Thoughts on Mesa Boogie?

Tosis Maguill

• Members
Originally posted by OneArmedScissors

Haha I love how any time an amp doesn't have enough gain to simulate a swarm of giant death bees from space, it automatically needs an OD to do metal.
:p

Any amp that needs more than two gain stages to do metal makes me laugh.

I play death metal with my MIM Tele plugged into the P.A.!

I can do that because I'm so much more badass then people who think their cool because they don't use OD pedals with a plexi:rolleyes:

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I love my dual rectifier and wont ever sell it. Im still in the process of tweaking the amp and havent found my tone yet. I've had it for about 6 months. Lots of usable tones coming from it though. I am using a marshall 1960a cab and plan on getting a standered recto cab. Maybe that will help.

They have a brand new mark iv at a shop down the street for 1399. Im gonna go hook it up and jam on it for awhile. :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by SteveP

Im still in the process of tweaking the amp and havent found my tone yet. I've had it for about 6 months.

Damn..thats a long time to tweak an amp and still not find your tone . Hope you get it working for you .

JB

• Members

As many of you know, I'm a proud Mesa supporter. I still play the hell out of my Dual Rectifier 2 channel and I love it. I can get MY sound out of it, and that's something I had been trying to do for years before I bought it. I have been recently setting aside some cash for a Mark series. I'm not sure which one I'll go with (I need to play more of them), but ever since I played through a Mark IV, I've wanted one. I'll probably pick up a Mesa 4x12 when the local music store has their after Christmas sale.

• Members

Mesa Boogie: Love it or Hate it...not much in between.

You either are really into it's tone or you don't like it at all.

I am not a Mesa guy, though I own a Dual. It's louder than most amps and sounds really good in a down-tuned mode with copious amounts of power chords.

Not one-trick-pony but close.

• Members
Originally posted by Ripping Rudy

Story: Played a gig last night and the sound guy has been in the business for 20 yrs and is a guitar player too. He tells me "Never get rid of that amp - It's one of the best sounds I've ever heard". I said to him that the Mesa amps are hard to get used to because you actually have to crank the mids up to get a great sound. He said - get this...... He said - "You have to crank the mids because the Mesa is a REAL AMP". He went on to say that most other brands sell total {censored} where you have to scope the mids and kill the treble and presence to get a decent sound.

Mesa's and the old Marshall JCM 800's are total MAN amps. The both require some skill to take advantage of their potential but once you do - they can't be beat.

I was using the Mesa Boogie F-100 that night.

Cool story. :)

• Members
Originally posted by Firegoat

What are the differences between the short and medium Mark IV heads? Any lost functionality with the short?

If its like some of the other Mesa heads a few features/controls would be on the back due to lack of front panel room. My short head Nomad 45 has the three reverb knobs and a couple of switches on the back.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
Originally posted by Dale B.

New:

Short & Medium Head - 1849

1x12 Widebody and Compact Combo - 1949

Used (when you can find them now):

I haven't seen them any lower than $1200, but there are some deals that have popped up here and there I'm sure. I forget how much I bought this last one for. I'm thinking I paid right at $1300 for it, but the guy, who was the original owner, only had it for like 3 or 4 months. It's a Medium Head. Needless to say, I stopped looking at the Mark IV's after that.

Dale

that's so rad. i paid $1099 for mine brand new, a few months ago. :D not too often you can buy something new and make a profit selling it used. unfortunately, i'd have to actually sell it to accomplish that. :(

• Members

I like some of them, and not others. I do think they vary a lot. I like the Marks a lot. Im not a huge Recto fan, but I think I could like them with some pedals.

I DO NOT like the DC series, the Nomads, Forumla Preamp, etc... Total Mush.

Archived