If Kirk Hammett sucks, post something better than this

Master of You

• Members

Originally posted by shreder75

dude, you said the same thing I always think

someone who plays for a LIVING but doesn't get better?? all those shows, all those recording sessions..and still sounds just as bad now as when he cut the first album? there's no excuse for that..other than laziness in my book

my band's been together for a year and just from learnin' new songs and playin' in different keys I'm much better now than i was beforehand..

no {censored}, huh! I can tell you one guy off the top of my head that only gets better as he gets older: Richie Kotzen. Oh, and Gary Moore(make that two).

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Murdoch7621

yeah, Fade to Black is a good one...and a lot of his stuff of of MOP is really good too. some stuff off of AJFA is pretty good.

but there are more than a few players on this forum alone that could blow him away. they only lose in the fact that Hammett is far beyond rich and could give a hollow {censored} about who could play anything better than he could. i don't blame him. if i had hundreds of millions of dollars, i'd do nothing more than sit around naked, strum a G chord, and chant all day. well probably not. i'm not that lame. but the point is that i could if i wanted to.

Good points.

• Members

Originally posted by Murdoch7621

it sounds just like the wah-drenched pentatonic {censored} he's always done. that's his style, can't bag him on it, and he's made tons of cash on playing that way...

He's made tons of cash because James. Cliff and (ugh) Lars used to write great songs.

• Members

Originally posted by danyeo

Kirk hasn't played a memorable solo since the 80's, I would rather listen to a guitar player who can play in key, has a wide controlled vibrato, who doesn't have to step on the wah pedal every 3 seconds.

And why are you bringing up shred players? I'll say that a guy like Slash just {censored}in kills Kirk. He is way more tasty, has a fatter tone than Kirk, has better vibrato, he bends notes to the correct pitch and not flat or sharp all the time. SLash has way better blues chops also.

+1

• Members

Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah :bor:

YUK!

• Members
Originally posted by Grind Cruncher

Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah Wah, Wah
:bor:

YUK!

Ditto on that + infinity. God thats a horrible {censored}ing solo...

• Members

I pretty much came to the conclusion that there are plenty of people not familiar with Metallica, at least older Metallica, I'm guessing high school or junior high posters here.

Wah is few and far between in the older days.

To the "KiRk is ThE SuXXoRs.. HampSter LOL"" camp

Its clear they compare Kirk to a "shrapnel label" standard and its just laughable to do so. His technical skill clearly isnt any where near that realm. Its apples and oranges.

But he has plenty of memorable and hummable solos in one of the greatest thrash bands of all time.

weedley weedley weedley weedley weedley weeedlye weedley weeedley weedley weeee's arent the only thing that matters to listeners. I like Malmsteen and Gilbert myself, but if I had to choose, I wouldnt choose musicians who have ho-hum predictable backing tracks as a vehicle to weedley weedley weee over to show off their technical prowess.

And thats the beauty of guitar, everyone approaches it differently. His entire catalog has some extremely memorable and melodic solos, as well as those that would challenge virtually anyone, as well as bad ones. Just like a lot of players out there.

• Members

Originally posted by KirkHammett1

I pretty much came to the conclusion that there are plenty of people not familiar with Metallica, at least older Metallica, I'm guessing high school or junior high posters here.

Wah is few and far between in the older days.

To the "KiRk is ThE SuXXoRs.. HampSter LOL"" camp

Its clear they compare Kirk to a "shrapnel label" standard and its just laughable to do so. His technical skill clearly isnt any where near that realm. Its apples and oranges.

But he has plenty of memorable and hummable solos in one of the greatest thrash bands of all time.

weedley weedley weedley weedley weedley weeedlye weedley weeedley weedley weeee's arent the only thing that matters to listeners. I like Malmsteen and Gilbert myself, but if I had to choose, I wouldnt choose musicians who have ho-hum predictable backing tracks as a vehicle to weedley weedley weee over to show off their technical prowess.

And thats the beauty of guitar, everyone approaches it differently. His entire catalog has some extremely memorable and melodic solos, as well as those that would challenge virtually anyone, as well as bad ones. Just like a lot of players out there.

