I CAN NOT Believe That Chuck Schuldiner Used A Valvestate Head For Death Tones

Robotechnology

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by Robotechnology

Chuck Schuldiner used a Marshall Valvestate 8100 head if I am not mistaken for at least half of Death's CDs
:eek:
I am shocked. He gave us a lot of great headbanging rhythm tones over the years with that $300 head
:cool:

:cry:
RIP Chuck

&

Let the metal flow into eternity

In Flames used that same head on Jester Race and Whoracle, and Meshuggah used it for some of their old albums as well.

• Members

Originally posted by Megadeth7684

In Flames used that same head on Jester Race and Whoracle, and Meshuggah used it for some of their old albums as well.

well, in flames used a boss metal zone into the effect return of some marshall... was it a valvestate?

• Members

Originally posted by Wurper

well, in flames used a boss metal zone into the effect return of some marshall... was it a valvestate?

Yup, it was the 8100. They used a Boss HM-2 pedal as well as the Metalzone I believe. I heard they actually asked Anders Bjorler of At The Gates if they could use his rig from Slaughter of The Soul, but he said no! :D

• Members

I am not surprised at all.

I used a VS100r combo for many several years on gigs. I go the same kinds of tones I hear in the bigheads...just not the same volume and headroom.

I took a lot of the "buzziness" and "fizz" out by having the high EQ and presence at or near zero.

Who woulda thought you can do that to an EQ?... adjust it. :idea:

Then add a little studio magic...there's no reason at all you couldn't get some serious marshall crunch.

Nope, not surprised. OF course I actually USED one on the gigs intead of in the store or read the H-C reviews.:rolleyes:

• Members

I owned a 8100 till about 7 years ago .. I bought it new back in 91 or 92 . To this day still the best crushing tone I have had . I have been kicking myself in the ass for the last 7 years ...

Anyway .... when recentley looking for new amp/head I did not find the new Valvestates ( AVT ) decent at all . At most I could only get kind of close . But nothing like I had with the 8100 .

I played a old Ibanez RG with all EMG ... 81 in the bridge . It also had a custom all rosewood neck with a ebony fingerboard . I was told this darkened my tone a little but it still crushed before I got the neck .

And I can vouch for Tommy Victor .. I saw the Cleansing tour and he was in his retro 70's thing . wearing old Levi chords and playing a SG into the 8100 . I was close enough to see the settings till I had no choice but to mosh ...

• Members

Alot of people bad mouth the valvestate line....

anyway long story short. I have TWO VS-65R's

in addition to my SLO, Splawn and Bassman. Yes...the VS's

are a little buzzy but still VERY dynamic and give

me plenty of Marshall vibe for smaller venues

and a cheaper price. :thu:

Archived