Am I getting ripped off?

chiro972

• Members

Took my new/used Peavey classic 30 to the amp tech and asked for an estimate before they did any work. I got a call (which I saved on my cell phone) telling me that all the tubes needed to be replace and the tubes plus the labor was going to be $135. I thought that a little high, but told them to go ahead as they had already diagnosed the problem.

They call me two days later and a different guy tells me the bill is $210!! I told him I was quoted $135 and he tells me that wasn't written anywhere on the invoice.

Is this reasonable??

• Members

Originally posted by chiro972

Took my new/used Peavey classic 30 to the amp tech and asked for an estimate before they did any work. I got a call (which I saved on my cell phone) telling me that all the tubes needed to be replace and the tubes plus the labor was going to be $135. I thought that a little high, but told them to go ahead as they had already diagnosed the problem.

They call me two days later and a different guy tells me the bill is $210!! I told him I was quoted $135 and he tells me that wasn't written anywhere on the invoice.

Is this reasonable??

Tell him to {censored} himself. You didn't approve a $210 fix. Cheers Lucius

• Members

Thanks for the feedback. I figured $135 was reasonable. I'm going to play the message to whoever is there tomorrow afternoon and try to make them stick to that price.
The problem is, they have my amp!! I suppose they can refuse to give it back unless I pay up. Apparently they are not hurting for business as it took almost two weeks for them to get to it after I took it in.

• Members

I had a run in with a tech who was fixing my mesa 20/20 power amp awhile ago. It was a repair not related to the tubes. Since it was in for service, I asked for him to put in a new set of tubes.

When I went to pick it up the price was double the quote for the repair, and he refused to return my old tubes. This guy is the authorized repair depot for every major brand in town, and works out of his basement. Didn't really feel comfortable arguing with him since he's 6'6" and 250.

Paid my money, straightened up, pulled up my pants and left.

• Members

If you went to Musicians friend and paid full retail for the tubes (just for example, I wouldn't recommend buying there) the tubes would have cost you $75. I don't think there is a bias adjustment on those amps.... so they are basically charging you the rest for labor. Keep in mind changing a tube is about as difficult as changing a light bulb.

• Members

yeah, do not pay 210, they have 2 or 4 el84s. which sould cost maaaaybe 70 bucks if theres 4, at most, and 50 at most for 2... thats AT MOST

and 3 or 4 12ax7s, say 10 bucks a peice.

thats 110, IF there are 4 power tubes, and 4 preamp tubes at the MOST they would EVERY cost. and since theres no bias adjustment on those amps. labor should be like 10 bucks.

Archived