Buying an Andromeda

kilon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Didn't the Andromeda pretty much bankrupt Alesis?

I played with one recently to see what all of the hype was about, and it didn't floor me. I can get stuff like that and more from my Virus TI and my Korg Z1. Sure they're VAs and not real analog, but they are very good at a variety of synth sounds - standard, freaky, ambient, and really {censored}ed-up stuff for those inclined. I like the real analog on my Juno 6, Akai AX-80, and DSI Evolver much better.

I wasn't fond of the way that each control seemed to change more than one parameter at once, which was annoying. Maybe it was the way that the patches were configured. I think I'd rather have a Prophet '08 or just get a real modular synth and build-in some polyphony for pads and atmospheres. For the price of a new Andromeda I could build a pretty nice MOTM or something similar and have better discrete control of the analog path.

• Members

Didn't the Andromeda pretty much bankrupt Alesis?

That was the rumor, but I remember a thread when some ex-Alesis people came along and listed some projects that *way* screwed Alesis over more. (One I recall being mentioned was the massive failure of the Alesis Wedge, for instance.) The Andromeda may have been a bit of the issue, but there were other factors going on.

Apart from the Micron, the Andromeda's the only Alesis synth still being sold. It obviously hasn't been *all* bad for Alesis.

• Members

That was the rumor, but I remember a thread when some ex-Alesis people came along and listed some projects that *way* screwed Alesis over more. (One I recall being mentioned was the massive failure of the Alesis Wedge, for instance.) I doubt the Andromeda helped but there were other factors going on.

Apart from the Micron, the Andromeda's the only Alesis synth still being sold. It obviously hasn't been *all* bad for Alesis.

That's funny, I actually got a Wedge a few months ago for about $40. It's pretty cool, and the faders are unique for changing multiple parameters on the fly. Imagine tweaking many reverb and delay (or whatever) parameters simultaneously in real time. It makes some very interesting sounds tweaks.

I'm not knocking Alesis. I have a lot of their stuff, but the A6 seems over-hyped and over-priced. If I had no other gear or less experience with gear I would probably be an instant fanboy. Unfortunately I have become jaded.

However, I'm glad some people enjoy their A6 boards. There are many ways to skin a cat.

• Members

As far as I know, the one that really got Alesis in trouble was the HD24, they invested in it like it was going to be the new ADAT, and computers took over from hardware recorders.

You'd think that Numark would drop the product but HD24s are still in production and much loved by their owners.

• Members

That's funny, I actually got a Wedge a few months ago for about $40. It's pretty cool, and the faders are unique for changing multiple parameters on the fly. Imagine tweaking many reverb and delay (or whatever) parameters simultaneously in real time. It makes some very interesting sounds tweaks.

I had one too when they were blown out for $99 (which was a substantial discount from their original price, the SOS article lists it for 449 pounds). I sold it. The tweaking was neat, but the effects were kind of mediocre in my opinion compared to my other FX. I really am not a big user of real-time DJ type effects, and if I was, IMHO Korg got the real-time tweaking effects parameters thing way more right with the Kaoss Pad anyways.

• Members

That was the rumor, but I remember a thread when some ex-Alesis people came along and listed some projects that *way* screwed Alesis over more. (One I recall being mentioned was the massive failure of the Alesis Wedge, for instance.) The Andromeda may have been a bit of the issue, but there were other factors going on.

... .

Post #12 in this thread:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?p=35765423#post35765423

• Members

Just don't forget to come up for air. I usually wear a snorkel when programming my A6.

Well all day yesterday was dedicated into browsing through presets, doing some tests to see that everything works ok and I dont have to return it... Its seems very stable at the moment , but time will tell how stable really is.

So no editing yet....

But when editing starts which will be probably today, I was thinking of setting up a tube that will provide me with constant supply of oxygen , directly connected to the surface. I would hate to interrupt my editing frenzy. :cop::wave:

• Members

Very good, kilon!

Pictures, and songs made with it are now going to follow, right?
:)

Absolutely, afterall my setups is pretty minimum so I seeing andromeda right in the center of pretty much anything and motif es6 for accoustic sounds and some good presets. But I see my blofeld collecting dust from now on.

So yes you are going to hear definitely a song dedicated to the BARONS (louis and Bebe) , which means, sound effects and random experimental stuff.. it will be 100% andromeda

Photos are easy, probably the barons song is going to be follow by a youtube video as well. I made several for blofeld I am sure I will make a few hundred for andromeda as well.

