Buying an Andromeda

kilon

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pots (or potentiometers) have a range of about 270 degrees and you know what setting you are on by where the little mark on the cap points to.

1-6a.gif

Encoders are also called "endless encoders" and they'll go "endlessly" to either side after having reached the max or minimum values. And they'll always start at the point where the preset was recorded, not having a mark stating where they are (unless it's something like a Nord Lead 3, which marks the encoder setting via a led).

encoder1.gif

NL3_home.jpg

• Members

That stinks! Is there a mode fore the A6 where the parameter won't change unless you sweep through the preset point? If so, that may help stop the parameter from jumping to the pot's position until you sweep through the current programmed value. I don't have the manual or synth in front of me or else I'd check for you. - J.

• Members

christianrock thanks for the illustrative explanation!

So that means that pot are better for you guys cause you dont need to stare at a screen to see values all is illustrated by the knob itself ? Or is it something else ?

• Members

Everybody's different... I don't mind encoders the way they were implemented in the NL3. I think that works well.

But in general, pots are better because when I'm working on a sound, I have a good idea of where I want the pot to be, regardless of where it is when I pick it up to change it. I just think it feels better to tweak. But I can work with either, really. To me, it's not nearly as big an issue as some people make it out to be... but that might be because I've never had encoders go bad. Apparently they're not as reliable as potentiometers.

• Members

Everybody's different... I don't mind encoders the way they were implemented in the NL3. I think that works well.

But in general, pots are better because when I'm working on a sound, I have a good idea of where I want the pot to be, regardless of where it is when I pick it up to change it. I just think it feels better to tweak. But I can work with either, really. To me, it's not nearly as big an issue as some people make it out to be... but that might be because I've never had encoders go bad. Apparently they're not as reliable as potentiometers.

I see , it makes sense. Well I would prefer pots as well. Dont like to stare at any kind of screen really.

• Members

I was kinda wondering about the "screens" comments too. Either way,pot or rotary encoders, you will likely look at a parameter change on a data screen.

Personally I prefer the endless encoders. Makes it so much easier when tweaking.

J.

• Members

Ah I see. Well, encoders don't necessarily mean menus and screens... like i said, on the Nord Lead 3, there is none of that.

At the same time, a pot doesn't mean there won't be a screen either... in Andromeda's case, you can fine-tune a parameter that you edited with the pot...

Edit: Numina beat me to the answer...

• Members

Ah I see. Well, encoders don't necessarily mean menus and screens... like i said, on the Nord Lead 3, there is none of that.

At the same time, a pot doesn't mean there won't be a screen either... in Andromeda's case, you can fine-tune a parameter that you edited with the pot...

Edit: Numina beat me to the answer...

i meant encoders dont show precisely the value as pots. So most encoder usually depend on screen for precise view.

No?

Anyway probably a useless point , ignore me and carry on.

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NL3 works around the endless rotary and current parameter position by the use of an array of LEDs surrounding the knob...? Which is a great alternative and the best of both worlds! An immediate visual parameter setting and endless rotary.

A good example of having to refer to a screen with endless rotary is with Waldorf synths.

Jesse

• Members

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the NL3 works around the endless rotary and current parameter position by the use of an array of LEDs surrounding the knob...? Which is a great alternative and the best of both worlds! An immediate visual parameter setting and endless rotary.

A good example of having to refer to a screen with endless rotary is with Waldorf synths.

Jesse

the exact thing happens with BCR2000 , but for precise editing belive it deos not help much. It may light like a christmas tree but in the end the screen comes to the rescue. Fortunately BCR2000 also displays values on screen.

With pots it is a bit more precise to see where you are in term of value.

Anyway as I said it is no big deal for me. I use encoders with led with my bcr2000 , endless encoders with no leds with my blofeld and pots with my yamaha motif es6.

• Members

the exact thing happens with BCR2000 , but for precise editing belive it deos not help much. It may light like a christmas tree but in the end the screen comes to the rescue. Fortunately BCR2000 also displays values on screen.

With pots it is a bit more precise to see where you are in term of value.

Not true, because with pots you will have the pot cap pointing to a setting that is not true once you call on a preset that is different from what you were programming.

Thus, enter the motorized pots! Which synths don't have, unfortunately. That's the one thing that attracts me to the MC-808 (motorized faders, not pots btw).

XzUt5YI_UdY

• Members

Not true, because with pots you will have the pot cap pointing to a setting that is not true once you call on a preset that is different from what you were programming.

Thus, enter the motorized pots! Which synths don't have, unfortunately. That's the one thing that attracts me to the MC-808 (motorized faders, not pots btw).

Yeah I know that, but I wanted to say that I find the pot pointer more precise than the led pointer. But as I said no big deal.

• Members

That stinks! Is there a mode fore the A6 where the parameter won't change unless you sweep through the preset point? If so, that may help stop the parameter from jumping to the pot's position until you sweep through the current programmed value. I don't have the manual or synth in front of me or else I'd check for you. - J.

The Andromeda does have this mode.

• Members

From the manual:

PAGE PARAMETER OPTIONS or RANGE

PANEL PTHRU NONE

Knob pass-thru mode MODLST

ALL

DESCRIPTION

When set to ALL, the knob must pass through

the current value before the value will change.

When set to MODLST, this behavior is applied to

the mod lists only.

(Formatting doesn't transfer correctly when copying, but you get the idea, right?)

The manual is available from the Alesis site. It's probably a good idea for anyone getting an A6 to take a look at the manual.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

good news guys ... just received my andromeda....

I have been playing with it 3 hours now.

Its sounds amazing

To all those people saying that presets suck ... well I definitely like them, strangely enough none of them really shows what the synth is capable of, but they are an excellent starting point for editing and some of them are very good.

Concerning bugs and problems , I checked Andromeda for bad voices and so far reports no problem (done the voice monitor test) , the synth does not see to behave out of the ordinary to this point.

I really love the knobs they feel so comfortable in my hands.

Not difficult to use at all, but it came with a huge manual that as far as I have read is very easy to understand.

I have not experienced any big out of tune issue so far. There is a detune in some presets but that must be intended , cause other presets sound very ordinary.

Thanks to all who motivated me into buying this beauty, I now have the tool to make the next step in music.

Archived