resistors left and you've only got 2 then you know you've made a mistake.

I did make a few mistakes, but always found them quickly - 1 hookup wire in the wrong place and a resistor on V3 connecting a wrong pin. The other key advice is to always offer up the component to where it needs to go before bending/cutting wires - cut too short and life gets 'interesting'.

If you have a prob then PM me and we can talk it through. Hope it's as painless for you as mine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

FINALLY managed to make time to record (and I bought a small mixer to help).

The playing isn't quite up to Gary Moore's level ;) but should give an idea of what the amp can do. Volume was 'tolerable livingroom level' - too loud for non-guitarists, but not at stage levels. I struggled a lot to start with, trying to balance signal vs distortion and stuff but got there in the end. The quality of the MP3s has suffered a bit, but not enough to stop you hearing it properly.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=273037

It will be obvious which are the Madamp clips.

This is the longest I've played this amp so far, and it really surprised me. I love both the clean AND drive tones - there are a lot too - it's amazingly versatile.

• Members

Thankyou.

:)

The speaker + cab are a bit naff. The speaker is a Celestion Rocket 50 and the cab is an MDF bass bin (complete with port) for the boot of a car! Both a few quid on ebay. This combination seems to work well together - better than my 70s Greenback in a home made solid pine enclosure.

• Members

A Shure SM58.

It's all wrong - that's a vocal mic, placed about 15" from the speaker.

Initially I tried an Audiotechnica 33a condenser mic, but that sounded really cold, and was too responsive to peaks. The signal went to a Behringer UB1002 mini-mixer, and I rolled the bass of a little because the cab was on the floor. From there it was straight into the PC (soundblaster PCI128 card) and recorded through Audacity.

The hardest part was setting levels so that there was enough signal to the PC without clipping. The 2 mics also have very different output levels (the Audiotechnica is a low impedance mic with higher output, the shure is high impedance.

• Members

Originally posted by Ancient Mariner

It's a little embarassing, but they were all recorded at lowish volume in my living room. Cranked I think it will sound glorious.

No way! Thats even better man! It really sounds like its got that bit in the sound you get from singing tubes. Certainly doesnt sound a 'boring' over drive.

Definatly given me motivation to sort my P1 out!

Archived