ADA MP-1 any owners?

ncook

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've owned one (2 actually) since I bought it new in 1989.

What are you looking to do with it? They tend to be tubby, and a little thin. But they can sound good, depending on the rest of the rig. If you want the late 80s tesla or Skid Row tone, it'll do it.

It's also fairly versatile.

I wouldn't expect super-tight chugga metal tones out of a stock one.

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

I'm on a never ending quest to match Vito Brattas tone, he used one, so naturally I want to pick one up. Is stock going to do it, or should I invest a few hundred more on a mod?

Try a stock one for a hundred bucks or so. Honestly, all the clips I've heard of the Modded ones, 3TM, even the Voodoo, still had that 'hollowed out' ADA tone.

I've always thought it sounded like a cheap distortion box actually.....I'm not sure why I played one for ten years. :D

• Members

From what I hear, you dont really get the total ADA MP-1 experience until you add a BBE 422A. Thats what I hear anyway, I'm getting one of those too.

HaHa!

Yeah, I had one of those in my rack too. (cant remember the model number, but it was a BBE).

Let me say, that I'll play modellers, digital wireless units, cheap overdrive pedals etc...but I will NEVER put such a {censored}ed up POS in my rig like a BBE again. :mad:

Some people dig it, but a BBE actually puts a delay on some bands of frequencies in the signal. It messes with the phase characteristics too much for my taste.

• Members
Originally posted by squealie

HaHa!

Yeah, I had one of those in my rack too. (cant remember the model number, but it was a BBE).

Let me say, that I'll play modellers, digital wireless units, cheap overdrive pedals etc...but I will NEVER put such a {censored}ed up POS in my rig like a BBE again.
:mad:

Some people dig it, but a BBE actually puts a delay on some bands of frequencies in the signal. It messes with the phase characteristics too much for my taste.

You should just sell me your rig

• Members

You should just sell me your rig

I unloaded the BBE long ago.

To answer your original question, the ADA would NOT be my first choice for a Vito kind of tone. But it could probably get fairly close to the tone on his cover of Radar Love.....

• Members

Originally posted by squealie

HaHa!

Let me say, that I'll play modellers, digital wireless units, cheap overdrive pedals etc...but I will NEVER put such a {censored}ed up POS in my rig like a BBE again.
:mad:

Yeah, I had a bad experience with recent purchase of a BBE 422 running through the effects loop of my 8100. I'm gonna try out another one this friday though, so hopefully it will sound better than before. The one I had might have been broken, it's hard to tell. When I engaged it, the volume dropped, it sounded muddy, and the definition hardly made a difference at all. I don't know if this is normal or not with these units. I think he would be better off buying a new one....

• Members

I have two modded ones right now, a 3.1 and a 3TM. They are all cool preamps and I think the modded ones are even better, but yeah they still have a bit of that stock boxy MP1 characteristic to them...some might not like that. But they sound mighty heavy :)

studio.jpg

MJ

• Members

I'm planning on unloading mine pretty soon (probably on Ebay). However, not because I don't like it; it really sounds awesome. Awesome clean tones as well, but definitely can't do the modern "chugga" sound.

If you're after Vito's sound, though, you'll get it out of one. If I had more room, I'd definitely keep the rack, if only for that late 80s early 90s sound. These things are super cheap too. I think I got mine for like $150 about three years ago. You just have to be prepared to do (or pay someone else to do) some maintenance on them, given their age.

I have a BBE as well, and it does open the MP-1's tone substantially, as long as you don't get carried away and over-process the tone.

If you've been to adadepot.com, you know what it can do.

• Members

I had one, got it dirt cheap. It was okay, better than a distortion pedal but not much for me. I used it with a tube power amp but thought it was thin and lifeless. Mine was unmodded and maybe some new tubes would have helped but I didn't want to bother. The chorus was weak for me and I didn't really need all those presets. But, for the price they sell for, you can't go wrong.

• Members

I absolutely love mine. Vito was definitely all about the MP-1. I read an interview where he and Geroge Lynch were talking about it, and Vito sounded like a friggin salesman, you could tell he genuinely liked that piece o' gear and wasn't just pushing it for an endorsement deal. :thu: I'm thinking a stock one would do it if you're looking for White Lion sounds.

As for outboard gear, I'd strongly recommend either a dedicated post EQ or good multifx unit with strong eq capabilities before getting a Maximizer (and preferrably on with a good noise gate, since they can be noisy units). The EQ with the MP-1 makes it so versatile/tweakable, really an awesome preamp for the $$$.

• Members
Originally posted by Elric

I absolutely love mine. Vito was definitely all about the MP-1. I read an interview where he and Geroge Lynch were talking about it, and Vito sounded like a friggin salesman, you could tell he genuinely liked that piece o' gear and wasn't just pushing it for an endorsement deal.
:thu:
I'm thinking a stock one would do it if you're looking for White Lion sounds.

