Anyone else here listen to much Jazz?

Potex

• Members

I've been a big fan of the jazz greats for a while now but I just cant stop listening to the stuff at the moment!

I'm talking the likes of:

John Coltrane

Miles Davis

Sonny Rollins

Charlie Parker

Dizzy Gillespie

Lester Young

Coleman Hawkins

Thelonius Monk

The sheer mastery of these guys is so reassuring to listen to.. They can take you anywhere. Is anyone else with me on this one? Lets hear some of your favorite Jazz Legends

Cheers

-Ben

• Members

charlie parker is great...my guitar teacher in high school (studied jazz pretty intensely for 2 years) was really into parker, his phrasing and timing were just amazing (even for a wind player)

go figure tho, the jazz guitar greats are what really catch my ear tho

jim hall
pat martino
wes montgomery
george benson
pat metheny

• Members

I love jazz, saxophone is my main instrument, but I just love playing guitar more than anything.

These are my favorites.

John Coltrane (Afro Blue, A Love Supreme)
Miles Davis (Kind Of Blue album)
Cannonball Adderley (Dancing in the Dark)
Sonny Rollins (Body and Soul, St. Thomas)
Joe Henderson (Miles Ahead)
Freddie Hubbard (Red Clay, Maiden Voyage album)
Grant Green (Solid album)
Charles Mingus (Goodbye Pork Pie Hat)
McCoy Tyner (John Coltrane's pianist)
Herbie Hancock (Maiden Voyage album, Head Hunters album, Miles David Quartet)

I also love Brazilian Bossa Nova by Antonio Carlos Jobim, Astrud Gilberto, and Stan Getz was the token white guy saxophonist. Everyone should check out that music especially from the guitar standpoint. I love Brazilian girls too, but thats a different story.

• Members

I never caught the jazz bug. I'm more likely to listen to flamenco guitar than jazz. (which isnt saying much)

Only 2 jazz musicians have ever made cry girlie tears of envy.... and thats charlie Hunter and stanley jordan.... adn thats only because their approach to guitar is so unique.

Charlie because he plays bass/rhythm/leads at the same time using a guitar/bass hybrid guitar....... and jordan cause... he took taping to a whole new level that makes eddies tapping look kindergarten by comparison.

• Members
Originally posted by Potex

I've been a big fan of the jazz greats for a while now but I just cant stop listening to the stuff at the moment!

I'm talking the likes of:

John Coltrane

Miles Davis

Sonny Rollins

Charlie Parker

Dizzy Gillespie

Lester Young

Coleman Hawkins

Thelonius Monk

The sheer mastery of these guys is so reassuring to listen to.. They can take you anywhere. Is anyone else with me on this one? Lets hear some of your favorite Jazz Legends

Cheers

-Ben

I have a lot of music and id say it might be 30% in my collection..im a bigger fan of the music that was made in the 1910-1930..if its old..play it..:)

• Members

My listening preferences in music kinda goes in a rotation. Right now I'm kinda into a reggae/ska cycle, but a jazz in always in there. Other than the greats listed here are a few:

Dave Brubek
Django Reinhardt
Lee Morgan
Hank Mobley
Grant Green
Lou Donldson
Jimmy Smith
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers
The Jazz Crusaders

• Members

im a really big jazz fan but an even bigger free jazz fan,
its not usual to find another free jazz fan but what the hell,
lets see if anybody else enjoys..

Ornette Coleman
Taylor Ho Binum
ALexander Von Schi

• Members

I just started listening to some of the more 'classic' jazz artists.

Miles Davis (Kind Of Blue)
Wes Montgomery (Live at the Half Note)
Return To Forever (Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy)

It takes some training of my ear to really understand what they are doing, especially the older Miles stuff...

• Members

I listened to a lot of jazz in college. Not so much anymore. I love Miles Davis and Chet Baker. I find trumpet is my favorite in Jazz with tenor sax a close second. I have to say that most jazz guitar bores me.

I recently saw John Scofield live and thought his more "modern" playing was weak, while his more traditional jazz playing was very inspiring. Pat Metheney was weak, too many notes and not very emotional, (IMHO).

Jack

• Members

I went through a jazz phase some years ago, almost listened exclusively to it. Now, it's in normal doses.
Well, jazz, I always go for the weird stuff in any genre, my faves :

Coltrane (Love Supreme, Africa) ok not that weird:p
Miles (quintet and Bitches Brew era)
Herbie Hancock (Mwandischi, Headhunters)
various McLaughlin

Jan

• Members

I listen to jazz but not that much. Some favorites are Charlie Christian (of course), Sonny Rollins and Max Roach. And Lester Young, naturally. I like Miles too, and Bird, and Trane and...

The coolest jazz guitarist of all time is Freddy Green though. Just sat there delivering solid rhythm for half a century.

Archived