Good 10" speakers (similar to alnico blues) for Laney VC30?

ScreaminKing

• Members

I just recently purchased a Laney VC30 2x10 combo, and I'm looking into replacing the speakers.

The amp is basically supposed to be a Vox AC30-type amp, and I'm trying to figure out what speakers would be suitable replacements for these. Right now the amp is loaded with Celestion V10/40 speakers, which are ok but they're a bit ice-picky on the drive channel.

My friend has a little Traynor YCV20 with a greenback, and I love how smooth and compressed it can get when you drive it.

Any suggestions would be awesome.

• Members

green-backs would work very well in that amp.

webervst.com makes a VERY GOOD 'bull dog' type speaker in both ceramic and alnico versions. (you living in canada might make them a bit pricey tho'...? )

you're right, it is a nice amp but it needs a speaker swap from the stock ones.

another option is to load an ex-cab with 'smoother-darker' speakers and run it with the amp. i did that for a while with good results. however, i eventually swapped both the combo's and the ex-cab's speakers out for webers.

i'm very glad i did. (weber blue dog and silver bell)

• Members

Originally posted by mylzenmylz

green-backs would work very well in that amp.

webervst.com makes a VERY GOOD 'bull dog' type speaker in both ceramic and alnico versions. (you living in canada might make them a bit pricey tho'...? )

you're right, it is a nice amp but it needs a speaker swap from the stock ones.

another option is to load an ex-cab with 'smoother-darker' speakers and run it with the amp. i did that for a while with good results. however, i eventually swapped both the combo's and the ex-cab's speakers out for webers.

i'm very glad i did. (weber blue dog and silver bell)

Thanks for the help :) The main problem with using an extension cab is that I wanted this amp to be my small combo. I love the way the clean channel sounds on this amp, and the drive is great. It's just that after really messing with it for the last few days, I really think a lot of the potential is being wasted with those speakers.

• Members

Lots of drive channel amps are voiced that way. I don't know much about Laney amps but assuming it's a tube amp, try changing the preamp tube to a lower value, such as a 12AT7 instead of a 12AX7, that works well on lots of amps to smooth out the OD tone, you will get a little more clean head room too (nice). I did this to a friends Hotrod Deluxe and my Reverend and it really made a difference. As far as speakers I tried a Jensen MOD in my Reverend and WOW! way better than the stock speaker. If you swap your speaker it will change way more than your drive channel tone and cost way more than a tube.

Have fun :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by The Boogie Man

Lots of drive channel amps are voiced that way. I don't know much about Laney amps but assuming it's a tube amp, try changing the preamp tube to a lower value, such as a 12AT7 instead of a 12AX7, that works well on lots of amps to smooth out the OD tone, you will get a little more clean head room too (nice). I did this to a friends Hotrod Deluxe and my Reverend and it really made a difference. As far as speakers I tried a Jensen MOD in my Reverend and WOW! way better than the stock speaker. If you swap your speaker it will change way more than your drive channel tone and cost way more than a tube.

Have fun
:thu:

I have a bunch of tubes lying around including a 12AT7, and I have tried out some different combinations of preamp tubes as well. Right now I find that the clean channel is great, but that the drive channel isn't quite right. I know with another speaker I can still get great clean tones (possibly even better) and be able to bring the drive channel to life.

• Members

I've had similar tonal problems with a Laney AOR Pro-Tube. You get it adjusted for a good clean and the drive tones are naff. Set up a good drive tone and the clean is poor.

I have a V10-40 here, and the highs aren't ice-picky - in fact it's an somewhat more rounded tone than a greenback.

Have you looked at eminence at all? They have a good range of differently voiced 10" speakers. For a british tone more like a greenback you could try the Ramrod, or for more evenness and balance the copperhead could be a good bet. If you want to stay 2X10 then you could also mix them to bring out a wider tonal range.

Otherwise convert it to 1X12 and put a celestion G12H in there.

• Members

Originally posted by Alchemist

These will do the trick and then some. I've been using webers for over a year now, I think they are fantastic speakers, and the customer service is also top notch.
:thu:

Alnico Blue Pup:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/

apup10-rear.jpg

That's the one speaker I've found so far that pretty much exactly matches up.

I'm thinking I might need to go swing by Songbird, since they're the only place that really keeps a decent stock of speakers around Toronto. I'm sure they might have something. Usually if you buy a component from them, they'll install it for free. I think I need to give 'em a call.

• Members

Originally posted by ScreaminKing

I have a bunch of tubes lying around including a 12AT7, and I have tried out some different combinations of preamp tubes as well. Right now I find that the clean channel is great, but that the drive channel isn't quite right. I know with another speaker I can still get great clean tones (possibly even better) and be able to bring the drive channel to life.

Sounds like your doing it in the right order. I know some amps are tweaked to bright on the drive channel, if you knew the circuit or had a schematic you could figure out what cap to replace/remove in the tone stack and you would be closer to your goal.

• Members

A lot of the replacement sites mention what might be good replacement speakers for certain amps. I'm automatically looking for what they suggest in terms of an AC30, but there are a bunch of vintage sounding 10" alnico speakers out there. My first inclination is to look for something like an Alnico Blue, but all the other ones sound and look good as well.

What kind of specs should I focus on?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Did you ever get speakers??

A good compromise betweent the expense of the Weber and the Greenbacks, and better specs than a Tube 10, is the Eminence Legend 105. They are half the price of the Greens and the Webers.

I have a Weber in my Vox, very tight sound, love it. Excellent speakers.

I have a Celestion 70/80 I can plug in to the Vox, it's good, but not my favorite.

I put an Eminence in an old Champ and it sounds great. So I'm building a 2x10 with a pair of Legends. Made in the USA, too, just like the Webers.

Archived