ADA MP-1 any owners?

ncook

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Originally posted by one4rich

I use an MP-1, QuadraVerb, and a modded Peavey Classic 120 power amp. I get compliments on my tone every time we gig.

I like your rack mount tuner, you can probably see that thing from across the stage.

• Members

Originally posted by shredhead7

I have one, a BBE
:eek:
and an Alesis Quadraverb:freak: . The best solution is to not use the BBE. It has the effect of making it sound fuller, but it makes it sound too processed and almost digitechish (which is never a good thing). The BBE totally eliminates the Marshallness qualities and ventures into 80's oblivion.

The best use of the ADA, or at least the use of it that made it to plastic was to use it as a preamp to a Head. Skid Row used them into Marshalls as did many people in the studio. Live was a different story. I run mine through a Lee Jackson head, the fx return jack. It has a great hot rodded 80's Marshall tone, though it is thin (but everyone had a thin tone then). I've run it through a SLX JCM900, but honestly the Jackson head was better.

The ADA 100 WATT bipolar power amps are nice, they have EL34's in them, but DON'T get the microamp, it's really SS with two preamp tubes in it. The Marshall 9000 series and up power amps are great, but are really, really expensive. You are much better off getting a cheap head like a Lee Jackson, Laney AOR, or a Peavey. Basically, anything with EL34's in it will give you the tone you desire.

The only bipolar power amp that ADA produced was 200 watts (the B200S). The B200S does not have tubes, it is a solid state power amplifier. The ADA T-100S is the power amp with EL-34's. The ADA Micro Amp is also a solid state power amp (no tubes). The ADA Microtube 100 and Microtube 200 are the power amps with the 12AX7's.

• Members

I have a ada t100s and it is a great power amp. Not alot of features but what it does have is great tone. Its a great warm power amp. It really brings the adamp1 to life and fixes that hollow sound so much. I wish it were bridgeable but it does have a kill switch built in to the volume so that if you put it at zero it turns off the corresponding side of the power amp. I use it mono at 50 watts and it will rattle your brains its so loud.

• Members

Sounds like we all had the same rig in the 80s early 90s. :D

Mine was

ART X-11 midi controller

Nady Rack Div Wireless

Korg DT-1 Rack Tuner

MP-1

Rocktron Guitar Silencer

BBE

Rocktron Intellifex

Marshall 9005 (2x50w EL34s)

2 4x12s

All in one of those 16 space Mesa shock racks the size of a washing machine.

I still have all that crap, minus the BBE. And I just added a Hughes and Kettner Access pre-amp. And a Behringer FCB1010

• Members

Originally posted by Jet Bycraft

The only bipolar power amp that ADA produced was 200 watts (the B200S). The B200S does not have tubes, it is a solid state power amplifier. The ADA T-100S is the power amp with EL-34's. The ADA Micro Amp is also a solid state power amp (no tubes). The ADA Microtube 100 and Microtube 200 are the power amps with the 12AX7's.

I use the Microtube 200. It works really well with the MP-1.

• Members

Don't laugh, but for Vitto's tone check out my Mark IV clip in my sig. The one called "Lead Wankage." While I'm not dead on with the playing, I think I've gotten damn close to his tone. Cheers!

• Members
Originally posted by SFW

Don't laugh, but for Vitto's tone check out my Mark IV clip in my sig. The one called "Lead Wankage." While I'm not dead on with the playing, I think I've gotten damn close to his tone. Cheers!

Yeah thats pretty close to the sound. Heres as close as I've been able to get with a BOSS GT-6. waitsolo

• Members

just my 2 cents worth here...i am a major gear whore..over the years i have owned several of these preamps and all i can say is...you either love them or hate them.to me...they are made to be played with effects,eq and such...and mixes very well with most any effects unit.stock these will take the place of alot of marshalls and roland jazz choruses.on a recorded track,most marshall players cant even tell the differance!!!i just installed the MOD4 MK2 in my ada and all i can say is...its FAT !!!! keeps the mp1 sound just makes alot more gain without krazy compression and fuzzyness.sounds very full and organic!! i pair mine with a boogie 2x12 w/ vin 30's and a ada microtube 200 and a pod xtl for effects and midi switching.i do dare to say i can get almost any sound any marshall can plus get a hell of alot more gain without killing everyones ears.sounds almost like a soldano/modded jcm 800....this unit was way before its time !!!!

