I CAN NOT Believe That Chuck Schuldiner Used A Valvestate Head For Death Tones

Robotechnology

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by yabba

people need to get over the ss = crap thing. especially for metal, there are some excellent SS amps out there.

actually, on second thought; solid state sucks! don't buy one! keep the prices low!

Isn't there a newer crate that is 350 watts and has the same circutry as a VH140?

• Members

I played in a band with a guy that had 5 or 6 of the 8100's. Killer amp for the price. He'd drop the treble down really low and it'd pretty much get the exact Chuck tone from the later albums. Never ran into any issues at practice or live with him being too quiet.

• Members

Originally posted by Inearthed

I played in a band with a guy that had 5 or 6 of the 8100's. Killer amp for the price. He'd drop the treble down really low and it'd pretty much get the exact Chuck tone from the later albums. Never ran into any issues at practice or live with him being too quiet.

That is the way I ran my ValveState.

The EQ said "0" to "10"....so I had this brilliant idea of starting everything at "0" and go from there. Pure genius I know, but gosh darn if it did take most of the Marshall screech out of it.

Now, let's get back to this worthless tube thingy.

• Members

Originally posted by JnBroadbent

Isn't there a newer crate that is 350 watts and has the same circutry as a VH140?

I think you mean the Crate GT-3500; I've heard it's similar to the vh140 (although only 350 watts with a 2 ohm load)

the crate gx130c is another that gets lots of recommendations for death metal stuff. (I think cannibal corpse used them)

• Members

I have one that i used to use regularly. It was my second amp ever (after an Ashton GA-80 combo that has now become my at home jammin amp...and my "i have an idea..better record it" amp).
I wasn't a massive fan of it so now it just kinda sits around and gathers dust.
I really should sell her............;):idea:

To a good home

• Members

i used a vs-100 in a band situation for a long while, due to being broke, lol...and got some VERY usable tones out of it. i ran an eq through the loop, which did wonders for the overall quality of the tone. we did lack the bottom end a bit, though, b/c our bass player at the time was more of slap/pop style player in the vein of Les Claypool. but the overall tone of the amp was quite nice for what we were doing. i'd use one again, definitely. but not an AVT...i tried them out, those things are {censored}.

• Members

Originally posted by OneHappyPappy

I think the JB is on the trebely side so it might have some really cool highs mixed with Mids.. I have an evo in my jackson and it sounds good with a good helping of mids.

The evo is incredably bright.

For just a one pickup user that plays alot of lead (think Alexi for Cob) which pickup should I go with?

• Members
Originally posted by Miskatonic

Seeing as Death is in my top 3 favorite bands list, I decided to get an 8100 via an auction on e-bay, lol. I wonder if I"m starting to get GAS.
:eek:

Nice job. As long as you have a good cab and an eq pedal in the loop, you'll be home free........

• Members
Originally posted by realbeeker

you can say studio magic but they really kept it up well live.

Yes

I can get that same tone out of my Crate GT-3500H. That head is the best thing on the market imho and as much as i love my Laney GH100TI, it kicks that things ass for death metal.:thu:

• Members
Originally posted by Miskatonic

Well I recieved my 8100 today, looks pretty darn good.

Do you guys think I can get some good Exodus tones out of it?

I love the tone on the Another Lesson in Violence, Live album.

Needs some OD pedals for that. Maybe 4 or 5.:D

Archived