OT: Tron Legacy

• Members

From the Wikipedia article:

Electronic music duo Daft Punk will be composing the film score.[18] At the time of the 2009 Comic-Con, it was revealed they have composed 24 tracks for the film.[19] The song "Separate Ways" by Journey will also be featured in the film.[19]

That's my favorite Journey song, rock. And if it means lots of Voyagers controlled by Lemurs in a pyramid (don't you have to have a license to have a Lemur? They are endangered aren't they?), I guess that's ok too :)

• Members

i agree. i was going to add that the music here has the potential to make or break the movie i suppose, if the plot / writing holds up. i would prefer an actual score with proper themes and incidental music myself. back when the original story broke and i heard daft punk was doing the music, the first thing i thought was were going to have a buck rogers style disco scene :facepalm: i am glad though they named it legacy rather than 2.0. fantasy / sci fi is such an over exploited genre right now, it'd be nice to have something decently done for once.. and not have every childhood memory ruined :cry:

• Members

are you kidding? Light cycles on a 3D track looked pretty awesome to me.

I think it looks good too, but alas CGI is expected to look good, and I think maybe we have become immune to its wow factor.

The visual impact and feel of the original film will, I doubt, ever be re-created.

• Members

yeah, doesn't quite get me excited, and i've been a fan of the original since i was a kid. from what i can see this doesn't have the same novelty of the original (being the idea that these characters are living inside a computer system - the original did a very good job of that IMO).

also, i couldn't give less of a {censored} about Wendy Carlos - what an over-hyped bag of piss s/he is. i remember watching the light cycle scene with the original score and thinking "thank god they didn't use that", the scene was much more suspenseful using just the sound fx. then again, i'm not thrilled that they used that Journey song for the end credits instead of Carlos' piece.

• Members

I agree; the original was groundbreaking and unique for its time. It was also a labor-intensive process, so I doubt they'd ever do it again.

Music... I dunno. My jury's still out. I liked the original music so much I have both the CD remaster and the original vinyl.

• Members

When I was at college studying Computer Graphics and animation, we did a Crit study on Tron. The course tutor told me, the majority of the film was actually conventional + back lit animation, and the computer rendered stuff was actually fairly sparse.

• Members

that is kind of true the computer generated stuff is very obviously different in the old tron but they worked very hard to integrate all the elements (blue screen, cgi, and so on) in to a beautiful film collage

I just think that allot of modern scifi/fantasy films (cgi is only one contributing factor) don't have the same breath of vision as older films

allot of the cgi has unimaginative virtual camera work, coloring, focal distance, and framing

this all contributes to some of the best tools for story telling being unused

and films being homogenized and boring

• Members

I think it looks good too, but alas CGI is expected to look good, and I think maybe we have become immune to its wow factor.

I found that the solution to this is to avoid seeing crappy movies with loads of CGI. The down side is that I see about one movie every two years. :confused:

• Members

For one.... that trailer was made specifically for greenlighting the pic and for Comic Con. The movie isn't even in post-production (they started filming in April)and is scheduled for release until 2010. No release has been scheduled. So I can imagine the CGI will be better.

#2- I'm pretty sure that I've heard that trailer music before for other films and it's not Daft Punk's score. About 90% of the trailers you see have music from other composers, films, because at trailer release most scores haven't even been completed.

Still... I thought the trailer rocked... and bringing the story back with Jeff Bridges involved brings a smile to my face!

• Members

Great to see Jeff Bridges back ...

Looking forward to it ... even though -- as much as I love aspects of the original movie (the score, the look, the actors and the outline of the story) -- I don't think the first one is a very good film in the final analysis ...

Disappointed W.C. isn't back ... I guess the producers didn't think the original Tron theme was timeless enough ... Wonder if it will be referenced at all ...

• Members

I think that "groundbreaking CGI" is Hollywood's problem. This film actually seems to do something unique by toning down the insane overemphasis on CGI for the sake of it - although there's still that gratuitous slo-mo of the character flipping his way out of the light cycle.

Personally, I'd like to see this film tell a good story, to hell with eye-popping CGI. I'm encouraged that they're sticking to the original's flavor rather than trying to turn this into a goddamn candyfest of over-engineered {censored}, especially since it's Disney's habit to thrust its techno-cock in its audiences' faces, and has been for decades.

I really love the original Tron (as a fairytale, if nothing else), and really hate modern CGI in film, so this is going to be a test case for me, in some ways.

• Members

I think the trick with the CGI in the new Tron is to make it look more like CGI with less realism. Realism in Tron is the wrong approach unlike most movies. Tron CGI should have visably noticable aliasing and most objects should have sharp angles, curves should be rare. They did seem to get the sparse landscape with the poor lighting right.

The helmets sucked as a costume piece that's for sure. I would never expect to see a normal looking motorcycle helmet in a tron world.

I was pretty ho-hum on the trailer till Jeff Bridges showed up. But I can do without Carlos.

• Members

am i alone in being disppointed to see the same video that they released last year? the only difference is that this one is in high def. :facepalm:

i'm still uncertain about their choice to use daft punk for the soundtrack, but i'm not a fan of daft punk.

i will say this though, i am looking forward to seeing another tron movie. i hope that they do it justice.

Archived