Here it is - new Yamaha S70XS & S90XS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This instrument is packaged into the S90 case, probably with different end caps. So the weight isn't going to be substantially different. The thing about the 76 key unit is that it has WEIGHTED keys, and it has a lot of live performance options. It may not be a direct replacement for an S90ES, its only one generation, but there players that need to upgrade because their KB is a lot older than one generation.

Stop whinning everyone, give it a chance.

Mike T.

• Members
But if its too heavy and the dimensions are wrong, it doesn't matter what it plays like (like the mail order bride!)

And there's bound to be a ridiculously high price attached to the thing - hey, the analogy still works!
;)

5th Element: Russian mail order brides can be used as an analogy for just about anything. Gotta love the blondes.

Question: Is the following a new feature, or was the S90-ES able to do this as well?

"You can also record audio directly to the internal flash memory (192 MB) built
into the instrument, without the need of a memory device.

And keep in mind that anything you've recorded to the memory device, even audio files created on your computer, can be played back on the S90 XS/S70 XS - which means you can create your own custom audio backing tracks and perform along with them on the S90 XS/S70 XS.

For example, you can create a basic song track beforehand, then sing and solo over it during your performance. Or add guitar parts and vocal harmonies to be played back with your live performance. There's also a useful Song Chain function that lets you string together separate recordings and create a convenient backing track "set list" for your gigs."

Does this mean you can create/record backing tracks beforehand ON the board itself, or is it saying you can hook up a PC program to the board, record it on the comp, then transmit it back to the board?

• Members

GuitarSoul34 - The S90ES had no internal audio recording or playback capabilities whatsoever.

As for your second question, I believe that the board can both record backing tracks itself and also play back files created on your computer, based on the quote you posted.

• Members

Is this it: :confused:

http://www.yamahasynth.com/products/synthesizers/s9070_xs/

The best musical instruments start with top-quality sounds, and the S90 XS/S70 XS delivers
all that - and more. The S Series features all the Voices, Performances, arps and Virtual Circuit Modeling effects found on the flagship MOTIF XS Music Production Synthesizer.
Plus we've added a huge 142 megabytes dedicated exclusively to high-quality piano waveforms, for a total of 456 MB of instrument samples.

:thu::idea::thu:

• Members

is this really a significant improvement to the s90es? I'm an ES owner, and I see no compelling reason to upgrade. I guess if it sounds significantly better then maybe it could be improvement. i am really turned off by new screen and layout too.

• Members

Here is a link to a new S70XS/S90XS video. Enjoy !

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/videos/view/s90_xs_s70_xs_released/

"And they've actually REDUCED the number of available effects S70XS - 9 reverb types vs. 20 on the S90ES; 22 chorus types vs. 49 on the S90ES...). "

Actually that's not technically correct, the S90XS and S70Xs have the same effects as the Motif XS which are signficantly more types than what was available on the S90ES .

What we did is change how we count the number of effects. On the S90ES there were Reverb effect Types for example Small Hall 1, Small Hall 2 etc. These "Types" made with the same Small Hall algorithm with just different parameter settings. On the Motif XS ( and S90XS/S70XS) , we combined those effect types that were made with the same algorithms as Presets within one Small Hall type. So there is one Small Hall Type with different Presets ( all the ones from the ES and actually more).

All of the effects that were in the ES are in the XS. Plus there are actually way more effects on the XS products included the Rev X reverb and Virtual Circuit Modeling effects imported from the DM and O Series Yamaha Digital Consoles.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

• Members
"And they've actually REDUCED the number of available effects S70XS - 9 reverb types vs. 20 on the S90ES; 22 chorus types vs. 49 on the S90ES...). "

Actually that's not technically correct, the S90XS and S70Xs have the same effects as the Motif XS which are signficantly more types than what was available on the S90ES .

What we did is change how we count the number of effects. On the S90ES there were Reverb effect Types for example Small Hall 1, Small Hall 2 etc. These "Types" made with the same Small Hall algorithm with just different parameter settings. On the Motif XS ( and S90XS/S70XS) , we combined those effect types that were made with the same algorithms as Presets within one Small Hall type. So there is one Small Hall Type with different Presets ( all the ones from the ES and actually more).

