Logic Studio Update!

KJI

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like the upgrade price--$300 for current express owners--which is the same as the upgrade was from express to Logic Studio 1. Maybe, now, I'll pry that money out of my wallet and go Studio. Despite its sometime-frustrating interface and complexities, it's an amazing bargain.

• Members

AUDIO QUANTIZE!!!

Finally - this was the only reason I was sticking with PT.

Onto Logic!

That's what I was thinking!

Looking through the videos, I wish I did more real drum recordings to try out all the neat editing tools :facepalm:

I may finally move up from Logic 7 now (education version, so no upgrade path... will probably spring fro Logic express).

• Members

Not enough new features to warrant a 8 -> 9 upgrade. This should have been a free 8.1 upgrade. Apple is greedy.

IMO copying Cubase 5's time stretch features and adding some guitar effects isn't cutting edge or adding something new worth the upgrade price.

Let's see after Leopard (Leotard) is released if they make some use of the GPU in Logic by proving an upgrade.

Even adding something simple as a good ROMpler would have made me upgrade (i.e. a virtual Triton).

Booring!

• Members

As someone who bought logic pro 8 under a month ago, I'm a little ticked. But I don't see any real reason to upgrade for a while. Audio quantize is cool, but I'm almost always working with midi anyway. The existing amp models and effects are fine for me. The only thing I might be jonesing for is a new virtual instrument or sampler update but it doesn't look as if those have changed at all.

• Members

I can see if you use Mainstage a lot in upgrading, but other than all the guitar stuff, it doesn't seem to be that big an upgrade.

I don't use Logic, but i've sat in on sessions (as a bassist) where they were using Logic Studio to record and have giged with a keyboardest that tried using Mainstage a few times, but he said it was too much of a resource hog and it didn't have a lot of features. Maybe Mainstage 2 is better in that regard. i thought it was cool how you could split the keyboard up anyway you wanted....even on a keyboard that didn't support splits.

• Members

My buggy (unwittingly early-adopted) Logic Pro7 was $999.

I dropped $999 for a MOTU 896 MK2.

Finding that it didn't work with OSX 10.3.9, I dropped $129 on 10.5.

10.5 made my Powerbook unuseable, so I dropped like $2200 on a new iMac.

I just dropped another $199 last month to upgrade to Logic 8.

My DAW setup finally works. I'm not going to change a thing.

My sister's old ipod won't work with Leopard, though it works with new Windows just fine.

I've had just about enough of this. Seriously thinking that my next computer will run Windows or Linux.

• Members

This update will do for me what
I've been using Ableton Live
for. I'm thrilled I'll be able to stay in Logic for the majority of my audio work.

I notice this as well with Logic 9. Somebody on the Logic team has been paying attention to Ableton products.

• Members

This update will do for me what I've been using Ableton Live for. I'm thrilled I'll be able to stay in Logic for the majority of my audio work.

This is the first thing I've noticed. I will make the upgrade. If I find I'm not using Ableton, it's getting ditched.

This was definitely a hostile update for sure...

• Members

This will work with PPC machines, it's a universal app. Only Apple won't support Logic 9 running on PPC.

Of interest to me is if they finally fixed the crappy midi timing for hardware synths?......

• Members

seeing all the plug and play devices that support Logic and not Digital Performer, ive considered making the switch.

as someone who does a lot of recording not only of myself but other bands and musicians, why would this make sense? is this just random penis envy?

if anyone has pros and cons of each system, i would love to hear about it.

i would like to like logic, but it has never seemed to gel with me... and learning DP has taken nigh onto 6 years, so a switch would be a pretty big deal to me. thoughts?

• Members

I find Logic very powerful but I still don't fully 'get' the workflow or interface. Maybe I've just worked with Adobe products too long, but all the standard things like zoom and scroll are weird--not just the function keys but the order of operations and general approach--and can't easily be changed to the way I'm used to.

• Members

I've had Logic 8 for a year and have used it less and less to the point I think I need a change ...

I'm recording my album soon ... so I guess I'll be giving it one last shot as it would be easier to go forward with Logic than start over AGAIN ...

• Members

Consider the macprovideo tutorials; I learned a lot from them, to the point that I was looking up specific items in their tutorials rather than the manual because their presentation was so much clearer. Their Logic forum is also excellent.

Archived