I CAN NOT Believe That Chuck Schuldiner Used A Valvestate Head For Death Tones

Robotechnology

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was using the 8100 with a fender telecaster and LTD MV-200, I tried using the onboard drive, but I thought it had so little gain. In order to get anything near to Death type tones, I had to use a overdirve or distortion pedal in front. I used a Crate GS412 cab with it. Mine was used, so maybe something was up with it that I wasn't aware of. But, from what I remember, I honestly cannot see anyone using that amp for metal by itself.

• Members

Originally posted by exposeenmity

I was using the 8100 with a fender telecaster and LTD MV-200, I tried using the onboard drive, but I thought it had so little gain. In order to get anything near to Death type tones, I had to use a overdirve or distortion pedal in front. I used a Crate GS412 cab with it. Mine was used, so maybe something was up with it that I wasn't aware of. But, from what I remember, I honestly cannot see anyone using that amp for metal by itself.

Were you on the od2 channel with the button pushed in, gain to 20? If you were, then there was something definitely wrong with it. Everything from Individual Thought Patterns onwards was recorded with the 8100. The amp was recommended to Chuck by producer Scott Burns over at Morris Sound Studios in Florida. During the time of ITP, Chuck was leaning towards using rack gear but wasn't happy with the sound he was getting. Burns was going gaga over this amp so he suggested it to Chuck and the rest is history....

• Members

Originally posted by realbeeker

you can say studio magic but they really kept it up well live.

Doesn't matter. You can still apply that so-called "studio magic" to live work. Miked up cabinet, mixer, some effects, most important EQ and the mixer. That's something that is totally forgotten with all of the people out there searching for, say, EVH's old sound.

• Members

I played with a band for a very short time where the other guitarist had one of those. I remember thinking it sounded pretty good at the time, so its no surprise to me that some guys can get some good tones out of em. I dont subscribe to the all tube amps only feelings of most players though. I have gotten some great tones out of some SS amps for rock and metal when I needed to.

• Members

Originally posted by danhops

I have gotten some great tones out of some SS amps for rock and metal when I needed to.

ValveState amps are tube preamp into SS poweramplification.

The power of the preamp tube into SS amps is moot, but it *could* be argued that there IS a tube in the tone loop, especially early...so it's a tube-driven sound.

IS it that far fetched that the tube originates the tone and the SS amplifies it...giving a decent tube sound?

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

ValveState amps are tube preamp into SS poweramplification.

The power of the preamp tube into SS amps is moot, but it *could* be argued that there IS a tube in the tone loop, especially early...so it's a tube-driven sound.

IS it that far fetched that the tube originates the tone and the SS amplifies it...giving a decent tube sound?

Actually, the whole amp is SS, Preamp and Poweramp. Then there is 1 preamp tube right at the end of the preamp to 'warm it up' but has nothing to do with the actual gain.

• Members

Originally posted by Shask

Actually, the whole amp is SS, Preamp and Poweramp. Then there is 1 preamp tube right at the end of the preamp to 'warm it up' but has nothing to do with the actual gain.

Okay....

You're telling me the "whole amp is ss".

Then you tell me there is a preamp tube to "warm it up".

You'll have to tell me what that means.

Is the "whole" amp solid state or not?

• Members

Originally posted by 17 Tubes

Okay....

You're telling me the "whole amp is ss".

Then you tell me there is a preamp tube to "warm it up".

You'll have to tell me what that means.

Is the "whole" amp solid state or not?

The whole amp is SS. The tube just kinda sits there as a buffer after the preamp. It actually doesnt create any distortion.

• Members

The whole amp is SS. The tube just kinda sits there as a buffer after the preamp. It actually doesnt create any distortion.

Um...I never said it creates "distortion".

I still don't get the "whole amp is ss". And the "tube just kiund of sits there".

So:

the amp is NOT all solid state, and you're not sure WHAT the tube actually DOES?

I am actually serious. I honestly don't know what you're talking about.:confused:

• Members

I dont really know how to explain it, since you want to nitpick the fact there is a tube in there, and I say its all SS.

Generally a Preamp tube creates distortion. Thats where 'tube tone' comes from.

The tube in SS Marshalls are a bufffer. Think of it like an EQ sitting in the FX loop with the sliders set flat. Yes, it may effect the tone in a slight way, but you could basically take it out, and get the same thing.

Basically what I am saying, is you could bypass the tube in a VS, and have the same tone. It does very little. This is COMPLETELY different than a tube preamp.

• Members

Originally posted by code_blue

Does anyone know if Chuck used an 8100 on the Live in L.A. DVD?

I think he does, and the tone it pretty damn good, real clear and doesnt lack in the low end.

Yeah, he does, you can see it behind him on the left...

• Members

The tube in SS Marshalls are a bufffer. Think of it like an EQ sitting in the FX loop with the sliders set flat. Yes, it may effect the tone in a slight way, but you could basically take it out, and get the same thing.

Did you hear this from someone that did that?

Archived