OT: I saw the Spinal Tap movie for the first time today

cheney50mc

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by cheney50mc

Before today was I the only one here who had never seen this movie? ps. I'm 32

That's was great when they couldn't find their way to the stage from the dressing room.

I still haven't seen it, don't feel bad that it took you so long.

• Members

Well with a sig like mine of course I'm gonna post....

I remember seeing them on Saturday Night Live as the musical act back in '84. I thought they were hilarious and recognized the actors but was floored that they were actually playing for real.

Everyone should be issued a copy of the 'Tap movie when they buy a guitar.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

Spinal Tap is one of those "you had to be there" type of movies, in my opinion. If you weren't around for the craziness of the music scene in the late 70's and early 80's, I don't think it's going to be that funny.

My band-intensive days were the late 80's/early 90s, and I beg to differ. The movie is chock full of humor that transcends any specific timeframe, IMO.

• Members

Originally posted by Allthewayto11

My band-intensive days were the late 80's/early 90s, and I beg to differ. The movie is chock full of humor that transcends any specific timeframe, IMO.

You're right, my timeframe is a bit too tight. Having been around in the late 80's, you got to see plenty of stupidity, so you would certainly get it.

• Members

Originally posted by Bob Savage

You're right, my timeframe is a bit too tight. Having been around in the late 80's, you got to see plenty of stupidity, so you would certainly get it.

Definitely. My wife will hardly chuckle at any of it, but I can barely stop laughing throughout the whole thing.

The gig at the air force base....oh man...

How much more black could this be? and the answer is

• Members

Did you get the DVD version that has the commentary option?? That is probably just as funny as the movie - best commentary disc I have ever watched (main 3 actors doing the commentary in character as the band member 20 years later - it must be heard to be believed...).

• Members

Originally posted by BrendanO

The DVD is twice as hilarious, because the commentary is done in character. So they accuse Marty of being a hack, and making them look stupid "He chooses the one night the pods didn't work to put in the film!"

and of course

'No, no, no! If I told them once, I told them a thousand times! Spinal Tap ABOVE the puppet show!"

Definately. With the commentary on, its just a whole other show, equally quoteable material in the commentary. I think I may watch it tonight.

Anyone see A Mighty Wind?

• Members

Marty DiBergi: David St. Hubbins... I must admit I've never heard anybody with that name.
David St. Hubbins: It's an unusual name, well, he was an unusual saint, he's not a very well known saint.
Marty DiBergi: Oh, there actually is, uh... there was a Saint Hubbins?
David St. Hubbins: That's right, yes.
Marty DiBergi: What was he the saint of?
David St. Hubbins: He was the patron saint of quality footwear.

Marty DiBergi: It's very pretty.
Nigel Tufnel: Yeah, I've been fooling around with it for a few months.
Marty DiBergi: It's a bit of a departure from what you normally play.
Nigel Tufnel: It's part of a trilogy, a musical trilogy I'm working on in D minor which is the saddest of all keys, I find. People weep instantly when they hear it, and I don't know why.
Marty DiBergi: It's very nice.
Nigel Tufnel: You know, just simple lines intertwining, you know, very much like - I'm really influenced by Mozart and Bach, and it's sort of in between those, really. It's like a Mach piece, really. It's sort of...
Marty DiBergi: What do you call this?
Nigel Tufnel: Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

• Members

Originally posted by DenverDave

Did you get the DVD version that has the commentary option?? That is probably just as funny as the movie - best commentary disc I have ever watched (main 3 actors doing the commentary in character as the band member 20 years later - it must be heard to be believed...).

the commentary is awesome, them doing it in character (as if it was a real documentary) is brilliant

i loved the bit where they start attacking marti, about how he only showed the problem nights where the props refused to work, or the one bad signing and so on.

David

• Members

I suprised that no one has yet mentioned that Joe Satriani plays some solos on the Spinal Tap live DVD "The Return of Spinal Tap". Also, Slash is on the CD "Break Like the Wind".

It's hilarious watching Joe Satriani trade licks with Nigel...

• Members

Originally posted by B Money

I suprised that no one has yet mentioned that Joe Satriani plays some solos on the Spinal Tap live DVD "The Return of Spinal Tap". Also, Slash is on the CD "Break Like the Wind".

It's hilarious watching Joe Satriani trade licks with Nigel...

there are a load of famous players on break like the wind, I can't remember exactly who without the cd infront of me thoug

David

Archived