Most irritating rock voices - chime in please

andyhumb

• Members
Originally posted by andyhumb

How about the guy from Journey? He seems to torture me very well with each song - I still, suffer thru it just to listen to Neil Schon's playing

Yes,Perry makes me ill. Partially because the nightmare of seeing the video to SEPARATE WAYS is firmly etched and scarred in my brain.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
Originally posted by henk

I forgot Bob Dylan. Hendrix knew he couldn't sing and that if he would it'd be an embarrassment. But then he heard Bob... well, the rest is history.

:)

actually, one of Hendrix's biggest vocal influences was Dylan. to me, Hendrix's vocal style always sounded like a cross between Dylan and John Lee Hooker.

• Members

Billy Corgan has a grating voice and singing style, and he has a matching face that just begs to be punched.

The guy from Our Lady Peace is annoying as well, and is off key sometimes live which just compounds the problem. He sucks!

And Geddy Lee is torture to my ears.

Mark Slaughter should have his falsetto surgically removed from his throat, thank God they're not around anymore.

• Members
Originally posted by Paragraph51

that guy who sang for Europe.....

really man?????
i'm dont mean to agree or disagree with you but i could never see this name coming in a thread like this...
i always thought it was a "fact" that Joey Tempest had one of the best voices and technique in singing in the field..
incredible range,alwasy on pitch,very clear sounding voice,sonicall good(not too hi,low,harsh etc) and technical stuff like breathing and pronouncing everything perfectly...
oh well...taste is a weird thing...
cheers3,
Alex

• Members
Originally posted by andyhumb

Geddy Lee - yes - I would be surprised if we found one guy on this forum that would disagree on that one - {censored} - that voice is so {censored}ing irritating:mad:

You found him.

I will agree that there may be a few songs that grate...but that's what the situation called for. Like On A Farwell To Kings....his ship the Rocinante sails into the black hole and Geddy goes over the meter in shrillness. But..that is what they wanted.

Tom Sawyer is irratating?
Big Money?
Red Sector A?
CAmera Eye?

I just don't see those songs as being irratating. :confused::mad:

And I can't imagine having a different voice in Rush.

So yes...you found one.

• Members
Originally posted by Alex Flouros

really man?????

i'm dont mean to agree or disagree with you but i could never see this name coming in a thread like this...

i always thought it was a "fact" that Joey Tempest had one of the best voices and technique in singing in the field..

incredible range,alwasy on pitch,very clear sounding voice,sonicall good(not too hi,low,harsh etc) and technical stuff like breathing and pronouncing everything perfectly...

oh well...taste is a weird thing...

cheers3,

Alex

Alex...

SOme people don't consider thos ekinds of musical techniques.

It's the genre or the look that this person hated, and I bet this person you quoted has not heard more than 2...maybe 3 songs by Europe. Doesn't even know the singers name.

• Members
Originally posted by TWPietz37

+1 million on Geddy Lee. His voice is the reason I never could get into rush.

Tyler

Me too! I hear he is an amazing musician and Bassist. I wouldn't know, because I would rather have an enema than listen to his voice, so anytime I hear a Rush song begin I try to switch channels before he starts singing.

When I have listened a bit, the lyrics seem very lame as well. Overly pretentious drivel.

• Members

Add to that list any and all female pop-singers who breathe more than they sing. You know the type. They sound like they're trying to operate a phone sex line, not be a singer.

I want to hear voice, not you breathing in my ear.

Some of 'em may breathe into my ear anytime.

• Members

Neil Young - just plain irritating
Geddy Lee - just plain irritating
Robert Plant on occasion - when he goes into "whine mode"
Bob Seger on occasion - sometimes grating and coarse
The guy in Styx with the "teen idol voice"
Johnny Lang should just play guitar. His singing sucks.
Steven Tyler of Aerosmith - fingernails on chalkboard voice
Mick Jagger - no real singing talent to speak of

• Members
Originally posted by chiro972

Me too! I hear he is an amazing musician and Bassist. I wouldn't know, because I would rather have an enema than listen to his voice, so anytime I hear a Rush song begin I try to switch channels before he starts singing.

When I have listened a bit, the lyrics seem very lame as well. Overly pretentious drivel.

Pretentious as in trying to make you think? Either in agreeing with him or actually produing an original thought on your own?

How dare they, bastards.

• Members
Originally posted by shredhead666

Add to that list any and all female pop-singers who breathe more than they sing. You know the type. They sound like they're trying to operate a phone sex line, not be a singer.

I want to hear voice, not you breathing in my ear.

Norah Jones to the "T". What about those chick singers (it started with Mariah Carey I think) that have to trill 16 notes in between the 2 or 3 that are needed in the melody line? I hate that crap. Just sing the song - I don't need the vocal exercises or the show of range.

• Members
Originally posted by Mesaholic

Norah Jones to the "T". What about those chick singers (it started with Mariah Carey I think) that have to trill 16 notes in between the 2 or 3 that are needed in the melody line? I hate that crap. Just sing the song - I don't need the vocal exercises or the show of range.

Edited by shredhead666

• Members

Any and all cookie monster, death metal/black metal/{censored} metal, grindcore, hardcore call it whatever you want to call it vocalists. Just listen to Sirius Radio Hard Attack, that's about 90% of their playlist. Good guitar playing is coming back, it would be nice to hear real singing in metal again. I know it's out there but the growling, Satan with a hairball, squeeze a Volkswagen out of my ass vocals dominates everything now. I don't see how people can tell the majority of these bands apart. How many albums of pure screaming can you make? Everytime I hear that stuff I can't help but laugh. Oh, you're sooo scary, don't put a curse on me dudes.