Technics KN-5000 info needed

pogo97

• Members

My pal where I go to jam picked up a Technics KN-5000 at a garage sale or something. I haven't laid hands on it yet but what I've googled suggests a pretty high-end thingy for its day. If it's usable, it will save me dragging my keys there. I'd like to hook it up to my laptop so I can use B4 & Pianoteq but suspect it hasn't got USB (can't find a manual online) and I'll need to convert MIDI to USB. No idea about the touch or sounds.

Anyone here with experience?

• Members

Technics sounds were always amongst the best when they were current, but the 5000 will sound somewhat lacklustre nowadays. What you do get is pretty good consistency across the whole range of sounds, a powerful sequencer with step editing capability, and pretty well-featured sound-editing.

The best thing about Technics keyboards has to be the UI. They are very intuitive and clearly laid out, with excellent use of the display. Even a product as old as the KN5000 will most likely make much more sense than even the most recent products from the big 3, especially Korg and Roland, whose UIs on their home products tend to be nothing short of embarassingly awful.

• Members

My pal where I go to jam picked up a Technics KN-5000 at a garage sale or something. I haven't laid hands on it yet but what I've googled suggests a pretty high-end thingy for its day. If it's usable, it will save me dragging my keys there. I'd like to hook it up to my laptop so I can use B4 & Pianoteq but suspect it hasn't got USB (can't find a manual online) and I'll need to convert MIDI to USB. No idea about the touch or sounds.

Anyone here with experience?

Man, I remember when I was a youngster I longed for one of these!

I used to play the one in the Mall and go crazy on it.

Congrats.

I'd like to hook it up to my laptop so I can use B4 & Pianoteq but suspect it hasn't got USB (can't find a manual online) and I'll need to convert MIDI to USB.

You just need a USB MIDI INTERFACE.

There are many from Edirol, M-Audio, Yamaha and other manufacturers and they are pretty inexpensive, from $20 to $50 USD.

• Members

Went last night. Played it. Nice keys--synth action; nice interface; variable, but mostly useable sounds. The pianos were acceptable in a mix, the drawbar organs was pretty awful (failed on the leslie sim, basically), the pads and 'synth' presets were nice. And all the workstation/arranger stuff; all surprisingly straightforward.

Ryan found it at a garage sale for...

$30

:cool:

Archived