big gm job cuts

guitarjrw

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It is sad and i would gladly buy a Chevy if GM could make a car as reliable as a Honda or Toyota. But i have my own economy to think about. I bought a Chevy s-10 in 1995 and i spent thousands to keep it running so i didn't buy another Chevy and i swore i wouldn't ever again. Obviously, GM needs to make more reliable and better cars, it's as simple as that. My S-10 blew it's head gasket at 40,000 miles just as i went over the warranty mileage. But what really got me pissed was the assholes as the dealer telling me "what did you expect, you bought a Chevy".

• Members
Originally posted by danyeo

It is sad and i would gladly buy a Chevy if GM could make a car as reliable as a Honda or Toyota.

+1 --- agreed. Overall, I think the Japanese are making better quality cars right now, than the Americans; sad, but true :(

-Attila

• Members

Originally posted by indespise

I wou;dn't blame the Japanese auto makers as much as GM themselves. The Japanese comanies that have set up factories in the US make much better profits and actually treat their employees better (in most cases).

Well i don't know about the treatment of the employees, i don't that has any impact in this. I do know that GM pays for the healthcare for over 1 million employees and retirees.

• Members
Originally posted by Tubesteakfortone

It all about health care both employees and their cars! If we took better care of ourselves we wouldnt need health care to the extent the GM crowd has come to know. I mean Cancer in American is the 2 killer. It isn't even in the top 10 in other countries...just a random thought!

Freedom isn't free.

• Members

I heard that $1500 of every car goes for healthcare bennies.
I just bought a 1985 Caprice with 43,000 miles on it just like one we put 250,000 miles on and was the best car I ever owned hope this one goes that far:)
When they quit building the full size rear wheel drive vehicles they really shot themselves in the foot.

• Members
Originally posted by guitarjrw

30000 american jobs gone. think about that before you buy that new honda.

{censored}em'! :mad: I own a Honda Pilot and a Subaru Outback, and they both have heated leather seats. If the greedy union bastards hadn't of required $21 and hour to sweep floors, then they wouldn't be in this predicament. UAW makes substandard {censored} for high labor rates. I'll not shed one damned tear.

• Members

I've been buying GM cars for 20 years and have never had any major problems with one of them. As a matter of fact I've had friends in the last year who have had trannies blow out of Honda's and AC's ($1,000) go bad on Toyota's that are only a year or two old.
When they go bad they are way overpriced to fix. Significantly more than my Chevy's.
From what I've experienced they are no better than any other car. It's all about maintanance, and preventative maintenance.
No thanks.

Yes, GM is bloated and needs to revamp thier company.

:cool:

• Members
Originally posted by BadRonald

As a matter of fact I've had friends in the last year who have had trannies blow out of Honda's and AC's ($1,000) go bad on Toyota's that are only a year or two old.

When they go bad they are way overpriced to fix.

:cool:

Well, then your friends wouldn't really know how much it was to fix these cars since obviously they were still under warranty, right?

• Members

Originally posted by DirtyBird

Well it's kind of ironic considering all the american brands are making their cars in mexico... I swear the Japs are making as many cars in the US as the US companies are...

I know here, the Toyota Plants seem to be growing, and the GM plants keep closing...

• Members

My best friend is a service manager at Beaman auto service here in Nashville. Beaman is a dealer of Toyota and Pontiac, but he gets cars of all kinds through there.

He grew up on American Muscle cars as did his father. About a year after he got the job at Beaman, he completely gave up on American cars and he is now about to unload money on a new Toyota.

He has been working there for over 2 years and he says that the vast majority of cars that come through there for service(other than regular maintenance) are GM cars. He tells me all the time just how ridiculous it is.

This dude used to be a harcore American car fan(he and his father restored a 71 Chevelle from the ground up and his father restored a 67 vette from the ground up, and sold it to pay for a new house in full) who used to bash foreign cars to hell and back, and to see him turn so abruptly after spending tons of time with numerous cars is just eye-opening.

I really hope my friend isnt at risk of losing his job.:(

Archived