A little melodrama

• Members

And now for your entertainment, the ElectricPuppy Players and a dude with questionable powers of common sense presents:

DEATH OF A MIDI BOARD!

(Allerian: You might want to look away.)

[scene: The Innocent Heroine!]

melodrama-001.jpg

[Cue the villian music!]

melodrama-002.jpg

[Gasp!! How humiliating!]

melodrama-003.jpg

[The Heroine shivvers despite the warm California air! Have you no decency, sir!?]

melodrama-004.jpg

[Enter the Dashing Hero! Cue fanfare!]

melodrama-005.jpg

[but what is this?!? NOOOOOOOOOO!!]

melodrama-006.jpg

[The "Hero" sizes-up his conquest! Oh the huge manatee!]

melodrama-007.jpg

What will become of our poor heroine? Tune in next time!

melodrama-008.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For those that don't know, that AVR board is a development platform intended to help designers mess around with their AVR line of microcontrollers. That's exactly what I intend to do.

I've yet to be happy with any of the MIDI keyboard controllers I've used or tried in terms of build quality and UI. I've also been itching to make a synth or keyboard related device of my own and stretch my embedded design chops more than I've been able to do at work. SO! I'm going to make The Real Ultimate MIDI Keyboard for myself.

Yes, I'm aware of the MIDIBox stuff and the Arduino, etc. For me, the end product is only half of the goal; The other half is in making it myself. I want to do as much it as I can from scratch; PCB design, case fab, all the interfacing, all of the programming... everything. Yes, I'm a backwards person. :D

I'm using the SL161's keyboard as a test subject because a) I already have it and wasn't using it anyway, and b) it ought to be electrically identical to FATAR's TP/9 keyboard, which is the one I really want, but I can save a few bucks until then. I think this is a TP/7 keybed, I'm not sure.

Now I'm off to figure out what I need to get from Mouser to hook everything together!

• Members

For those that don't know, that AVR board is a development platform intended to help designers mess around with their AVR line of microcontrollers. That's exactly what I intend to do.

I've yet to be happy with any of the MIDI keyboard controllers I've used or tried in terms of build quality and UI. I've also been itching to make a synth or keyboard related device of my own and stretch my embedded design chops more than I've been able to do at work. SO! I'm going to make The Real Ultimate MIDI Keyboard for myself.

Yes, I'm aware of the MIDIBox stuff and the Arduino, etc. For me, the end product is only half of the goal; The other half is in making it myself. I want to do as much it as I can from scratch; PCB design, case fab, all the interfacing, all of the programming... everything. Yes, I'm a backwards person.
:D

I'm using the SL161's keyboard as a test subject because a) I already have it and wasn't using it anyway, and b) it ought to be electrically identical to FATAR's TP/9 keyboard, which is the one I really want, but I can save a few bucks until then. I think this is a TP/7 keybed, I'm not sure.

Now I'm off to figure out what I need to get from Mouser to hook everything together!

Cool Project! :thu: I thought of doing the same thing a while back, but as always I got lazy, and then busy with other things I had procrastinated!

-D

• Members

240px-Villainc.svg.png

Will our hero electric puppy save the day by raising the controller from it's ashes? or will the villian, dastardly dirk, succeed in his fiendish plot to destroy it by tying it to the rail road tracks?

stay tuned for more adventures of

"The Resurrection"

or

"Would you quit fooling around with that thing and come to bed?!?!"

How about a little pian'e for these nice folks while they wait?

soapy%20at%20piano.jpg

• Members

melodrama-011.jpg

This is my first successful use of a toner transfer method. I've tried the blue press-n-peel stuff before, but never got it to transfer to the copper reliably, so I always fell back to using transparencies and pre-sensitized boards. The photo method works great, but the boards cost more and I've always been kinda iffy about the UV exposure times. If you blow it, the boards ruined and you have to get another.

This stuff I just used is a wet toner transfer paper; You print your image on it, place it over the board and run them through a laminator to stick the toner and paper to the copper. Then you soak the thing in water and the paper lifts off of the board, leaving the toner on the copper as a resist for etching.

It took me about 3 tries to get it right. The first two times my printer apparently wasn't leaving a dense enough toner image on the paper and it wasn't sticking to the copper. I may also not have been thorough enough in cleaning the copper. The third time I REALLY laid into the copper, scrubbing like crazy, and I cheated on my laser printer by telling it to print in color; That causes more toner to be laid down.

Voila! The board's ready for etching!

What's it for? This is a temporary "adapter" board that will connect between the Fatar and the AVR board, and also provides a MINI IN and a MIDI OUT port.

Wheeee!

• Members

Hey baby, wanna come up and see my etchings? :cop:

This is the board after I etched it. It turned it really well, so I guess I'll give this toner transfer thing another try next time.

melodrama-020.jpg

Next was drilling. UGH. I used to be able to get my eyeballs right up on this stuff and see clearly but now... I really struggled to get the drill lined up with the holes. If I do any more of my own boards, I'll really need to invest in a good magnifier and a smaller drill press.

Here it is, drilled and ready for stuffin'!

melodrama-021.jpg

Behold! All stuffed! The MIDI IN/OUT connectors are obvious. The red connectors mate with the ribbon cables from the keyboard, and the pin headers connect via jumpers to the AVR devel board.

melodrama-022.jpg

Finally, here's the whole thing hooked up:

melodrama-023.jpg

I'm out of time today, so I haven't even smoke-tested it yet. :eek: Tomorrow! Cross your fingers!

Archived