Buying an Andromeda

kilon

• Members

I would love to hear with no intention for starting a fight what is so outstanding about virus.

I don't know about "outstanding", but I found earlier versions at least to be rather nice sounding. In fact, I'd chose a Virus B over a classic Nord Lead, JP8000 or other VAs.

So, really, the Virus was not a bad synth at all in its day.

The Virus TI does pull that neat trick of acting as a softie while being a hardware synth. (Though I've heard that it was buggy in the past, dunno if it's that way now? That could be very advantageous depending on your situation.)

Personally, the expense isn't for me. Overall, when it comes to VAs, I favor plugins over hardware. With several real analogs or hybrids, I honestly rarely desire the VA sound. I have a few freebies like Tal-U-no-60 or Superwave P8 when the need arises.

But if it works for you, it works for you. :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would love to hear with no intention for starting a fight what is so outstanding about virus....

The keybed/action on the 61 key versions of the Virus are superb. One of my favorites.

When it comes to programmability, there are far more capable synths than the Virus though. The Virus is not bad, but you'll run into walls that other synths have solutions for.

The other really good thing about the Virus series is the fx sections, both pre and post filter.

The new oscillator types are pretty good too.

The sound of the A6 is much richer and fuller though to my ears. And if you like to get into the deep end of synth programming, the A6 offers many more options. Waldorf and Kurzweil are two more brands that offer synths with many more programming options than the Virus.

The A6 also seems to get into a lot of 'comparison' matches. How does it compare to modulars, minis and other classic synths, poly, monos, and yes, even VA's. People want to know how it compares to everything.

IMO, it's best to use each piece for its individual strenghts.

Archived