As for outboard gear, I'd strongly recommend either a dedicated post EQ or good multifx unit with strong eq capabilities before getting a Maximizer (and preferrably on with a good noise gate, since they can be noisy units). The EQ with the MP-1 makes it so versatile/tweakable, really an awesome preamp for the $$$.

Cool, thx! I might PM you down the road to pick your brain about this.

• Members

I have one, a BBE :eek: and an Alesis Quadraverb:freak: . The best solution is to not use the BBE. It has the effect of making it sound fuller, but it makes it sound too processed and almost digitechish (which is never a good thing). The BBE totally eliminates the Marshallness qualities and ventures into 80's oblivion.

The best use of the ADA, or at least the use of it that made it to plastic was to use it as a preamp to a Head. Skid Row used them into Marshalls as did many people in the studio. Live was a different story. I run mine through a Lee Jackson head, the fx return jack. It has a great hot rodded 80's Marshall tone, though it is thin (but everyone had a thin tone then). I've run it through a SLX JCM900, but honestly the Jackson head was better.

The ADA 100 WATT bipolar power amps are nice, they have EL34's in them, but DON'T get the microamp, it's really SS with two preamp tubes in it. The Marshall 9000 series and up power amps are great, but are really, really expensive. You are much better off getting a cheap head like a Lee Jackson, Laney AOR, or a Peavey. Basically, anything with EL34's in it will give you the tone you desire.

• Members

I used one in the 80's. At first used it through a power amp. Later on I used it in front of a 70's marshall head, then into (2) 70's marshall heads. Around '90 I ditched the MP-1 and went to a tube screamer into my fav of the 2 marshalls.

The MP-1 into the 2 marshalls was an insane 80's rock sound. I didn't know anyone else doing that at the time, but always got lots of compliments from the hotshot guitarists at the time.

Even though I strived to be an 80's shredder, it just wasn't ever my bag. When I bought my '73 LES PAUL CUSTOM I "found myself" and went back to my more comfertable roots playing. The les paul, tube screamer, marshall, orange 4x12 setup was the ticket.

We then got a real lead guitarist and I just did what I did best. Funny thing is even after that all through the 90's people always thought I was the lead guitarist for whatever reason...when really it was the other guy who had the shred factor. I guess squeezing tone and soul out of fewer notes does work sometimes. I always knew he was the guy with the chops though.

These days I can play much faster and more accurate than back then, but I don't do bands anymore. Still will never be a a real shredder though.

The MP-1 is a great little unit and is a lot of fun. It's got some great tones in it. Not for everyone, but a classic piece of gear. I highly reccomend it to anyone looking for something different than what's on the market today.

• Members

I have one I recently got and I have been impressed with it. For what I do it does not beat the rockmaster but it definately sounds nice. For that 80's sound this is the box. I may sell mine as it just gathers dust.

• Members

Originally posted by type2guy

The MP-1 into the 2 marshalls was an insane 80's rock sound. I didn't know anyone else doing that at the time, but always got lots of compliments from the hotshot guitarists at the time.

Absolutely!

For a brief time, I ran my MP-1 into a '73 1987X halfstack. It was rippin'. But then I figured out you can get damn near the same tone with a cheap-o Boss DS-1 and the Marshall.

:D

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead7

I have one, a BBE
:eek:
and an Alesis Quadraverb:freak: . The best solution is to not use the BBE. It has the effect of making it sound fuller, but it makes it sound too processed and almost digitechish (which is never a good thing). The BBE totally eliminates the Marshallness qualities and ventures into 80's oblivion.

The best use of the ADA, or at least the use of it that made it to plastic was to use it as a preamp to a Head. Skid Row used them into Marshalls as did many people in the studio. Live was a different story. I run mine through a Lee Jackson head, the fx return jack. It has a great hot rodded 80's Marshall tone, though it is thin (but everyone had a thin tone then). I've run it through a SLX JCM900, but honestly the Jackson head was better.

The ADA 100 WATT bipolar power amps are nice, they have EL34's in them, but DON'T get the microamp, it's really SS with two preamp tubes in it. The Marshall 9000 series and up power amps are great, but are really, really expensive. You are much better off getting a cheap head like a Lee Jackson, Laney AOR, or a Peavey. Basically, anything with EL34's in it will give you the tone you desire.

I was planning on running it through a Carvin power amp. They're a bit expensive too, but I don't know if they are as far as power amps go.

• Members
Originally posted by heath

I have one I recently got and I have been impressed with it. For what I do it does not beat the rockmaster but it definately sounds nice. For that 80's sound this is the box. I may sell mine as it just gathers dust.

Sell it to me!!!

Archived