So it looks like Gibson raised prices by 10% yet again...

AtillaTheHungry

• Members

Has it even been a year since they last pulled that crap? I was looking at a new AMS catalog I got, and almost all the Gibson guitars are 10% or so higher than they were in the old one and the old MF catalog I have, and they're now higher on the MF website, too.

So now people will be coughing up an additional $200 for their already exhorbitantly-overpriced guitars! Sweet! Even the freaking finish options have gone up. They cost more, so they must be better, right?

I'm sure that the other absolute highest quality guitar equipment manufacturers in existance, Fender and Marshall, will quickly follow suit...

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

HAHA...What I like is how badly most Gibsons are set up from the factory. I've tried to like them for a number of years. I even bought one. But I bought used at a good price.

I got myself a Les Paul Special with the P100's. Popped them out for some P90's and felt like the guitar was playable. Now I need to raise the action a hair to stop the fret buzz (the setup is ridiculously low). I think I paid something like 400$ at a guitar show. I see them go for 600$ pretty regularly used. I feel like I did okay.

I guess people who are blowing 2 grand on a guitar won't be burdened by another 200$. I have a friend like that. Bought an ES175 new. Decided it wasn't really for him. Traded it in and bought an ES335 (with additional money put down on top of it!). I don't get it. I have to save my pennies for something 1/4 of that cost. And to be honest, his 335 doesn't blow me away in quality. My LP is built much better in my opinion and the factory setup on his 335 is a joke. Twisted neck, ridiculously low action to compensate for the fact that the neck isn't straight, and the pickups...well...ugh.

I digress.

-Zach Omega

• Members

Oh man...Don't even get me started on Ibanez. Notice my location. Now take a look in a guitar magazine at the Ibanez ad and notice the small print at the bottom.

A bunch of guys I went to high school with work there. If it works for you, great, but you don't even want to know about the {censored} ups working there. And you certainly don't want to see the hack job one guy working there did on my friend's resonator guitar. The thing was fine until he screwed with it.

As usual, I digress.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

I like how my Ibanez SZ is probably better than a lot of those guitars, and it cost me less than $400 new, which is basically just double the amount they raised some of their prices.

• Members

haha, yeah, I agree. Hype is a lot of Gibson's cost. Especially if you've seen their "Faded" series guitars. Faded is one thing. Unfinished is another. The guitars haven't even been sanded. And they still fetch quite a pretty penny. It is a joke.

And they are laughing their way to the bank as people buy these guitars thinking they are getting something better or more valuable because it says Gibson on the headstock...That is if you don't polish your guitar because the logo is silk screened on. Admittedly, my Gibson has a silk screened logo too, but at least it actually has a finish on it.

-Zach Omega

• Members

Good stuff. Kramer is selling some junky low end stuff now. Kind of sad that a company like that would resort to that, but I guess that is where the money is.

-Zach Omega

Originally posted by cloudnine

Yeah. Riffy's selling an original Kramer Pacer from '84 or so.

Pretty neat.

• Members

Originally posted by Pizza Combo

When I need high end guitars I'll stick to USA Jacksons.

Funny story..... for some reason or another my old band was playing at some odd church show. I ended up accidentally severing the headstock of my les paul and one of the old guys from the church came up to me and said "this is God's way of telling you to get a USA Jackson."

Sorry for the pointless story. :)

• Members

Good - my LP Studio just went up in value!! Thanks Gibson! The studio I own, (Classic White w/chrome), just went up to $1369!!!

P.S. - I don't believe I'll buy another. My Studio is a keeper, after buying 2 LP Classics that were lemons. The first went back to the factory, and the second, (that they shipped as a REPLACEMENT), went on Ebay. BOTH the biggest pieces of {censored} I ever owned, and both $1700 Gibsons.

I had a V as well as the Studio, which was also a great guitar. The Sudios, V's, and Explorers are Gibson's best bang-for-buck guitars, IMO. Even though the Studio prices are getting out of hand...:eek:

I look for Marshall to follow suit, come January. They're insane too.

• Members

I know material prices have been increasing, but Gibson is just looking greedy right now. They are trying to milk all they can from their name.

Frankly I think most gear is overpriced in general.

No one has mentioned Hamer USA, I hear they make some really nice guitars.

Archived