• Members
Originally posted by ACSD125

just my 2 cents worth here...i am a major gear whore..over the years i have owned several of these preamps and all i can say is...you either love them or hate them.to me...they are made to be played with effects,eq and such...and mixes very well with most any effects unit.stock these will take the place of alot of marshalls and roland jazz choruses.on a recorded track,most marshall players cant even tell the differance!!!i just installed the MOD4 MK2 in my ada and all i can say is...its FAT !!!! keeps the mp1 sound just makes alot more gain without krazy compression and fuzzyness.sounds very full and organic!! i pair mine with a boogie 2x12 w/ vin 30's and a ada microtube 200 and a pod xtl for effects and midi switching.i do dare to say i can get almost any sound any marshall can plus get a hell of alot more gain without killing everyones ears.sounds almost like a soldano/modded jcm 800....this unit was way before its time !!!!

Did you install the mod or have someone do it? How much did the mod cost?

• Members

i bought a pre modded tube board fron hairston and installed it myself.very easy to install the board was only $60 and instructions and mod baord descriptions can be found here as well.this is a member of the adadepot.com site and a very good tech as well.he and a few other members has designed a bunch of mods for the mp1 including a 3 tube board and a 3.666 mesa mod as well.anyways here is the site..http://soldercave.twisteddigit.com/

• Members

i bought a pre modded tube board fron hairston and installed it myself.very easy to install the board was only $60 and instructions and mod baord descriptions can be found here as well.this is a member of the adadepot.com site and a very good tech as well.he and a few other members has designed a bunch of mods for the mp1 including a 3 tube board and a 3.666 mesa mod as well.anyways here is the site..

Cool, thanks!

• Members

I still have my MP-1/Mesa power amp rack but no longer use it.

But the closest I ever got to Vito's tone was using an old Rocktron one space distortion/exciter unit into my Laney AOR Pro-Tube 50-watt half stack.

Killer sound. I wish i still had that thing.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

I run mine with a Carvin T100 and a Marshall 1*12.

It sounds good but I have not decided (sp?) yet if I like it or not.

It has nice tones but it's so boxy,plastic and un-organic sometimes.

does anyone know what I can do about it?

• Members

I still have an MP-1 that I bought when they first came out. I used it with a Marshall 9005 50+50 EL34 power amp, and 2 '74 Marshall 4x12 cabs. I still have all of that stuff, but haven't used the rig in ages.

Now I'm using either a '74 Marshall Superlead (with a Hotplate), or a Bogner Shiva - depending on the gig.

The ADA is a cool unit. It still sounds good to me.

• Members

i bought a pre modded tube board fron hairston and installed it myself.very easy to install the board was only $60 and instructions and mod baord descriptions can be found here as well.this is a member of the adadepot.com site and a very good tech as well.he and a few other members has designed a bunch of mods for the mp1 including a 3 tube board and a 3.666 mesa mod as well.anyways here is the site..

I bought one of these tube boards (with the Mod 4 II) and it was about ten minutes of soldering to install. It was professionally put together and very easy. Sounded killer too.

• Members

Originally posted by ncook

From what I hear, you dont really get the total ADA MP-1 experience until you add a BBE 422A. Thats what I hear anyway, I'm getting one of those too.

You've confused BBE with PostEQ. An EQ or MultiFX with an EQ in-line or in the loop and the sky's the limit. BBEs suck.

I think the MP-1 rules. I'd go stock at first, I don't think Vito used Langner modded MP-1's or anything exotic.

The MP-1 can sound thin/thrashy when not dialed in correctly or coupled with other gear (cabs) that accentuates that, hence some people's complaints to that effect. Like I said, an EQ after it can take things to a whole 'nother level from a versatility standpoint and if you take the trouble to set one up right you WILL be rewarded. :thu:

Archived