So you're not into old samplers ?

gilwe

• Members

I am one of the crazy keyboardists who still have the patience to sit through the disc loading and still have a few hardware samplers.

Oh, yes... the E-II... I've always wanted one of these... I'll get it one of these days (with the library hopefully)... So many classic sounds...

btw, I just noticed: the "hollow pad" sound at 1:01 - sounds like E-mu (or OMI) might have sampled the Oberheim "St. Genevieve"... very beautiful...

• Members

Paolo,

I have a working Emulator II with the entire Universe of Sound library, plus many other disks, and a flight case. 500+ floppies in total. Make me an offer and when I have finished my work with it, I'd be happy to let it go. I am in the Philadelphia area.

Mr. Anderton's draft copy of the manual is included btw. :)

Paolo,

I have a working Emulator II with the entire Universe of Sound library, plus many other disks, and a flight case. 500+ floppies in total. Make me an offer and when I have finished my work with it, I'd be happy to let it go. I am in the Philadelphia area.

Mr. Anderton's draft copy of the manual is included btw.
:)

That's great news for Paolo :thu:

In my case, I guess I don't love that much the sounds in order I should take all the hassle to manage loading times, organizing diskettes and taking such a beast to a gig -or simply having it occupying physical space at my studio for some cool sounds I could emulate with a software which does another gazillion things, faster and easier-. (Let's forget for a while if it is "the same" or not sonically, ok? It's only my POV. ;) )

Still, lovable sounds, thanks for sharing the video.

Oh! And nice rendition of "A question of Time". :thu:

Are those EMAX, right? I never owned one, but worked with them at a friend's studio. Those ones, compared to the MIRAGE I had were just heaven.

• Members

Gus..... :lol:

all the hassle to manage loading times, organizing diskettes and taking such a beast to a gig

The previous owner gigged it! He told me I was crazy to try and move it in the case without a dolly. I tried and he laughed at me. "See? I told you! It's a boat anchor." :cop:

or simply having it occupying physical space at my studio for some cool sounds I could emulate with a software which does another gazillion things, faster and easier-

This is the worst part! It is so damn big, and it just sits there 99% of the time. But you can never emulate the Emulator. :D

However, when I do power it up, I have to say it IS incredible.....

Reminds me a lot of a JD-800 in terms of its sound, especially when you give it nice effects.:love:

• Members

• Members

Oh yah, check THIS:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

or this:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Luckily for us DSS-1 owners, there's a guy making a SCSI/USB kit that also adds a few megs of flash RAM to it. He's even looking into a backup battery so it'll retain the samples when you power off.

Unfortunately, I think I would have to sell my house with the DSS-1. It's too big and too much hassle to move it out of the house! The thing's like an aircraft carrier!

-Mc

• Members

Out of interest, I came upon a unit recently called an Oberheim DPX-1. It claims to be able to play and read EII floppies. (and take up less space
:D
)

I had a few of these for years, to my ears the DPX-1 has none of the magic of the Emulator II, the high frequency response is particularly weak. If you can't deal with an actual EII you'd be much better off just porting the Emulator library into Kontakt or something similar.

• Members

What? No Akai love? I had a couple of S612's when they were all the rage, then a couple of S900's. Actually, I don't miss them one bit. I preferred the Mirage and still toy with the idea of getting one although I always fancied the S-50 and that cool CRT imaging screen. Shame about the crappy memory.

• Members

I heard a lot of the more "modern" 90s-and-above samplers. None of them sounded even close. I'm really keen on getting an EII / EIII at this point :eek:

BTW, any idea which sound library all these DM samples were taken from and where I can get these ? ;)

• Members

DM did their own stuff on People are People, and as far as I know on pretty much everything.

Universe of Sound does have a lot of familiar sounds, especially from movies, TV commercials, and the like.

There was an Emulator "scene" back in the 80s, and that's how a lot of stuff got around.....From one hand to the other, thanks to two floppy drives in every Emulator II. I have quite a few of those disks in addition to the Universe of Sound library. I'd say those are much cooler.

John Carpenter's Big Trouble In Little China is riddled with Emulator II. I have a lot of the original sounds from that on floppy.

• Members

Paolo,

Mr. Anderton's draft copy of the manual is included btw.
:)

PM sent... :D

• Members

Thanks for this great posting. The old samplers are under-appreciated classics that inspired countless songs and, sadly, will never be seen again.

My first experience was with the Mirage. A beast to sample with, but the amazing K-Muse disks are still some of the best samples I've ever heard at any sampling rate and their horn section is my far the best sample I've ever played for a raw Motown horn section.

I was fortunate to work at a good music store in the 80's and got to play with the S-50 and EMAX when they first came out. I first fell in love with the S-50 keyboard becuase of it's ease of use and ability to transpose samples up and down muitiple octaves without aliasing. Unfortunately it never got a good SCSI upgrade and Single or Double Sided Double Density disks are impossible to find. Such a shame. A nice S-50 keyboard with SCSI would be a keyboard I'd want to buy today. On a side note, the Eric Pershing demos for the S-50 were a testament to his composing and sound design genius. There was one in particular called "Feet First" that I liked so much, I ported it to my EMAX.

Shortly after we got the S-50, we got the EMAX and I found a new favorite sampler because of the filters, Supermode and fantastic E-mu sound library. I bought one of the first EMAX keyboards and when the HD model came out, I sold it and bought an HD Rack which I gigged regularly through the 80's and 90's and still own today along with hundreds of disks of sounds. In 1988 loaned it to the Dust Brothers who used it to write Paul's Boutique - and I still have all the samples they left on the hard drive. To me it's a timeless and priceless treasure I'll never sell.

The old samplers were special becuase of their limitations. The Mirage offered only a few seconds of sampling, the EMAX a few dozen seconds. This led to a lot of manipulation and experimentation with the samples to get them to go further. Talk about loading times, my EMAX HD loads any bank of samples in 3 seconds! - my K2000 takes an eternity by comparison. That's only possible beacuase the Emax had a maximum memory of - are you ready? - 512K!

I regret the gradual technological migration to DAW software, loopers and software samplers. They don't have the same feel that the old classics were famous for. Yes, they are convenient and have tons of memory and sounds, but they are soulless compared to any sampler of the 80's. Any young players who haven't had a chance to experience these should do so immediately - while you still can. You should feel lucky too. My EMAX HD rack cost $3200 in 1987 ($1K was for the 20MB HD alone!) Today you can pick one up on Ebay for a tenth of that. I wouldn't touch one unless it has SCSI though. The floppies for these machines are on the verge of disappearing entirely.

Love the old samplers! Touch them!

Archived