Thoughts on Mesa Boogie?

Tosis Maguill

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Good manufacturer with faux-boutique brand name carrying a wide enough selection, providing attractive amps with character and options, simultaneously pushing the envelope only as fast as people can follow.

No matter how rich, I would own a boogie.

• Members

I agree on the love hate relationship, But I'll tell you this...
After about 2 years now, since I've had my mark iv head dialed in correctly to jive with all my other gear..I can't get that bitchin tone with anything else..not even close...

• Members

Sorry to piss on everyones parade, but I own(sigh) a Lonestar Special 1x12 combo, and its {censored}ty. Ive had it for 5 months, and it hasnt worked right for 2 of the 5...wouldnt buy another Mesa if they were on a half price sale!!...also, everyone raves about the tech support from Mesa...lemme tell ya...Mesa's tech support SUCKS!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I actually like the Rectos and don`t think they are a one trick pony. Although I do think the Single Recto is the best of the bunch. I really like mine.

I was actually suprised by the low gain tones available. I like the clean channel volume way up then adjust the master for over-all volume. I also like the pushed mode.

Vintage mode on the lead channel kills for soloing and of course modern mode is great for thick rhythms with simple chord shapes.

I`ve never gotten a chance to really sit down with a Mark IV, but did try one for a little while once. I came away thinking it was a great amp, but there was so much going on. I don`t think I even began to see what it could do.

I love Mesa`s quality build. My Single feels very, very solid. And my Boogie 4x12 has sounded good with every amp I`ve played through it.

Eric

100_0336.jpg

• Members

Bet mass-produced amp in the world at the moment (quality-wise), IMO (of course). As a company, they stand behind their products and treat 2nd -hand buyers the same as new buyers. I've called to ask for stuff like pots for my Mark IV and they've sent me spares for free. I have always been treated with respect by them. Not a single problem ever, and I've owned one or more Boogies for over 15 years.

They are a little controlling with their dealers. The one price thing everyone knows about. They are also very uptight about a dealer selling to someone in another dealer's area. They frown on that quite heavily.

• Members

Originally posted by facefirst

speaking of Mesa. This is just a shot in the dark but does anyone have any extra EQ slider tips for a Mark series? I need 2

Dude, call Mesa. Ask them how much. They might just offer to send them to you at no cost. That's what they did for me with the volume pots for my Mark IV.

• Members

I think Mesa Roadkings are quite possibly the BEST damn amps ever!

I for one, will keep it real and say that i dont think the overall mesa tone is "the best"....but their distorion and tonal-dynamics are 2nd to none.

I hate how you can turn the knobs on the eq from min to max and back and notice just a minimal difference. The shaping abilities of mesas are quite limited. But I'll take them any day over anything else. I especially love the roadkings. When I get done with school and get a real job, I'm gonna save my pennies and snatch me one up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I tried my ass off to buy a mesa Boogie. But everyone I played, I felt it lacked one way or another. No Mesa has great cleans except the Lonestar. I heard the Roadkind does But I never played one. My problem is that when you get good cleans, you get a weak drive channel. When you get a killer drive channel, you have crappy raspy cleans. I want my cake and eat it to.Mesa didn't provide that for me. I would have to buy 2 of them to make one amp.

Dan

• Members
Originally posted by Tosis Maguill

What are your thoughts on Mesa Boogie?

I love them, personally.

I used to play through one, but it was taken away by it's owner.

Now I dream of owning the Road King.

Wow. I love Mesa Boogie like mad.

I love mine and have been using it as my main gigging amp for 20 years.

Zach's%20rig%20with%20fender%20001.jpg

Archived