Wireless Instrument Systems? HELP

The Boogie Man

• Members

You need to do a "search " on wireless system and understand the ups and downs of them.
Here is a short course for you.
Most systems are analog, which means they need a tune up once a year to keep them in alignment.
They use a companding circuit which compresses and then expands the circuit.
You will lose some tone in the conversion process.
They use a "squelch" control for tuning it in.
The only system that does not use this method that I am aware of is a Sennheiser Digital system, based on the X-Wire system. If you turn it on and it works, that's all you need to worry about.
While they stopped making them last year, you can probably track one down. Very little tone loss if any. I could not hear the difference, myself.
If you cannot find one, and you are going to try it before you buy it, I strongly suggest bringing your own gear to the store, hooking up different systems and carefully listening to them all before buying one.
Trying to save a few dollars now will frustrate you later when you are not happy with the tone your rig is achieving with a wireless.

• Members
Originally posted by C-4

The only system that does not use this method that I am aware of is a Sennheiser Digital system, based on the X-Wire system. If you turn it on and it works, that's all you need to worry about.

While they stopped making them last year, you can probably track one down. Very little tone loss if any. I could not hear the difference, myself.

I had an original xwire and sold it last year for the same price I purchased it. Believe the hype...it was by far the best system I have ever owned. No crosstalk no dropouts great range and above all almost as good as using a cord. When I compared to a cord (this is subjective of course) I found that the difference was almost imperceptable. :cool::D

• Members

i just returned my sennheiser g2 series wireless. It is one of the top of the line wirelesses but you still hear some tone loss, it compressses your tone quite abit and your highs sound thin. There were no dropouts but there was a little extra noise present like a cheap cable. To some people it doesn't seem to matter but it surely bothered me after having paid over 400 bucks for it. As far as wireless goes sennheiser seems to make the best ones and then shure but honestly nothing beats a good cable.

• Members
Originally posted by The Boogie Man

I've never owned a wireless system for my guitar and I would like our band to try some, what system's are good but not to expensive? Are the Nady systems any good, Sound quality background noise, crosstalk?

Channels, which to choose, for a band where everyone has one.

Thanks!

My Samson Airline works fine.

• Members

If you are on a buget check out the AKG guitarbug. I've owned it for a few years and it has been good to me. I only noticed a slight difference between the Bug and the chord, but it is worth it to me to have the freedom a wireless system offers

• Members

i had an audio technica wireless once...other guitarist had a Nady, bassist used the same AT one i had. the other guitarist's tone was fine, bass player's was fine, mine sounded ok...but i could tell a huge difference between it and a cable.

it just wasnt working for me...so i switched back to a cable full time. traded the wireless for a guitar. i might have been able to make it sound much better if i woulda got to mess with it more than i did, but i just like to plug and play...so im kinda glad i got rid of it. im happy with my tone when i use a cable...so i guess i just better not mess with success :)

but i think that "you pay for quality" is part of the wireless game. a good system will be expensive...so good luck hunting :)

Archived