How Many Of You Test Your Tubes and How Often?

The Boogie Man

• Members

My amps are the only tube testers I need.

About once a year, I'll pop in my spare set of power tubes, check bias & play for a while. If they sound substantially better (and louder) than the ones I regularly use, I leave 'em in, trash the old ones and get a new "backup set."

• Members

Normally about 3 months, since I have a buddy that can put me on a scope and give a 'tune up' as needed.

With my current Boogie though, it's pretty easy since it's fixed bias and all I have to do is drop a set of matching tubes in, and since they are EL84s, it's not too expensive, same with the preamp tubes...

• Members

Id bet virtually none or a very small percentage. Im not willing to shell out the money for a reliable tube tester and there are none around here like back in the 1970's....Im serious about tube amps however Im guessing that you think tube testers are within the average persons reach.:freak:

• Members
Originally posted by rockon1000

Id bet virtually none or a very small percentage. Im not willing to shell out the money for a reliable tube tester and there are none around here like back in the 1970's....Im serious about tube amps however Im guessing that you think tube testers are within the average persons reach.
:freak:

so all Digital MM are junk.??..

• Members

Id bet virtually none or a very small percentage. Im not willing to shell out the money for a reliable tube tester and there are none around here like back in the 1970's....Im serious about tube amps however Im guessing that you think tube testers are within the average persons reach.
:freak:

You don't need to spend much on a tester if you look around. I bought a nice knight 700b in mint condition from a fellow for $35 bucks and it has served me well. It tests for gas, emissions and shorts.

• Members

Originally posted by Sir Don

How can you test a tube with a digital MM? Just curious.

Maybe I can clear this up.

You need a Tube tester to check most tube functions. Because of the nature of tube they only work when warmed up and have a working current going through them. The most common test are to check for grid emissions, shorts, and strength or quality of the filaments Cathode/Anode. Some better Testers also give a Life Test/Gas test, stress test.

I was just wondering because the more you know about your amp the better you can understand how things work, the better choices you can make. Just putting tubes in it and hoping for the best seems like a blind faith approach. Most problems with tube amps start with the tubes.

• Members
Originally posted by clamdip7714

You don't need to spend much on a tester if you look around. I bought a nice knight 700b in mint condition from a fellow for $35 bucks and it has served me well. It tests for gas, emissions and shorts.

I guess it would help to be a bit lucky and know what your looking for.:)

• Members

My Congrats!!!

Someone with some smarts, those are a great tester I have a Dayna 707 and a Sentronics Mighty Might. :thu:

• Members
Originally posted by The Boogie Man

My Congrats!!!

Someone with some smarts, those are a great tester I have a Dayna 707 and a Sentronics Mighty Might.
:thu:

Kewl! :thu: My Knight isn't a Hickok but damn, I don't have a few hundred to drop either. ;) Plus that style of tester is overkill for a player IMO.

I also find having a tester helps buying bulk tubes off ebay and testing for the good ones. I have RCA 12ax7s, GEs on and on which still test strong. Having a tester helps in many ways. :)

• Members

I guess it would help to be a bit lucky and know what your looking for.
:)

Research. There are plenty of sights online to get info on testers. Don't head to amp pages, not that they don't know but I find the real knowhow comes from the radioheads. There are electronic swap meets in most cities, or just like I did. Know what you want, watch eBay new items and nab a BIT when a good one comes up.

Example Knight 600b:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Knight-Tube-Tester-KG-600B-w-manual-NR_W0QQitemZ7587957779

• Members

Kewl!
:thu:
My Knight isn't a Hickok but damn, I don't have a few hundred to drop either.
;)
Plus that style of tester is overkill for a player IMO.

I also find having a tester helps buying bulk tubes off ebay and testing for the good ones. I have RCA 12ax7s, GEs on and on which still test strong. Having a tester helps in many ways.
:)

Yep got to love them testers, my 2 are great, one for the shop and one for the road. Since I grew up in a TV repair shop, I'm a little old fashioned. I learned to test componets not just guess if they are good or bad. Over the last 25 years, I've gotten 100's of good used tubes from guys who just wanted new tubes in their amp, and wouldn't bother to test them. Yet, I'll let them use my equipment free, and some just want new tubes anyway and some throw away the old ones . :confused: BTW I'm not a tube dealer or a profesional Amp Tech, it's just a hobby for me.

• Members

I'm a little old fashioned. I learned to test componets not just guess if they are good or bad.

C,mon give me a break. This sounds very condesending.I test components for a living -day in, day out(for the last 28 yrs).....

• Members

What? You say you test componets for a living and don't have a tube tester? Tell me what componets do you test, how do you test them and what are they for. Who do you work for doing this testing? Sounds like a boring job.

The last time I checked, tube amps were pretty simple and about the only thing that wears out on a regular basis is the tubes.

I have probably 20,000$ worth of tools but,ummm, no 40 yr old tube testers...lol!I need to test electric components of the cars/automatic transmissions I build(solenoids,sensors, etc) and outboard sensors,wiring and computers also. Mainly with a digital multi meters,test probes and scanners. The point I was making is that Im well aware of the value of testing components and I found it annoying somebody would say "I learned to test componets not just guess if they are good or bad." Using an 40 year old piece of equipment to test my tubes may prove interesting but Im not sure of its real value-unless the equipment was refurbished and recalibrated.Ive been using tube amps for 30 yrs and have gotten by without one however I may yet find an old tube tester and having a go at it for fun.......Thanks for critiquing my job before you had a clue as to what I did for a living.Its a PITA sometimes but not boring.:rolleyes:

• Members
Originally posted by Mel Cooley

Never. I replace power tubes when things start sounding weak. Preamp tubes let you know when they're dying.

Same here. As long as it sounds good then I've got no problem. So I guess you should say I test my tubes with my ears. ;)

• Members

I have probably 20,000$ worth of tools but,ummm, no 40 yr old tube testers...lol!I need to test electric components of the cars/automatic transmissions I build(solenoids,sensors, etc) and outboard sensors,wiring and computers also. Mainly with a digital multi meters,test probes and scanners. The point I was making is that Im well aware of the value of testing components and I found it annoying somebody would say "I learned to test componets not just guess if they are good or bad." Using an 40 year old piece of equipment to test my tubes may prove interesting but Im not sure of its real value-unless the equipment was refurbished and recalibrated.Ive been using tube amps for 30 yrs and have gotten by without one however I may yet find an old tube tester and having a go at it for fun.......Thanks for critiquing my job before you had a clue as to what I did for a living.Its a PITA sometimes but not boring.
:rolleyes:

You didn't give me enough onfo to critique your job.

I been doing this a long time, I built my first Stereo in the early '60's before Stereo was even popular, and it still works today, though I've had to make a few mods, replace some parts and tubes of course, it still works. So what's wrong with a 40 year old Tube Tester? nothing, they will last almost for ever, and most are self calabrating, there's not much to go wrong. I think my little one was built in the early '70's the other is from the '50's and makes a great shop tester. It's still a lot better than a guess in any event. The only thing you may need to calbrate is the meter, for tube strength, there's no way to calibrate a test for shorts or grid emissions and isn't needed, the most important two things to go wrong with a other wise working tube and a short in a power tube will kill your amp. A weak tube is just a weak tube, that's easy to figure. If you find a Tube Tester get it, they are a great tool for a guy like you, and kind of fun. When I was a kid I worked in my dad's TV repair shop making repairs and testing stuff all the time, but wouldn't want to do it for a living. But it makes a great hobby.

Archived