Thoughts on Mesa Boogie?

Tosis Maguill

• Members

Originally posted by Dmantis

I tried my ass off to buy a mesa Boogie. But everyone I played, I felt it lacked one way or another. No Mesa has great cleans except the Lonestar. I heard the Roadkind does But I never played one. My problem is that when you get good cleans, you get a weak drive channel. When you get a killer drive channel, you have crappy raspy cleans. I want my cake and eat it to.Mesa didn't provide that for me. I would have to buy 2 of them to make one amp.

Dan

Crunch and Clean tones of Mesa MKIII Coliseum

Click here

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

What are your thoughts on Mesa Boogie?

I love them, personally.

I used to play through one, but it was taken away by it's owner.

Now I dream of owning the Road King.

Wow. I love Mesa Boogie like mad.

I like the Mark IIC+. My bandmate has one and it rocks.

The Blue Angel is nice too.

I've heard a few respectable F series clips.

But, most of their other stuff does absolutely nothing for me. I actually bought a Road King once and I couldn't get it out of my house fast enough. It was a real POS. I actually went through three of them in the store and none completely worked. The one I brought home fresh in the box even had problems. The clean channel never really got clean. Channel 2 didn't have enough gain to even serve as a crunchy blues channel. And, channels 3 & 4 were buzzy mush.

• Members

Originally posted by Bloozman

Sorry to piss on everyones parade, but I own(sigh) a Lonestar Special 1x12 combo, and its {censored}ty. Ive had it for 5 months, and it hasnt worked right for 2 of the 5...wouldnt buy another Mesa if they were on a half price sale!!...also, everyone raves about the tech support from Mesa...lemme tell ya...Mesa's tech support SUCKS!!!

What is wrong with it? I have had my LS Special 1x12 for 17 months now and I have had zero problem, but I would like to know what to look out for. I can't speak to Mesa's tech support because I have not had any problems with any of my Mesa amps. Tech support has helped me with general questions though.

• Members

I love my Mesa's, but I don't have any of their high gain stuff. My Mesa amps:

Lone Star Special 1x12 combo
Stiletto Duece Series 1
Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo

They all put a smile on my face when I play them. The Ace, being the newest, has been getting most of my attention lately but the LS has returned to rotation quickly as usual.

• Members

Originally posted by jimSG

I love my Mesa's, but I don't have any of their high gain stuff. My Mesa amps:

Lone Star Special 1x12 combo

Stiletto Duece Series 1

Stiletto Ace 1x12 combo

They all put a smile on my face when I play them. The Ace, being the newest, has been getting most of my attention lately but the LS has returned to rotation quickly as usual.

tell me more about the Ace!

• Members

Originally posted by inkwachemis

tell me more about the Ace!

I have had it a little more than a week so it still has the new amp aura about it...however I love it. I have always been happy with my Duece so I was very leary about going with a series two -- I have had the Duece S1 a year.

I liked the way the first series sounded and I was worried that they might have screwed it up. But my desire for a Stiletto in a combo form factor won out and boy am I happy I pulled the trigger. I think it is better -- I think it refines some of the things they were trying to do with the series one. I think the fat clean sounds much better on the Ace. And fluid drive is more focused on the Ace red channel. There is more gain to be had on the Ace but it is not over the top (and that is a plus in my book). Overall it is a much clearer amp.

I hope this helps. I don't really mess with clips because I travel so much that I just play when I'm home. I'll see if I can get my son to put something together.

• Members

Originally posted by jimSG

What is wrong with it? I have had my LS Special 1x12 for 17 months now and I have had zero problem, but I would like to know what to look out for. I can't speak to Mesa's tech support because I have not had any problems with any of my Mesa amps. Tech support has helped me with general questions though.

yeah, i would like to hear the trouble too. i just got a special last week. best combination of channels they ever did for the style of play that i go for.

have owned a half dozen mesa amps over the years and never had the first problem with any of them. i don't consider tube replacement a problem with a tube amp, btw. that obviously comes part and parcel with the deal.

Archived