Here it is - new Yamaha S70XS & S90XS

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have a sad, pathetic theory of how they might try to justify that peep-hole caliber LCD: most people that need to do any "serious editing" will do so with an included PC editor.

Yeah but that argument isn't going to cut it with those of us who edit our sounds away from home. I'm tweaking a new board in rehearsal, on stage - and this is supposed to be a stage oriented board. You can't tell what things are going to sound like until you play through your stage system with the band.

Yamaha puts larger more informative displays than this on their PSRs. I'm not sure what's going on here.

• Members

My guess is the work flow goes like this- you use the PC editor to do the main creation. you get to the gig and have to adjust a parameter, it's easily accessible via a knob, you tweak, and save.

• Members

Sorry I don't buy those specs. They look identical to the S90ES. If the Motif XS has 355MB (when converted to 16-bit linear format), 2,670 waveforms, why would the S90XS have so much less, considering it supposedly has ALL the Motif XS waveforms plus a new piano. Also the editors in the spec reference ES only, not the XS.

I'm betting the PLG boards are gone as well as the breath controller.

Busch.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that all this amounts to is a tiny bit of premature editing to that shop's existing S90ES page.

The board pictured is not the new S90XS, presuming that has the same look as the 70 leaked on the video. Plus, there is no reference to any of the new features Athan Billias mentioned in that video. Plus, as Busch pointed out, the specs posted on that page are 100% comparable with that cited on the ES's official Yamaha site page.

I would personally be surprised if breath control survived. How many 90-users actually use that feature? The trend in modern manufacturing is to cut costs by deleting features not seen as "mainstream" - the reason Apple gave yesterday for subbing out the Express card on the new Macbook Pros for an SD slot.

The PLG slots, I think, have not a cat in hell's chance of surviving. The Motif XS range already demonstrated that Yamaha views that as pretty much redundant technology.

• Members

I'm pretty sure that all this amounts to is a tiny bit of premature editing to that shop's existing S90ES page.

The board pictured is not the new S90XS, presuming that has the same look as the 70 leaked on the video. Plus, there is no reference to any of the new features Athan Billias mentioned in that video. Plus, as Busch pointed out, the specs posted on that page are 100% comparable with that cited on the ES's official Yamaha site page.

I would personally be surprised if breath control survived. How many 90-users actually use that feature? The trend in modern manufacturing is to cut costs by deleting features not seen as "mainstream" - the reason Apple gave yesterday for subbing out the Express card on the new Macbook Pros for an SD slot.

The PLG slots, I think, have not a cat in hell's chance of surviving. The Motif XS range already demonstrated that Yamaha views that as pretty much redundant technology.

+1000000000000000

• Members

Hm... I was really interested in the S70XS when I saw the video, but now I'm not so sure.

I currently play an S90ES and absolutely love it. Its biggest drawbacks are its size and weight, so I was thinking I might buy an S70XS for gigging and leave the S90ES at home for practicing.

Looking at the specs, though, I just don't know if it would be worth it. While the S70XS adds some features (like additional wave ROM, waveforms, etc.), it's only 5" shorter than the S90ES and only 5.6 lb lighter. And they've actually REDUCED the number of available effects S70XS - 9 reverb types vs. 20 on the S90ES; 22 chorus types vs. 49 on the S90ES...).

Unless Yamaha prices them very competitively, I don't know if I can justify the cost.

• Members

I looked all over that website and never found anything on the S90X except for one thing and when I clicked on it an ad for the Fantom played, and on that note Id be pretty hopping mad if I were Roland- did any of you guys see the NAMM demo of the new Roland Brass expansion board for the G series?- that dude seriously has now idea how brass is played.

• Members

And they've actually REDUCED the number of available effects S70XS - 9 reverb types vs. 20 on the S90ES; 22 chorus types vs. 49 on the S90ES...).

Most of the reverb and chorus types on the ES series are actually one effect with different settings. I think it was to make programming easier, but it could have well been to inflate the numbers on the spec sheet as a side benefit. The way these guys think.

MOtif XS reverbs are much nicer than ES reverbs. I think the same will be true with these "S" boards.

• Members
Outkaster, you beat me to the punch. No one's even PLAYED the board yet or seen it in person. It would be like buying a mail order bride from Russia with only going off of a picture instead of properly trying her out at the store.

But if its too heavy and the dimensions are wrong, it doesn't matter what it plays like (like the mail order bride!)

And there's bound to be a ridiculously high price attached to the thing - hey, the analogy still works! ;)

• Members

Couldn't they have made a synth instead of yet another rompler (which is a truncated version of another rompler) with a few minor improvements (over the previous truncated version of another rompler)?

Seems silly, just buy the motif instead.

Archived