But the fact of the matter is that he is a household name because Metallica got soo big on songs that Hetfield and Lars wrote, not Kirk. If Metallica never took off Kirk Hamett would NOT be in the conversation of us guitar nerds, or anyone for that matter.

FWIW, i saw Metallica on the Master Of Puppets tour when they opened for Ozzy, the night belonged to Jake not Kirk and that was when Kirk played his best.

• Members

But the fact of the matter is that he is a household name because Metallica got soo big on songs that Hetfield and Lars wrote, not Kirk. If Metallica never took off Kirk Hamett would NOT be in the conversation of us guitar nerds, or anyone for that matter.

FWIW, i saw Metallica on the Master Of Puppets tour when they opened for Ozzy, the night belonged to Jake not Kirk and that was when Kirk played his best.

Thats how they all become household names.

Except of course, the type thats most commonly talked about on GUITAR MESSAGE BOARDS. Solo guitar instrumentalists. (non house hold names to the rest of world)

You think Jake E Lee would be a household name if not for OZZY?

• Members

Originally posted by KirkHammett1

Thats how they all become household names.

Except of course, the type thats most commonly talked about on GUITAR MESSAGE BOARDS. Solo guitar instrumentalists. (non house hold names to the rest of world)

You think Jake E Lee would be a household name if not for OZZY?

Badlands did ok on their own. And no, lots of guitar players made it because of their undeniable talent and the fact that they transcended the bands they were in. Randy Rhoads WAS the talent that ressurected Ozzy. Eddie is and was VH. How has Axle done without Slash?

Hetfield is Metallica and Kirk is the luckiest guy on the planet. Time for sleep.

• Members
Originally posted by Megadeth7684

I like Kirk, I hate how so many people bash him on here for no reason. Jealousy anyone? Great player IMO. Slash doesn't get bashed for playing "wah drenched pentatonic scales" so why should Kirk?

Can't say it any better than that Mega. :thu:

Now, can we stop this nonsense? Let's all sleep tight. :bor:

• Members
wow thats a cool clip and nice playing. Chuck (RIP) deserves more respect and is underrated I think. One of my favorites.

thanks...always appreciate compliments :wave:

Not impressed, sorry.

Kirk > You

no problem :)

but i think i have a valid point right now...ive seen two people give me compliments, and two other people say they dont like my playing (one of those people saying Kirk is > than me).

so naturally, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. some like what ive done, some dont...same with Kirk. just opinions.

but, looking at my clips and random other stuff ive done, i can say im progressing...which = if im not better than Kirk now, i will be soon :D LOL

sarcasm

• Members

MUSIC IS SUBJECTIVE

IF YOU LIKE HOW SOMETHING SOUNDS.... LISTEN TO IT

IF YOU DONT.... DONT

DONT HATE ON OTHER PEOPLE FOR LIKING IT AND THINKING THERE OPINION IS LESS VALID AND VICE VERSA

sorry for the caps lol but to illistrate the point. now im going to listen to AJFA :thu:

PS: Even if you don't like Hammet his sigs are kewl lol

• Members

There are plenty of better players out in professional world ...there definitely a few here who are 'better' in technique, but some of the names thrown out is getting just a bit generous I think :o

At the end of the day being the best player in the world doesn't mean {censored} if you are an ass....Metallica has been a pretty damn solid line up thru the years (compare that to Yngwie!) and Kirk being down to earth as he is has had alot to do with it ...he's the first person to admit his weaknesses as a player. Not to mention those guys were playing at that level in there early 20's and recording ground breaking albums

If you want to go one step further, in my travels I have seen plenty of dudes in cover bands all over the world that would bury some of the burnt out clique types here. So my advice would be build a bridge and get over it ..cause guess what ...no one gives a {censored}!
:wave:

• Members

I also saw that tour in Phoenix but I have a different version of the events: Metallica blew Ozzy off the stage. Jake was his only saving grace. He was outstanding and the only reason I just didnt leave early.

Picture a young Metallica onstage with the entire crowds fists flying and heads banging and moshes brewing:thu: ... Then picture Ozzy coming on and having the crowd do that sloooow arms moving back and forth jesture.:bor:

• Members

Well, I hear Gary Holt talked about quite often....

Archived