Logic Studio Update!

KJI

• Members

I find Logic very powerful but I still don't fully 'get' the workflow or interface.

I have the same problem. I spend like 85% percent of my time in the program trying to figure out how to do {censored} instead of actually doing it. I definitely find it powerful... and still nowhere near as accessible as I'd like.

The $200 upgrade price is decent... can't help but wonder if that cash would be better spent trying to add some better basic effects to Live though (eqs, compressors, etc.)

The amp and pedalboard effects do sound great in the demos though. I'm not a guitarist but that hasn't stopped me from running my monomachine through the guitar amp modeler and carving some interesting tones with it. Sigh...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Im jumping on this upgrade. 8 is great but these new features are really indispensable for me. The ability to stretch, speed up whole tracks, audio quantize is gonna save weeks of editing. It would have mean i could have made my last album in about a month less then i did i reckon. Now thats well worth the small upgrade fee.

• Members

What do you guys think about the Apple Pro apps still being 32bit? Does this even matter?

Found this in a FAQ at the Logic board over at Sonikmatter:

"Logic is a hybrid 64/32 bit application - and has been since version 7!!!!!!!

Some internal processing of algorithms/data occurs at 64 bit resolution (i.e. it's a 64 bit calculation).

The 64 bit has NOTHING to do with audio quality. The audio engine of Logic remains 32 bit float, but it can calculate at 64 bit IF...and ONLY IF...an effect/instrument plug-in performs such calculations (some of the internal Logic plug-ins do). You should note that in some (or most) instances, it's of NO advantage to calculate at 64 bit....and would, in fact, actually slow down some operations/calculations.

When Snow Leopard becomes available, we will undoubtedly see improvements such as access to more memory for Logic itself. As mentioned above, not all processes/internal mathematics will actually benefit from 64 bit precision, so some aspects of Logic will probably still execute 32 bit code as it is MORE efficient than equivalent 64 bit calculations."

So I dunno. Seems kind of silly them pushing other developers to convert to cocoa when they themselves are still doing carbon on their pro applications.

• Members

Um - not really. Coz it comes with all the samples and patches etc programmed and as easy to load up and edit as a rompler.

Exactly. The Triton has its sounds in ROM, which obviously doesn't work in a DAW. The closest any computer can come to sample-based synthesis... is a sample-based softsynth.

My EXS24 library kills the sounds in a Triton, anyway.

Far be it for me to complain, but Logic 9 seems to be a pretty minor update, at least compared to Logic 7

• Members

Since I use external synths and Emagic stopped SoundDiver when Apple bought them, I always hoped that at some point the midi implementation in Logic would maybe intergrate with something SoundDiver-esq.

But from the looks of it, that's not going to happen. That's the only thing I don't like about Logic, the absolute basic midi implementation :-(

• Members

Since I use external synths and Emagic stopped SoundDiver when Apple bought them, I always hoped that at some point the midi implementation in Logic would maybe intergrate with something SoundDiver-esq.

But from the looks of it, that's not going to happen. That's the only thing I don't like about Logic, the absolute basic midi implementation :-(

Big Ditto there-

a new Sound Diver would be a great addition for logic for those of us who have a few (or more) external synths.

apparently guitarists are a larger market....

• Members

Big Ditto there-

a new Sound Diver would be a great addition for logic for those of us who have a few (or more) external synths.

apparently guitarists are a larger market....

From what I understand, Apple collected tons of user input and quite literally implemented the top 10 (or 20 or whatever) features people wanted.

So if Logic 9 didn't add it, your feature request was too far down the list.

• Members

From what I understand, Apple collected tons of user input and quite literally implemented the top 10 (or 20 or whatever) features people wanted.

So if Logic 9 didn't add it, your feature request was too far down the list.

I guess a lot of "DUDE! You need some guitar stuff all up in there! :rawk:" was on the list then. :lol:

• Members

I find Logic to be really intuitive. I haven't touched the manual since I've gotten it and already pumped out a few tracks. It is my first DAW but I don't know how that should make a difference. It just seems like virtual hardware to me.

• Members

I find Logic to be really intuitive. I haven't touched the manual since I've gotten it and already pumped out a few tracks. It is my first DAW but I don't know how that should make a difference. It just seems like virtual hardware to me.

Do you mean the addition if a SoundDiver type editor / librarian feature inside Logic?

Well, yeah, it is virtualising the hardware synth's interface, not it's sound, but if you've ever tried to program patches on something like a D550 it's a godsend.

SoundDiver was well integrated with older versions of Logic when it was made by eMagic, but that has gone.

There is a freely available beta of the last version of SoundDiver available, but you need the dongle from Logic 7 to be able to run it :mad: so the code is written, just needs integrating.

I'll be keeping an eye out for suggestions for V10. I love Logic 8 and if it allowed me to use external synths as easy as a VST, it would be perfect.

• Members

I guess a lot of "DUDE! You need some guitar stuff all up in there! :rawk:" was on the list then.
:lol:

Actually, it was probably something like that. From what I've heard, a graphical Autotune/Melodyne-esque plug was also high on the request list, but in the end, Apple decided that if they can't do it as well or better than the competition, they'd just sit this one out.

Remember, MIDI geeks make up a very small portion of Logic's current user base. Hell, the number one feature I want will most likely never get implemented

• Members
Maybe I'm missing something here. It is certainly possible to run an external synth from a Logic track. What does SoundDiver do beyond that? I was new with version 8, so I have no experience with it.

SoundDiver was an editor/librarian for remotely programming most popular sound modules. If it didn't include an editor for your particular keyboard, it's relatively easy to make your own.

• Members

I just mean in general the whole layout and process seems intuitive. For really complex options I may have to look at the manual, but for what software do you not have to do that for? The fact that I could just start laying down tracks and mixing them without the manual seems like a win to me.

• Members

This will work with PPC machines, it's a universal app. Only Apple won't support Logic 9 running on PPC.

Of interest to me is if they finally fixed the crappy midi timing for hardware synths?......

No support. That means I have to wait for someone to create a book with a troubleshooting section for PPC's. :(

Apple WANTS us to buy a new computer. Mine is still running like a champ with Logic 8 and OSX 10.4.11.

I may get this upgrade, but I'll wait until OSX 10.6 is announced and grab Logic 9 with OSX 10.5. As I make music my new career, I don't want any problems. ;)

There should be the needed help books out by then also.

• Members

My sister's old ipod won't work with Leopard, though it works with new Windows just fine.

As I recall, the earlier iPods (and maybe the newer ones too) formatted themselves for either Windows or OSX when first taken out of the box and plugged into a computer.

• Members

That's like saying there is no need for a Triton when you have an S5000.

They are very different animals.
:cop:

Yeah, but come on.. a DAW like Logic isn't comparable limited architecture keyboards. You have use several software instruments together, with complex routings, and over 80 effects.. Logic Studio is what a rompler like Oasis would love to be but could never be.

There are over 4000 channel strip settings (which are like complex programs) and 1700 sampled instruments, 40 software instruments that include sample playback, drum synthesis, component modeling, subtractive and FM synths, and so much more.. Triton is so 1995.

Plus, if you really want the super rompler experience, you can always add Omnisphere which has a complex architecture like Logic, but its own sound sources.. oh yeah, it cost as much as Logic Studio. :blah:

• Members

Exactly. The Triton has its sounds in ROM, which obviously doesn't work in a DAW. The closest any computer can come to sample-based synthesis... is a sample-based softsynth.

My EXS24 library
kills
the sounds in a Triton, anyway.

Far be it for me to complain, but Logic 9 seems to be a pretty minor update, at least compared to Logic 7

Archived