:cop::cop::cop:

• Members

Kilon. You are a lucky man!
:cool:

yes I am my friend! A dream came true...

By the way I loved the reply of a previous poster he says he does not like andromeda because is over hyped and over priced. And then he mentions he owns a VIRUS TI

hahaha

almost fall of my chair...

a good one. :lol:

• Members

yes I am my friend! A dream came true...

By the way I loved the reply of a previous poster he says he does not like andromeda because is over hyped and over priced. And then he mentions he owns a VIRUS TI

hahaha

almost fall of my chair...

a good one.
:lol:

:sprays coffee over laptop: :D

• Members

I have to agree with that assessment. I found the Virus much more useful than the Andromeda. The A6 is a decent synth, but it's overhyped and overpriced. Its outrageous project budget was one of the main factors that bankrupted Alesis and it is easy to see why. The end result does not justify the high price.

That being said, someone who wants a new A6 should buy one soon. This synth has been available for quite a few years. It won't be in production forever.

oh .... you are serious!!!

you know of course that Andromeda cost less than a VIRUS TI ? Do you know also that modulation wise , Virus is not even better than 400 euro Blofeld?

As matter of fact its modulation options are ridiculous for a synth at that price range, 6 slot modulation matrix (that is 2 more than my motif es6, 16 is for blofeld)

1 lonely arpeggiator.... blofeld and andromeda have 16

Fm implementation is pretty limited... only osc1 and 2... blofeld and andromeda have fm at both filters as well. And bare in mind doing fm on an analogue is not an easy feat.

Virus offer only ADSR envelops !!!! Both blofeld and andromeda offer multi envelops.

In only area the Virus is better than andromeda is graintable and formant synthesis , which is cool, nice wavetables and good effects.

But andromeda is so deep that it can drown the tiny Virus in just 1 second. Especially in complex sound like sounscapes and textures and pads that take the breath away.

Virus is good for old boring static sounds.... nahhhh

I would not touch it with a stick. 2200 euros wasted. Even a Nord Modular G2 costs less!!!! with the expansion included!!!

• Members

yes, alesis never get the same love as the likes of korg and roland.

yet i've found myself building up a load of their stuff over the years without really thinking about it: monitor 1 speakers, RA100 amp, SR16 drum machine and now an Andy. and the ion and micron have a strong following.

i don't really think they get the credit they're due. :cry:

• Members

yes, alesis never get the same love as the likes of korg and roland.

yet i've found myself building up a load of their stuff over the years without really thinking about it: monitor 1 speakers, RA100 amp, SR16 drum machine and now an Andy. and the ion and micron have a strong following.

i don't really think they get the credit they're due.
:cry:

of course I would not like to see andromeda lurking anywhere like a virus...

I love to own a synth that is not so popular.. one way make sure that I dont sound similar to other people.

• Members

I think the Andromeda is already destined to become a classic. 10 years from now it will probably be as highly regarded as a Prophet 5. :cool:

...let us not forget though, the Virus Ti is also an outstanding VA Synthesizer, highly regarded by some, and it ain't so popular for nothing.

I think the saying 'chalk and cheese' is possibly an appropriate term here.

• Members

I think the Andromeda is already destined to become a classic. 10 years from now it will probably be as highly regarded as a Prophet 5.
:cool:

...let us not forget though, the Virus Ti is also an outstanding VA Synthesizer, highly regarded by some, and it ain't so popular for nothing.

I think the saying 'chalk and cheese' is possibly an appropriate term here.

I would love to hear with no intention for starting a fight what is so outstanding about virus.

I tried two times to pick virus and failed, the first case I wanted some good presets, but my Motif Es6 just blows Andromeda and Virus in that department.

And I wanted a real deep, synth engine, here is virus with its big omissions , chose Andromeda.

I dont agree its schalk and cheeze, or apple and orranges , or cars and motorbikes because we are talking about synths afterall.

And synths are divided into 2 categories, preset machines and real synth engines. It does not get any simpler.

I see why a trance artist would think that just because a virus is very good at making trance sounds , other synths are not. Afterall trance artists are not well known for their original sounds... unless we are talking about some exception but surprise surprise many of them do not even use a virus.

Obviously one cannot argue that virus cannot make great sounds, but specs are specs . I just cant justify paying more for a synth offering much less.

Its just defies logic.

Other than that, I am sure all can use virus to make great music, but the same I would say for any other synth out there.

Just yesterday I saw a youtube video with a guy using Media Record and Windows default sounds to make a great track.

[YOUTUBE]CqoPiXqH3hI[/YOUTUBE]

Archived