Here it is - new Yamaha S70XS & S90XS

• Members

Outkaster:

Hey, if you like the sound, the feel, and the performance features, get it. I don't worry about what other people say or what they think, if a board does what I need it to do, its my money.

Edit:

Gunslinger, there are a lot of people that want to do things on the fly. Sometimes a band changes up their song list on the fly and you got to be ready to roll.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think it's strictly about layering/splitting "on the fly" at an actual performance. It's more about quickness and ease of use, no matter what the situation is.

I think it's great that Yamaha is working on this side of things because I love their sound but haven't particularly liked their OS's.

• Members

All I can say is TOUGH CROWD. Yamaha comes out with a new "S" series synth with weighted action AND a number of live performance controls, and everyone is throwing stones at it already.
:confused:

Mike, Remember that we're all looking at this thing from different perspectives. If I didn't already own an S90ES, I'd be pumped as hell about the new model, and would probably be placing an advance order for an S70XS.

BUT... I DO own an S90ES and, from what I've seen so far, the new model does not offer me any compelling reason to upgrade. I used to own an S90, and thought it was a great piece, but I sold it to buy the S90ES because I felt the ES was enough of an upgrade to justify the additional cost.

I have been really looking forward to the S70XS because I knew it would sound awesome. But I hoped it would be short enough to fit into a typical 76-key case, which would allow me to haul it in something other than my thirsty pickup truck. Since it won't, Yamaha missed the mark with me. But that's just me.

• Members

I have been really looking forward to the S70XS because I knew it would sound awesome. But I hoped it would be short enough to fit into a typical 76-key case, which would allow me to haul it in something other than my thirsty pickup truck. Since it won't, Yamaha missed the mark with me. But that's just me.

+1

• Members

I own an S80 and love it. But it's time to upgrade. I've been waiting for this for years. But the retail price is casuing me some pause. I hope the street price is much, much lower.

And I hope those knobs don't break off too easily! They seem to be in a precaious spot...

• Members

I think the street price will be a lot lower, considering what the street price "was" for the XS8.

We shouldn't have too much to worry about.

I fiddled around the idea of purchasing the S90ES, but I never committed even though I loved the board. I never found a great deal. Now that this is out, plus I finally have the money to buy a nice keyboard, I'm pretty sure this is going to be it.

Remember, places like Sam Ash and Guitar Center sometimes have 20% off items that are $500 and more. I know for a fact that the local Sam Ash has one of these sales once a month, lately. So, even if it's $2,700, 20% off is $540. After taxes, you might be able to sneak out with it for $2350 or so. These are just guesses, of course. But I can dream, can't I?

If I had an S90ES, I wouldn't be buying this "upgrade," but I don't play in a band and I like to be able to layer and split without having to goof around. I have a Concertmate 990, and there are dedicated split and layer buttons. And I bought that cheapo in 1996 or 97? No reason it shouldn't be as easy on a 2k+ board.

• Members

Wasn't this guy banned for life? Why is he back?

He doesn't even know what a S90XS will sound like.

Plus, the piano on the S90ES already sounds better than the piano on the PC3X (arguably)... and the action's slightly better too... (also, the opinion of most people I've talked to)

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just wanted to bump this up for anyone that has played/seen it at NAMM that might have any comments. I'm real curious to hear what people think of this board.

Guess you missed my thread about this....even with my award-winning animated GIF of the S90es over the S90xs!!!!!

Okay...maybe not...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2378151

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I have an S90ES and have been planning on an S90XS mostly because of the 8 elements versus 4, BUT can anyone answer this basic question (though I'm not a rookie on S90's by any means, have had them all): Are the extra 4 voice elements used for making the voice sound "better*"? I see they are used for Expanded Articulation stuff, which I don't really care about. *My definition of "Better" in this context means in terms of realism/thickness/clarity/accuracy. So for example a violin would sound that much more like a violin? A Moog would be that much fatter? Or not? And if not, is it just that the voices will have more Articulation effects only? Thanks much.

• Members

I've always thought the S90ES's "Master Mode" would work well for controlling a medium sized rig live, but there are only 128 Master locations available. (I've seen musical theater books that would require well over 300.) Does anyone know if the new S90XS offers multiple banks of Master locations? I downloaded the manual but could not determine this.

Archived