All of the effects that were in the ES are in the XS. Plus there are actually way more effects on the XS products included the Rev X reverb and Virtual Circuit Modeling effects imported from the DM and O Series Yamaha Digital Consoles.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Athan, if I was confused, it wasn't a failure on my part; Yamaha needs to kick some marketeer's ass. Y'all have used one convention for counting effects algorithms for generations of the Motif/S line. Now you decide to change up, but fail to clearly explain that in your spec sheet? Someone needs to have their ass chewed out, but it's not me -- a previously potential customer.

Hope that clears up any confusion. :cop:

• Members

I'd rather buy a mbp and controller than yet another mediocre rompler.. wait I already did. The tenori-on was cool (although $1200 vs $300 for a kp3 is a bad deal). The only yamaha synths I like are from 15+ years ago they haven't done anything innovative since then it seems.

• Members

Woah... 2821 pounds for the S90XS? That doesn't seem right.

2821 = $4,675.

How can this cost MORE than a brand new Motif XS?

Uh... I can go buy an S90ES for $1500 new. What are they thinking?

I should also mention that I don't know what "15% VAT" means. Still. I can't justify an ADDITIONAL $3k for nearly the same thing.

• Members

Buapo: I had the same reaction when I put the amount into the pounds --> US Dollar converter. I can't imagine that price listing is correct...$2000-$2300 seems like more the right ballpark. Where on Sonic State was that number pulled from, a Yamaha site or just some random post?

Question about dropped price of S90-ES: Right now the S90-ES is around $2000 retail, stores that you can haggle with you could already get it down to around $1600. How low do you think most stores would go when they need to get rid of all the ES's, once the XS version of the S series is released? Would $1300 be possible? Anyone know how much the price dropped for the Motif ES once the Motif XS came out in stores two years ago?

• Members
I have a sad, pathetic theory of how they might try to justify that peep-hole caliber LCD: most people that need to do any "serious editing" will do so with an included PC editor.
:freak:
>

According to this video: http://lims.musicradar.com/tech/video-yamaha-s70-xs/ this is true...

In the video Yamaha-Bert states that you won't need a bigger display because you can use the free software editor for any serious editing...

It seems that basically the S90XS re-uses the OS from the Motif Rack XS. The Display is the same size on both machines and serious editing is only possible with the editor software. Sad...

• Members

Quote by Tony Robbins:

"i heard the demos. and nothing that is spectacular"

The Roland V Piano has also been criticized for being too expensive for a "one-trick pony".

All I can say is TOUGH CROWD. Yamaha comes out with a new "S" series synth with weighted action AND a number of live performance controls, and everyone is throwing stones at it already. :confused:

Roland is trying an innovative digital piano that is different than the sample based digitial pianos and they get criticized for being to expensive.

No matter what any of these manufacturer do, people are digging a whole in the ground to bury it before its even released. It gets old, give it a rest people. Why don't you wait until you SEE and PLAY one before passing judgment. :cop:

And NO, I don't work for Yamaha, they're not that desperate. ;)

Mike T.

• Members

Mike that is par for the course. This is the dark side of the internet. Anything new, like movies for instance do not stand a chance anymore because it is deemed unworthy or sucks before it has a chance. It's the same when I visit sites like comingsoon.net or superherohype.com. And it is too bad because that is a negative. There is no thrill of walking into a music store like there used to be. Reviews and information is a good thing but all said in done I will get an S-90 XS regardless of weight, pitch wheel location or length.

• Members

According to this video:
this is true...

In the video Yamaha-Bert states that you won't need a bigger display because you can use the free software editor for any serious editing...

It seems that basically the S90XS re-uses the OS from the Motif Rack XS. The Display is the same size on both machines and serious editing is only possible with the editor software. Sad...

Well, it seems that the emphasis is on ease of use specifically with regard to setting up for performance - creating splits and layers - rather than tweaking individual voices.

I would like to know a bit more about things like effects routing for parts when creating the various splits and layers; I guess that will come.

One thing that puzzles me a bit is their emphasis on being able to set things up "on-the-fly." I generally have all my sounds chosen and my splits and layers set up before ever going to rehearsal. I don't think I've ever said to myself "man, I need some strings behind this now.

Archived